Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I don't mind paying for stuff - but I do mind being forced to play the lottery until I actually buy what I wanted.
    Also, 130$ for a full inventory space (which by no means will be enough in the long run) is a tiny bit too much for my tastes.
    Oserez-vous percer le mystère de la malédiction ?
    www.hinamizawa.fr

I'd give the CFW theory credit were it not for the fact that they were full steam ahead for localizing PSO2 at one point. Not much point bringing a partially translated demo to PAX as well as taking over the Facebook account and making a website if they;d decided they would never localise again after PSP2. That doesn't make any sense to me.

Also lol at the codes thing. I'm fairly confident that had zero effect at all on the marketability of the game (which was likely next to none anyway with the tiny resources at SoA's disposal at the time).

Quote Originally Posted by Raujinn View Post
    I'd give the CFW theory credit were it not for the fact that they were full steam ahead for localizing PSO2 at one point. Not much point bringing a partially translated demo to PAX as well as taking over the Facebook account and making a website if they;d decided they would never localise again after PSP2. That doesn't make any sense to me.

Also lol at the codes thing. I'm fairly confident that had zero effect at all on the marketability of the game (which was likely next to none anyway with the tiny resources at SoA's disposal at the time).
    Most likely Sega was already scaling back, so they were hoping a publisher in the US would buy the right to it, and operate their own server cost, like how Gamia and Asiasoft is doing in Taiwan and South East Asia, it's not likely for Sega to put the money for a server farm for a Western version at the time anyway, and unfortunately, no western publisher seem interested.
    Sizustar Fo/Te 75/75 - Ship-2

Screenshot dump
    url]https://www.flickr.com/photos/118177547@N08/[/url]
    Drawing and junk Twitter https://twitter.com/Sizustar - please don't send blank request-

Their plans were obviously different when they announced it and a year later, I will give you a hint, that same year Bayonetta 2 was cancelled (and later taken by Nintendo), a new budget 3D street of rage wasn't green-lighted (later we saw videos), Sega Australia (Creative Assembly Australia) were shut down after releasing Castle of Illusion Remaster, on of the best classic platformers they have released in the past decade, and the president of Sega west specifically stated they were going to focus only on the franchises that were successful, and those being: Sonic, Total War, Football Manager and Alien, they bought Relic a year later so you can ad their franchises. They didn't make an announcement, but it's obvious PSO2 west was cancelled like everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Saffran View Post
    I don't mind paying for stuff - but I do mind being forced to play the lottery until I actually buy what I wanted.
    Also, 130$ for a full inventory space (which by no means will be enough in the long run) is a tiny bit too much for my tastes.
    it's only 60$ for full inventory, also, no one is forcing you to buy anything, this game is 100% free to play. They only thing you're pay for is convenience.

I never bought a PSP.

Quote Originally Posted by Saffran View Post
    Oh god yeah. Pangya Banned the rest of the world like one week after the release of Ice Spa...
    At the time, a ton of foreigners were constantly ruining tournaments by blatantly cheating.
    Some were paying money to spam global chat with nonsense, day and night.
    And a bunch were running around the chat/shop rooms being rude and spamming rubbish in all sorts of languages.

After they got banned, they moved to the Korean server and did the same thing there.
    Korean version had to ban them too.
    I know these things because I played both versions.

When I met foreigners I always told them to remember we're playing on another country's server and to respect their people.
    But I often had trouble convincing people to behave politely.
    I always saw English speakers saying "it's a free world, I'm free to do what I want" and "everyone should speak English". Seen the same thing in PSO2 a few times.
    Then when they get banned for being total dicks, they complain Japan is racist and xenophobic.

Quote Originally Posted by matt4394 View Post
    Sega does not care. As long as we keep pumping money into their hands, they'll continue to not care. Money talks.
    That's what everyone always says. People think companies won't ban them just because they're huge spenders.
    But in reality, it doesn't matter what country you're from or how much money you are throwing at them.
    If you are being a dick and causing trouble, they WILL ban you. Seen this happen many times.

I'm honestly surprised SEGA has put up with foreigners on PSO2 for this long.
    I'm worried they may do something to offset the stigma of the ridiculously unpopular ship 2.
    You've seen the screenshots, right? Every server is yellow or red during primetime, except ship 2 which is always green.
    If I recall correctly, when we were able to check population numbers, ship2 maxed out at around 4k, while every other ship was around 6-7k.

