Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Oh, there's still a world in which dedicated game developers can keep making the games we all grew up playing... they're just going to have to deal with the fact that they're either going to have to go all-in and take on huge amounts of risk - which only a few publishers can still do these days - or accept that they're going to cater to a smaller portion of the marketplace. So, sure: Capcom or Nintendo or whoever can pour tens of millions of dollars into a single game and take as many creative design risks as they want, but when you're spending that much money it's not hard to see why they may want to stick with tried and true designs and brands.

I'm not a fan of this line of thinking, but it is what it is.

The mobile business is far from a sure thing, but I also can't blame a company like Sega who has struggled in recent years from trying to make a go of it. They have expectations they have to meet and it is becoming increasingly more difficult to succeed in the non-casual marketplace UNLESS you're okay with a smaller business. Corporations are all about growth, so that's not really an easy pill to swallow for a lot of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Akaimizu View Post
    It does. Right now, the issue is that the Triple A market can't really sustain itself well, and it knows it. The hardware, as companies like Nintendo warned, is advancing faster than companies can afford to utilize expensive engines, and the hollywood-level presentation workforce, to drive them. Technically, consoles like the Wii U have hardware which is more in line with what those companies can really afford to make while appeasing shareholder stock, as opposed to what they could make by spending more dollars than they can afford to manage shareholder stock.

It's this level of complication which is actually above the heads of the average gamer. And those trying to balance a clear profitability of the industry without stretching themselves too far, are actually getting gamers ANGRY at them for not falling in line. (We want our ultra realistic-looking games, and if we aren't seeing a major step up we're not interested. Even if the gameplay is stale or horrible, we want them spending all that extra money.) And when their *better* industry tanks, because of their *infinite knowledge*, I'm going to be around for the ultra "Told ya so", after all that time of them telling folks like me, I don't know what I'm talking about. Even though the obvious evidence is mounting.

Basically, the gimmicks sold by the likes of EA, or Ubisoft, have controlled the market kind of hook, line, and sinker. Thus the growth of the controlling casual market seduced by graphics and very little importance on gameplay depth to reward them with more graphics. Thus a more-involved game could be treated the same, to them, as a simplistic arcade game. They want less up-front costs, but like the short-sighted shareholders, don't really care if the title actually costs them way more in the long run. They figure if less is coming out of me, at once, I'm saving money. This works as long as they really don't play games. Those who are core gamers tricked into this method are actually spending money out the butt. More than they have before, for less content, or (as many have committed to) content that is consumable and gone forever once you used it. Thus, they can pay hundreds of dollars on a game they will never ever be able to come back to. Sometimes with a total life of less than 2 years.

This is what many of us, who actually observed this practice, have been saying for years. Though, often to deaf ears. It does some, in recent days, more and more people are starting to figure out what is happening and why it sucks. However, some still don't see why certain companies, selling games more towards the old methods, are still giving them good value. They are turning their nose up at it, and avoiding it, to even find out that it is better than the *new way* they've been suckered into.

And all of this, is why certain parts of the Indie market has kind of grown. They're clearly working within better cost limitations while being able to afford to put in some real worthy and eye-opening gameplay in there. (Of course, they're being attacked a bit by some open markets like Steam, being saturated by terrible cash grab "developers" flooding their market which more and more tarnishes the Indie space). The same stuff which killed the old video game market, which prompted the idea of why you needed curation (which spawned it for the original NES) in order to redeem it.

Even worse, the one thing I keep saying about the Mobile Market. You can't take it with you. Unlike consoles, the mobile OS upgrades and pretty much nearly every piece of current software running on them, eventually can't run anymore. Mobile Upgrades don't give a hoot about the software it is running on. They expect every developer, for every upgrade, to retool their software so that it still runs. Developers aren't going to support their finished software like that, and many don't feel they can afford to or feel it is worth the effort. It's much harder to hold onto a title you already bought on mobile. There's a lack of legacy potential. It does justify the cheaper costs on mobile, to a degree, but many gamers compare that cost to the cost on a non-mobile hardware, thinking it is the same. It isn't. On a console or dedicated game machine, that same piece of software, as long as you have it to install, or stored on a memory card, or transferred to a drive or PC, unless Online-only, will be playable 20 years from now. On mobile, if you're doing the typical upgrade path, you pray that you'd be able to come back to it 2, 3, or 4 years from now. All of this, I experienced myself, and you wonder why people can be wary about buying anything on mobile. For me, it's kind of killed my interest not only on buying much on mobile, but especially paying any IAP.

I don't know. Maybe it takes an old gamer, who witnessed this industry first hand, from the beginning, to see this. But alas. Young whippersnappers always know MORE than you do. That's always their mantra.
    so stupid question when you meantioned share holders. Who are they? The consumer or someone else?

