Page 22 of 58 FirstFirst ... 121920212223242532 ... LastLast

Thread: OverParse

I have a request. Could you get rid of the transparent background? OverParse actually has a setting for window opacity, but even when it's set to "Opaque", the main area still has a transparent background. It makes it a hassle when I want to share nice screenshots of damage with team members, since I have to pay attention to what's showing through the window.

This post is about using OverParse to analyze things....
    Considering this as a more proper way of thinking rather than "OH LOOK AT MY DAMAGE".

I play as Keilyn (written in Katakana).
    The map area is the Floating Continent White Day XH event.

My build set-up is that I focus more on offensive-support using crafted wands for mobbing and when i have more PP I have mobbing combos set up on Gunslash and Twin Daggers. I also have some bossing setups, once again for supporting others....

So I will start with a screenshot, and analysis.

Map Analysis: The map usually spawns mobs that are Light or Dark Element Weaknesses either together or separately. The map also runs Light and Dark bosses and subbosses. This map is divided into several areas and my build places me in the front of the pack when mobbing or bossing in a line, but center of the mob/boss when surrounding the boss...

Class used: Fighter/Techer
    Weapons used:
    Queen Vera 10350 (light)
    Crafted Wand of Zamuiran (light) 10350 + Silva level crafting
    Crafted Ex-Wand 10350 (dark) + Silva Level Crafting
    Ideal Daggers 10160 (light)
    Draag Vol 10350 (dark)

Rings used: Twin Dagger Air Chase, Attack Advance Ring

Units used: Challenge set (Ideal Armor) Non-Crafted, Non-Altered.

Role-Analysis: I started by being able to mob normally. I wasn't racing to kill mobs as I travel with the MPA. I was neck and neck with KOS-MOS for the first 2 minutes. As the run continued, the bosses started surprising players and I tossed in zanverse + megiverse and focused on keeping players alive.

I was second place most of the round in DPS and towards the end things go heavier and I decided it was far more important to help keep the positioning and offensive quality of the DPS players in the boss fights, than maintaining my own place. I was also the only healing and maintaining buffs throughout as well, though there was a player who did cast shifta strike and deband toughness.

Overkill severity: I didn't find much of that in this run. However, it happens a lot with players who play to Damage Trackers on DPS classes. They want to be 1st place, so they find a mob somewhere and they use their strongest attacks that combine for six-digit numbers among a mob to gain a few million damage. I didn't see that here...

Opinion about the run: The run was pretty good, but there is no reason why I should be in the top three as a support type. To be in the top three means that there was not enough DPS. I also understand that I am responsible for giving others higher damage numbers from maintaining buffs and keeping their health up (giving them opening)

Opinion about self: Affixing my units is on my priority list, as well as making sure that I get a full set of Ideal Daggers.

Notes: Challenge Armor + Ideal daggers = 15% Resistance vs everything, however on the Ideal Daggers, two of my affixes are Blow Resist III and All Resist III for 18% resistance vs all, 23% Strike Resistance. This helps me a lot when the DPS players lose their aggro to the boss monsters and the bosses come whole-heartedly after me. Even all my invincibility frames won't stop me from taking hits, as supporting the MPA is what i try to do.

Better Picture? Better Run? Same Area? Sure.... ^_^

This run started where most players were moving fast and I started at 11th place. As battles became more centralized to location and formations were more in the way of circles instead of lines, I gained a lot of ground. Like the previous run, I maintained buffs and healed players as well...... also ran zanverse + megiverse.

The best thing I saw here was the Nafoie that hit its mark without killing its mark. The target took the full damage, hence not being an overkill.

So what makes this a better run as I did a lot less damage?

The answer is that the DPS were on this map and they were doing what they were supposed to do... DPS. As a front-line support, my area is in keeping buffs active, and keeping mobs at bay so that pure DPS can use their PP to focus on destroying the bosses and that is exactly what happened in this run. My damage came mostly from mobbing and some boss damage as well.....

In effect, for my class-role, build-role, and playstyle I was more fluid in this run, while I felt the pure-DPS was missing on the previous run. My only pet peeve to this run was that what I mentioned before about Overkills actually happened in this run. A lot of mobs were being hit for upper end five digit numbers.

Lets say an enemy mob has five copies of the same enemy, and each enemy has 40K health. An Area attack now hits all five enemies, each for 90K, the mob is dead, but there is 250K damage that is void-damage (damage that went nowhere, due from overkill). Of course such is going to be the nature of DPS, the higher the damage output of a player, the tougher it is to maintain the efficiency of that damage.

I really like the EQ and LQ for white day....
    To me, they are much better than Valentines Day EQs.

Notice I posted about analysis, and not once did I act like some hot-shit on wheels because of the numbers. I love Damage Parsers for analytical purposes in games, but i start hating them when people start acting like they are hot shit based on how high a number is...

....just an example of analysis from me.
    PSO-2 Info: Ship: 2; ID: セツナヤキ; MCN: ケイリン
    "If you want a bridge between past, present, and future, search for the void and awaken it!"

Quote Originally Posted by TaigaUC View Post
    Some JP friends expressed worry about being able to see each person's effectiveness.
    Which seems to be a legitimate concern considering how japanese elitism works.

Effectiveness?
    A lot of Void-Damage exists you know....