I talked to a JP friend about this previously, and they said a lot of JP people were moving to other servers for various reasons.
    Most of them wanted to join friends on other servers, probably because their friends were avoiding ship 2 and refused to play there.
    Some of them moved because they were upset at foreigners being rude, causing trouble, constantly leaving early, ignoring room rules, etc.
    That friend also said they were considering moving, but would stick around ship 2 for a while longer.

None of the JP people I regularly interact with have moved elsewhere because of foreigners. They don't seem to really care.
    Several seem to have quit because the game is boring as nuts, though. They log in maybe once a year, if that.

When a JP company blocks foreigners, I doubt it's because they're anti-West.
    It's because their culture is different and foreigners often don't respect other people.
    Their behavior demands everyone be exactly like themselves.
    They go into other countries and demand the locals do things their way. That inevitably leads to conflict.
    Which is something some JP people understandably don't want to deal with. Easier to just block them.
    I don't think many JP people care about foreigners, as long as the foreigners behave nicely.

It's not even a matter of language. Most EN people don't listen to EN people either.
    You know what happens if anyone tries to reason with most foreigners.
    Some JP people tell them in English what they're doing wrong, or to stop doing whatever. The foreigners usually get upset and rage hard.
    "Unlike you, I'm playing for fun! It's a free world!" etc, etc.

I play quietly under JP names and have had EN players tell me to "shut up, weeaboo" for simply announcing number of weak bullets left.
    They didn't even know that I'm not Japanese. Most JP can't even tell, either.
    I also remember a Spanish guy in Challenge Quest who constantly spammed everyone with anime quotes in Spanish.
    When people tried to reason with him, he burst into a vile tantrum of abuse.
    Yeah... real civil.

I was watching a JP Mario Maker stream a few weeks ago, and they ended up talking about how foreigners behave in online games.
    They were saying Japan acts fundamentally different from the rest of the world, or something along those lines.
    I can see that.

Actually... even if SEGA were to ban all foreigners right now, I don't think people would purposely go back to ship 2.
    So maybe they won't do anything.
    Last edited by TaigaUC; May 4, 2016 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TaigaUC View Post
    I never bought a PSP.

At the time, a ton of foreigners were constantly ruining tournaments by blatantly cheating.
    Some were paying money to spam global chat with nonsense, day and night.
    And a bunch were running around the chat/shop rooms being rude and spamming rubbish in all sorts of languages.

After they got banned, they moved to the Korean server and did the same thing there.
    Korean version had to ban them too.
    I know these things because I played both versions.

When I met foreigners I always told them to remember we're playing on another country's server and to respect their people.
    But I often had trouble convincing people to behave politely.
    I always saw English speakers saying "it's a free world, I'm free to do what I want" and "everyone should speak English". Seen the same thing in PSO2 a few times.
    Then when they get banned for being total dicks, they complain Japan is racist and xenophobic.

That's what everyone always says. People think companies won't ban them just because they're huge spenders.
    But in reality, it doesn't matter what country you're from or how much money you are throwing at them.
    If you are being a dick and causing trouble, they WILL ban you. Seen this happen many times.

I'm honestly surprised SEGA has put up with foreigners on PSO2 for this long.
    I'm worried they may do something to offset the stigma of the ridiculously unpopular ship 2.
    You've seen the screenshots, right? Every server is yellow or red during primetime, except ship 2 which is always green.
    If I recall correctly, when we were able to check population numbers, ship2 maxed out at around 4k, while every other ship was around 6-7k.

I talked to a JP friend about this previously, and they said a lot of JP people were moving to other servers for various reasons.
    Most of them wanted to join friends on other servers, probably because their friends were avoiding ship 2 and refused to play there.
    Some of them moved because they were upset at foreigners being rude, causing trouble, constantly leaving early, ignoring room rules, etc.
    That friend also said they were considering moving, but would stick around ship 2 for a while longer.

None of the JP people I regularly interact with have moved elsewhere because of foreigners. They don't seem to really care.
    Several seem to have quit because the game is boring as nuts, though. They log in maybe once a year, if that.