Quote Originally Posted by Outrider View Post
    Oh, there's still a world in which dedicated game developers can keep making the games we all grew up playing... they're just going to have to deal with the fact that they're either going to have to go all-in and take on huge amounts of risk - which only a few publishers can still do these days - or accept that they're going to cater to a smaller portion of the marketplace. So, sure: Capcom or Nintendo or whoever can pour tens of millions of dollars into a single game and take as many creative design risks as they want, but when you're spending that much money it's not hard to see why they may want to stick with tried and true designs and brands.

I'm not a fan of this line of thinking, but it is what it is.

The mobile business is far from a sure thing, but I also can't blame a company like Sega who has struggled in recent years from trying to make a go of it. They have expectations they have to meet and it is becoming increasingly more difficult to succeed in the non-casual marketplace UNLESS you're okay with a smaller business. Corporations are all about growth, so that's not really an easy pill to swallow for a lot of them.
    I guess that's the problem then, the risk/reward issue.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Planning to replay PSP2 and prove to myself that the chaining mechanic do not slow down the pace of the combat. =/
    Planning to replay PSU (ep1 and 2) for story and gameplay, PSZ and PSP2 offline mode Only Also I'm keeping my FC for psz up though the Network Mode is closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Noblewine View Post
    so stupid question when you meantioned share holders. Who are they? The consumer or someone else?

I guess that's the problem then, the risk/reward issue.
    Shareholders are people that invested, similar to or technically is stocks within a company. They have some control over decisions and what would make their shares worth more should they sell them off to others. The more a company is worth, the higher the cost of the share/stock.

Companies usually plan out how best to keep their holders with different business ideas and models, and with mobile being easily accessible by just about anyone, investors want a part of that money.

Keep in mind this is just a bare bones answer.
    Last edited by blace; Mar 4, 2016 at 11:18 PM.
    Interested in playing PSP2i without starting over? Click here to get started or look here for people converting saves.

Yeah, companies need people to fund their projects. If I remember correctly, some shareholders even get to go to board meetings and influence the decision of a project, or have a director work with their interests in mind. To get on the board though, you would need to have bought a lot of their shares.
    Last edited by yoshiblue; Mar 5, 2016 at 03:32 AM.

It's sort of logical to see videogame companies interested in trying to expand to mobile market. Shareholder whims or not, a company as a business should be expected to grow and turn bigger profit if they want to look appealing to potential investors. And mobile market is an established infrastructure with millions of potential new consumers who already have all the necessary hardware. All you have to do is, like, make game.

Quote Originally Posted by blace View Post
    Shareholders are people that invested, similar to or technically is stocks within a company. They have some control over decisions and what would make their shares worth more should they sell them off to others. The more a company is worth, the higher the cost of the share/stock.

Companies usually plan out how best to keep their holders with different business ideas and models, and with mobile being easily accessible by just about anyone, investors want a part of that money.

Keep in mind this is just a bare bones answer.
    Its fine thanks blace.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Planning to replay PSP2 and prove to myself that the chaining mechanic do not slow down the pace of the combat. =/
    Planning to replay PSU (ep1 and 2) for story and gameplay, PSZ and PSP2 offline mode Only Also I'm keeping my FC for psz up though the Network Mode is closed.

Team: Outsourced Mutiny lostinseganet's Avatar
    Lost somewhere between seganet and the grave

Talking i love that bone thugs in harmey did a remix to crossroads with EC music

Please give hype for etertal champions that game was soo good
    You need good D...!? Well so do I!
    PSO 2 + D.D.R.♪, Playable Instruments, AND karaoke! Think of the Competitive Anime Conventions!Dreamcast was art, and like art it was not appreciated until it was DEAD
    I like teh magics in my melee. Not teh melee in ma magics (^_0),
    Lostinseganet: Self proclaimed Melee FOrce!

Celestial Knight of Azure Flames zandra117's Avatar
    My soul is in Gurhal while my heart is on Ragol

I thought it was interesting that Border Break was listed in the survey

I informed them that I wasn't so interested in mobile, that I am a Phantasy Star fanatic, that I interact with Sonic's twitter, and that I identify as an attack helicopter
    "Thol-Falz, tes par rel diemed. Tes syr, weh yi ryukad te reli, rel ken rel obid." Dark Force, your shrine is finished. Your sword, who you returned to reality, is able to be wielded.

Second half of the survey suddenly going all-mobile question wtf

Spoiler!
    Last edited by wefwq; Mar 8, 2016 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wefwq View Post
    Spoiler!
    Well, some people identify themselves as bisexual undead dragon archers but are stuck in human bodies. Can't blame Sega for giving them a chance, too!
    PLACEHOLDER SIGNATURE - music included ♪

Quote Originally Posted by Maenara View Post
    I am literally not dealing with this.