I wonder how much damage listed is actually effective damage against enemies. I will even go to say that I believe around 1 - 5% of my outgoing damage is Void-Damage. A rate that low is actually very good. However, there are players out there who's void-damage is anywhere from 10 - 15% and when they want to reach #1 in a damage parser will simply just pick on mobs to unleash their best attack so they can get a few million pretty quickly...
    "If you want a bridge between past, present, and future, search for the void and awaken it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Keilyn View Post
    I wonder how much damage listed is actually effective damage against enemies. I will even go to say that I believe around 1 - 5% of my outgoing damage is Void-Damage. A rate that low is actually very good. However, there are players out there who's void-damage is anywhere from 10 - 15% and when they want to reach #1 in a damage parser will simply just pick on mobs to unleash their best attack so they can get a few million pretty quickly...
    I'm not an expert, but I'd imagine that overkill damage is pretty evenly distributed among players in any relevant content, where things aren't often actually getting oneshot. Compared to boss damage inflation (zerging Vibrace in TD, etc), it's probably not all that significant.

I mean, I guess someone could run around with 4000 atk and only touch things when they were just about to die. But players who are willing to put that kind of effort in are usually parsing first anyway. :')

Quote Originally Posted by Rayden View Post
    I have a request. Could you get rid of the transparent background? OverParse actually has a setting for window opacity, but even when it's set to "Opaque", the main area still has a transparent background. It makes it a hassle when I want to share nice screenshots of damage with team members, since I have to pay attention to what's showing through the window.
    This has been asked before, and it may change in the future (still musing), but for now it's staying, since I don't want to negatively affect the aesthetics of the window for a niche and avoidable edge case. You can copy from session logs or use log-to-clipboard if it's a major issue for you.
    Last edited by TyroneSama; Mar 11, 2016 at 12:40 PM.
    Apple (Ship02) - HuFi Sword - "take damage for better uptime"
    WaifuDfnseForce Founder | OverParse developer | maker of stuff

One can't stop a player from "parsing" first, and playing second. Though I wish people knew the difference between the kind of elitism seen in games and truly being an elite in the world.

Of course that is a topic for another thread.

You are doing good on programming and don't try to program away the following elements as they do take too much work. However, they are good for arguing against any damage parser...

1) Void-Damage = Damage that goes nowhere from overkills. Some builds it will be high, others it will be low.
    2) Buffs = Normally a player has a limit. Buffs allow one to break their limits. Would all the damage that is gained from breaking this limit in the calculation of "Buffed Damage - Unbuffed Damage" gained from Shifta truly be the buffer's damage since without that player's existence, the Shifta Buff would not exist? What about on people who reapply the buff? This is an issue to simply not think about as it happens in every game
    3) Weak Bullet = Would the extra damage from weak bullet belong to the player who uses weak bullet since without that player that extra damage would not exist? Another element to not really think about, but its good to make note of it.

The reason I make mention to this, is because in programming (as you know) there are specifics. I spent years in both, Classical Oriented Module-Based Programming, and Object Oriented Programming. A program in the end is a program bound by its limits..

I like Overparse and you have done a good job on it.

I mean not to insult or attack you in any way. More like "thank you." I only think this way because while I am an Artist and A Scientist, I am also an Educator and a Mathematician to a certain extent.

No program is perfect, but it need not be perfect.
    In the case of OverParse, I see it as a program to analyze your own performance and see where one can improve upon.

Without understanding dependent and independent variables, it becomes hard to improve at anything. ^_^ Many people can read numbers, few can understand what they actually mean. Once again, I am not targeting you....you have done no fault.

Quote Originally Posted by TyroneSama View Post
    This has been asked before, and it may change in the future (still musing), but for now it's staying, since I don't want to negatively affect the aesthetics of the window for a niche and avoidable edge case. You can copy from session logs or use log-to-clipboard if it's a major issue for you.
    Aesthetics is subjective though. You may think it looks better like that, but I don't. Can't you just make it a separate toggle option somehow? Simply "Transparent BG" in the menu or something.

New release, you know the drill. Fixes a minor display bug and adds a screenshot-friendly mode.

Video (warning, sound)

Quote Originally Posted by Keilyn View Post
    snip
    Oh, don't misunderstand, I wasn't trying to get defensive or anything. It's important to be mindful of the limitations of the parser, and conversations like these tend to make tools more useful, not less.

As an analyst, though, I honestly think that the concerns about overkill damage are overblown. The worst it really does is widen the gap between players who are heavily underperforming (low uptime) and those who are tryharding, because players who are aggressively pursuing enemies are more likely to rack up overkill damage.

In cases where players are performing similarly, overkill damage averages out, with the exception of obvious edge cases (Vibrace with 100K HP left dies to 9M Banish, etc). Boss inflation or secondary priorities are way more likely to shake up the rankings among the highest-parsing players.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayden View Post
    Aesthetics is subjective though. You may think it looks better like that, but I don't. Can't you just make it a separate toggle option somehow? Simply "Transparent BG" in the menu or something.
    I'm always wary of cluttering the program with extra menu options (this is as much a concern for usability as it is a compromise for my own neuroses), which is why I said "I'm thinking about it" instead of "yes." If it seemed like a weird response, it's because it was, but I try not to brush off feedback. Anyway, enjoy your new build. :')
    Apple (Ship02) - HuFi Sword - "take damage for better uptime"
    WaifuDfnseForce Founder | OverParse developer | maker of stuff

Quote Originally Posted by TyroneSama View Post
    New release, you know the drill. Fixes a minor display bug and adds a screenshot-friendly mode.

Anyway, enjoy your new build. :')
    Yay! Thank you so much.

How about a global keyboard command for hiding the tracker. Like Previous Value < - > 100% transparency command.