When a JP company blocks foreigners, I doubt it's because they're anti-West.
    It's because their culture is different and foreigners often don't respect other people.
    Their behavior demands everyone be exactly like themselves.
    They go into other countries and demand the locals do things their way. That inevitably leads to conflict.
    Which is something some JP people understandably don't want to deal with. Easier to just block them.
    I don't think many JP people care about foreigners, as long as the foreigners behave nicely.

It's not even a matter of language. Most EN people don't listen to EN people either.
    You know what happens if anyone tries to reason with most foreigners.
    Some JP people tell them in English what they're doing wrong, or to stop doing whatever. The foreigners usually get upset and rage hard.
    "Unlike you, I'm playing for fun! It's a free world!" etc, etc.

I play quietly under JP names and have had EN players tell me to "shut up, weeaboo" for simply announcing number of weak bullets left.
    They didn't even know that I'm not Japanese. Most JP can't even tell, either.
    I also remember a Spanish guy in Challenge Quest who constantly spammed everyone with anime quotes in Spanish.
    When people tried to reason with him, he burst into a vile tantrum of abuse.
    Yeah... real civil.

I was watching a JP Mario Maker stream a few weeks ago, and they ended up talking about how foreigners behave in online games.
    They were saying Japan acts fundamentally different from the rest of the world, or something along those lines.
    I can see that.

Actually... even if SEGA were to ban all foreigners right now, I don't think people would purposely go back to ship 2.
    So maybe they won't do anything.
    Good reply. Western nations or at least most notably USA have this entitlement mentality that "its my right to be here"... It is not your right to be anywhere... People mistake privileges and rights. I pay for things in PSO2 like a lot of people and the only right I see is being able to contact service if I can't pay for whatever reasons (account error or what have you) beyond that I am a guest here and I am glad that SEGA has not smashed the west in for accessing the JP servers I just wish they would lighten the foreigners policy; a few d***s ruining it for those of us who actually want to be a part of the PSO JP community. Seems like most MMOs I have seen that are free are like that between the RMT, a**holes and ragent folks who think they are doing the publisher a favor by playing their game... I hope at some point there are changes to how people from outside of JP are handled but with how people act it might not be a thing... My questions were mainly because I actually want to be part of the PSO JP community but if my account breaks or I notice someone being a worthless sack of derp I can actually reach out to Sega and get a response other than "Be gone alien scum!"
    ~ RisaXSeph
    Persephone - Bu/Hu - ID: Atsumari - Ship 2
    "A name is only as important as the person it describes... so when someone asks for your name you know your important." - Hoshi Ki-Kari; Kiru-Acu: Blissful Shadows

I use to be an internet OG like you; now I just try really really hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Keilyn View Post
    snip
    Once you get down to individuals, it's entirely different. I've met Japanese people who have come to the United States, there's plenty of people who want to open up and see the rest of the world, and to get back into PSO2 for a moment, I even know JP players who I regularly (try) to chat with, broken English and Japanese sure, but we try and enjoy playing with each other whenever time zone differences and schedules permit it.

Of course, not everyone is the same, but I think things only get bad when it's a large group, because just like for Western societies, the assholes can really shine when they're loud.

Now bringing WWII into it seems like a stretch, no? Japan as a whole does like to keep to itself sure, but I really think that claim is... odd.
    Last edited by Zysets; May 4, 2016 at 07:27 PM.
    Phantasy Star Lore Whore/ARKS Layer Discord Mod
    カレン (Zysets)- PSO2JP
    Karen - Clementine

Japan-only means easier for customer support.
    Japan-only means lesser legal issues, whether it's cultural issues and whatever.
    They also have made a survey on PAX and everything to make sure PSO2 will be there, and apparently those who claim it should be in the west, seems to be only a fraction of their expectations.

And wtf how the hell is this related to WW II. Japanese themselves don't even know about what happened to others outside their country in WW II. All they know is they lose the war and it's time to move on. Ask them yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveCZ View Post
    And wtf how the hell is this related to WW II. Japanese themselves don't even know about what happened to others outside their country in WW II. All they know is they lose the war and it's time to move on. Ask them yourself.
    Many JP, who never played this game, have been butt hurt for yamato being an enemy boss and pissed on every single PSO2 discuss board. They got more keyboard patriots/imperialists than we can imagine.