Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Curiously attractive for a fish man Zorafim's Avatar

Default I'm getting frustrated with people being outraged by censorship

This Overwatch thing is what's getting to me, though it's just the latest issue on the subject. Looking at the original post and the followup, it seems like the original complaint was that a female character was performing a fairly sexy victory stance which clashed with the character's personality, and Blizzard agreed and removed that stance from the game. What people got out of this was that the character was too sexy, and Blizzard censored the sexiness.

And this is what frustrates me. Both the stance and Blizzard's response are both the minorest of deals. But the internet has exploded on this, turning it from a design decision to a war against sexuality. People are making it about things that it's not about.
    The stance wasn't removed because it's too sexy. In fact, even compared to what's already in the game, it's not all that sexy. It was removed because it was a character flaunting her sex appeal when she had no reason to. There's no problem with the character having sex appeal, but she's acting out of character when she poses like that. It's like Link stripping off his tunic and flexing his muscles after completing a dungeon; there's nothing wrong with Link appearing shirtless, but there's no reason for him to do it.
    And Blizzard removing the stance isn't a statement on Blizzards take on sexuality. Blizzard's employees had already been discussing whether that stance worked or not, and that post was one of the things that made them decide against it.

Honestly, what I'm getting out of this is that people hate that every character isn't as overtly sexual as possible. And loads of female characters are already as sexualized as possible. Loads of Blizzard characters are already sexualized as possible. We have enough sexualization already, so stop trying to come up with excuses to be outraged at less sexualization. Allow women to play as something besides a male sex fantasy for once. Hell, allow me to play as something besides a male power fantasy or male sex fantasy. There are loads of neat character concepts that we're losing out on because females are required to be as sexy as possible because men keep on complaining that they aren't sexy enough. And I'm tired of my video game news feed being filled with people shaming companies for deciding against even more sexiness. I don't care about sexiness, I get sexiness wherever I look. I just want more Zelda WiiU and Nintendo NX information!

Quote Originally Posted by Zorafim View Post
    Honestly, what I'm getting out of this is that people hate that every character isn't as overtly sexual as possible. And loads of female characters are already as sexualized as possible. Loads of Blizzard characters are already sexualized as possible. We have enough sexualization already, so stop trying to come up with excuses to be outraged at less sexualization. Allow women to play as something besides a male sex fantasy for once. Hell, allow me to play as something besides a male power fantasy or male sex fantasy. There are loads of neat character concepts that we're losing out on because females are required to be as sexy as possible because men keep on complaining that they aren't sexy enough. And I'm tired of my video game news feed being filled with people shaming companies for deciding against even more sexiness. I don't care about sexiness, I get sexiness wherever I look. I just want more Zelda WiiU and Nintendo NX information!
    That's a bit of a stretch isn't it? I don't know everything about the situation, but people seemed more angry at the fact that blizzard (seemingly) gave in to complaints so quickly because it sets a bad precedent, not because she became less sexy. If she never had the pose in the first place I don't think anyone would be demanding it or hating the character for not being "sexy enough".

It might be if not for the way they're expressing the outrage. And if that was the case, then everything would die down once Blizzard explained that not only were they stewing on that decision for a while before this complaint popped up, but that the reason they're having a Beta in the first place is to make decisions like this. They're completely justified in their decision.
    But not only are people continuing their outrage, they're making it seem like the reason for the change was because Blizzard was scared of offending people for being too sexy. Look at any response to this, and the person will say "Look at this picture, does this seem too sexy to you? There's no reason to change it!". And that is just not the issue. So either they're not doing any bit of research (reading the original post and Blizzard's reply is enough to see all the information), or they're changing the issue to suit their needs.

So either they're not doing any bit of research
    considering how often I've seen people jump on bandwagons without doing any research at all so many times I don't see why you think the majority of people wouldn't be doing that.

And as far as I can tell it IS dying down. I mean, there's always gonna be people complaining, there's always people complaining about everything, but I guarantee you this isn't going to be an issue in like a month.

Until then, I'm going to complain about people complaining until I can't complain anymore.

Fair enough. Not like I'm any better.

because men keep on complaining that [women] aren't sexy enough.
    I mostly agree with the rant, even though I hate censorship in general for any reason (as I strongly believe anyone should be able to state their opinions or preferences about anything anywhere they wish without serious repercussion). It's just getting to be a chore. However, I know complete silence will give the Social Justice Totalitarian crowd exactly what they want, so it shouldn't ever be let go so easily.

That being said, where exactly does the above quoted statement actually happen? I've never seen this.
    Last edited by BIG OLAF; Apr 4, 2016 at 07:52 PM.

Things probably wouldn't have been as bad if Blizzard made it known beforehand that they weren't sure if they wanted to keep the pose or not. But alas they didn't and things exploded.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go delete my battle.net account in protest.

Quote Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post
    Things probably wouldn't have been as bad if Blizzard made it known beforehand that they weren't sure if they wanted to keep the pose or not.
    That's not reasonable at all, especially since it's kinda expected that these kinds of games change a lot in various ways. And the whole Beta thing.

Smells like marketing to me.
    http://www.pso-world.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic25144_2.gif
    It's either real or it's a dream. There's nothing that is in between.