Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: PSO2 vs PSO

Psychotic Asian Goth Girl [Ayumi]'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HeyItsTHK View Post
    I think one thing I missed were goofy weapon effects on rares and things like unsealing a J sword, also some terrifying enemies like dorphons and del sabers. On the otherhand, with the freer movement of combat in PSO2, those enemies wouldn't have been as scary.

and Towards The Future killed the game.
    They could always be modified.

Delsabers were modified in PSU to be a little slower and such while still being quite powerful.

Belras who used to be slow moving statue-like creatures... when I saw one run at me in PSP2/PSP2i for the 1st time I was like "THE HELL KIND OF SORCERY IS THIS?! TOO FAST! TOO FAAAAAAAAAAAST!"
    In same PSP2/PSP2i, Debilters were still scary as fuck when we have more movement than we did in PSO.

We have "centaur" creatures in PSO2 which while aren't Chaos Bringers can be very threatening with their range, speed, and movements.
    Can almost even say that Loser/Magatsu is almost like newer versions of Falz/Flow as well... except phase 2 Magatsu we don't fight on feet.

Quote Originally Posted by otakun View Post
    Actually, it doesn't matter what they call it. Just because they say it's only an Online RPG doesn't make it not an MMO. People of the online community have flip flopped around for years about what makes a game an MMO or not but by the most popular modern definition of an MMORPG PSO2 would be considered an MMORPG. The now popular term for the kind of MMORPG you are thinking of fits that term is more commonly referred to as just being an Open World MMORPG. This change accord around the time of the popularization of Guild Wars 1. Where originally GW1 was releases as an Online RPG but then later was rebranded as an MMORPG.

Actually, that is exactly what it means...
    Its the very same thing as saying that FF XIV and PSO-2 fall under the same category of games, which clearly they do not....

You are also wrong about Guild Wars 1.

When Guild Wars 1 came out, a lot of people did not know what to call it and so many defaulted to calling any Online RPG an MMORPG. However, Guild Wars launched and people were pissed about the instanced, non-persistent world. ArenaNet then claimed that they drew inspirations from many games in designing the game... One of them was a game called Phantasy Star Online. Maybe you've heard of it?

They proceeded to create their own genre, CORPG meaning Cooperative Online Role Playing Game, which was marked by blending Action Game elements with RPG elements into a game. The focus of the game would be for smaller groups of players to work together in instanced environments....sound familiar?

Guild Wars 1 also had the same Variable Gear System that PSO had where the same weapon can drop, with different stats and players would look for the weapons with the right prefix and suffix in its name.

In fact I used to Joke saying

"I am wielding a Giant Middle Finger of Fortitude" when entering PvP areas when everyone would flash their equipment....

Related to the Genre Declaration:
    From Wikipedia (which has a reference to Arenanet on the bottom)

Guild Wars is the first in a series of Guild Wars, a game that merges the Action RPG and the role-playing video game genres into one, with competition in both the player versus player (in random matches, teams, tournaments, or guild battles), and player versus environment (in missions, quests, or area exploration) forms. The developers call this blend a CORPG, short for competitive online role-playing game. Important goals of the game are both to minimize the amount of repetitive actions a player has to perform to become a respectable force in the gaming world (called grind), and also to minimize a player's dependency on game items to stay competitive. These are two goals that set the game apart from most MMORPG's, where one hardcore player will gain major advantages when competing against another more casual gamer simply from having played the game more and found better items. In Guild Wars, the advantages in battle will instead come from how well a player picks and uses the character's 8 skills (from a library of hundreds), an art that is hard to master. The game is different from most MMORPG's in that it did not have any additional recurring fees, but bases revenue on standalone game expansions, or "campaigns" (in addition to microtransactions). This structure was discontinued with Eye of the North, which was a traditional expansion pack that required one of the three standalone campaigns. ArenaNet stated that this was because they felt that this format was restricting their ability to add new game mechanics and balance the overwhelming number of skills introduced with each title, and decided to begin work on Guild Wars 2 to address these issues (with Eye of the North bridging the gap between Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2).
    PSO-2 Info: Ship: 2; ID: セツナヤキ; MCN: ケイリン
    "If you want a bridge between past, present, and future, search for the void and awaken it!"

I absolutely love the equipment system in PSO, likely my favorite part of the game was the struggle of picking between what to use

PSO is a simple but well designed game that offers shitloads of fun while you massacre things over and over

PSO2 has dress up and a lot of retarded design choices

Quote Originally Posted by Keilyn View Post
    Actually, that is exactly what it means...
    Its the very same thing as saying that FF XIV and PSO-2 fall under the same category of games, which clearly they do not....
    Actually, they do. It's called MMORPGs. =P

One is open world and the other is instance based. Not hard to wrap your mind around it.

As I recall MMO refers to a game with massive interactions with other players, like being able to trade with anyone on a server, party up on the field, leave that party and join another without returning to a lobby. Instant based games where you only ever play with 4 people at a time wouldn't be considered massive, the same way shooter online matchmaking doesn't make a game massive. That was my understanding of the term anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinnomura View Post
    As I recall MMO refers to a game with massive interactions with other players, like being able to trade with anyone on a server, party up on the field, leave that party and join another without returning to a lobby. Instant based games where you only ever play with 4 people at a time wouldn't be considered massive, the same way shooter online matchmaking doesn't make a game massive. That was my understanding of the term anyway.
    massive multiplayer only refers to a lot of people playing at one time. nothing in mmorpg says interacting with everyone in the server at anytime. if you need the differences between shooter match making and an mmorpg hub lobby explained then you need to play more online games.

Going off of that wouldn't your typical shooter qualify since "a lot of people" are playing in matches at the same time? If it has to do with them being in the same match or room of origin doesn't that start to move closer to my previous statement? I thought massive multiplayer was referencing multiplayer on a massive scale, where one match or field has way more than your typical multiplayer game.

Psychotic Asian Goth Girl [Ayumi]'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shinnomura View Post
    Going off of that wouldn't your typical shooter qualify since "a lot of people" are playing in matches at the same time? If it has to do with them being in the same match or room of origin doesn't that start to move closer to my previous statement? I thought massive multiplayer was referencing multiplayer on a massive scale, where one match or field has way more than your typical multiplayer game.
    And while I haven't played a shooter in years, I recall many of them have that "XP" which is pretty much exp you get that you unlock I guess certain classes and weapons and such from doing matches and such.
    CoD confirmed an MMORPG.

(Wait... CoD has that XP stuff in it right? I know most shooters do these days... don't know if CoD is one of them as my last CoD game was CoD 3)

Yes it does lol, and I don't really play them either as of late.
    The point I was trying to make is that before the game even comes out it is categorized as an mmo so it's a genre, not a classification of how many players are on at once. And given that it would have to mean the multiplayer side is significantly more massive meaning you get to play "levels" together with a lot more people than a typical online multiplayer game. So a game like PSO/PSO2 wouldn't be an mmo since it does the same sort of group level playing as a shooter or other common coop game.
    Sorry for being long winded lol