Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    King of the Wicker People IceBurner's Avatar

Sadly Xpadder does not simulate virtual buttons. I had Joy2Key setup to make up for SEGA's incompletely copying the 3-button control scheme from PSO1, resulting in 1 less free button than the original game (can't do anything without some glaring flaw, can they....)

In PSO1, The "shift palette" button changed all four face buttons: 3 main palette actions AND the 4th, non-customizeable face button. So you had 8 total inputs using 5 buttons:

3 user-defined actions on A, B, and X
    3 more user-defined actions on R+A, R+B, and R+X
    "Access" (push buttons, talk to someone, etc.) on Y
    "Shortcut menu" (the 1-button equivalent to PSO2's palette system) on R+Y

PSO2 does not shift the last face button, which leaves the controller short an input compared to PSO1's control scheme, while simultaneously having far more functions to assign.

What I used to do with JoyToKey was have my 4th face button (Cross) assigned to the key for Evade, while the combination of R1 + Cross was assigned to a virtual gamepad button which pushed the key for Access, so I could pick up items. This let me have the following scheme:

L1: Camera center/lock
    L2: "Open Subpalette"
    L3: Not assigned, too easy to press accidentally in the middle of combat, while it's not comfortable enough to press repeatedly on purpose.
    R1: Shift palette
    R2: Jump
    R3: TPS view
    Up/Down: Cycle Main Palette
    Left/Right: Cycle Sub Palette
    Select: Select Menu
    Start: Main Menu
    PS Button: Unassignable, c'mon SCP drivers :/
    Square: Action 1
    Triangle Action 2
    Circle: Action 3
    Cross:: Evade
    R1+ Square: Action 4
    R1+ Triangle Action 5
    R1+ Circle: Action 6
    R1+ Cross:: Access

While I could move Access to Select, it's too far a reach for my thumb to be comfortable with the amount of items you have to pick up quickly in this game. Having both it and evade, plus all the palette actions, all on the face buttons was ideal for not putting too much stress on my hands.

What I'm trying to work out is whether or not Xpadder can achieve the same result without use of a virtual button. If it can make Cross submit the "X" keypress, R1 submit "Shift Palette", but R1+Cross submit the "E" keypress, then I could actually use a controller comfortably for all classes again.

Quote Originally Posted by IceBurner View Post
    Sadly Xpadder does not simulate virtual buttons. I had Joy2Key setup to make up for SEGA's incompletely copying the 3-button control scheme from PSO1, resulting in 1 less free button than the original game (can't do anything without some glaring flaw, can they....)

In PSO1, The "shift palette" button changed all four face buttons: 3 main palette actions AND the 4th, non-customizeable face button. So you had 8 total inputs using 5 buttons:

3 user-defined actions on A, B, and X
    3 more user-defined actions on R+A, R+B, and R+X
    "Access" (push buttons, talk to someone, etc.) on Y
    "Shortcut menu" (the 1-button equivalent to PSO2's palette system) on R+Y

PSO2 does not shift the last face button, which leaves the controller short an input compared to PSO1's control scheme, while simultaneously having far more functions to assign.

What I used to do with JoyToKey was have my 4th face button (Cross) assigned to the key for Evade, while the combination of R1 + Cross was assigned to a virtual gamepad button which pushed the key for Access, so I could pick up items. This let me have the following scheme:

L1: Camera center/lock
    L2: "Open Subpalette"
    L3: Not assigned, too easy to press accidentally in the middle of combat, while it's not comfortable enough to press repeatedly on purpose.
    R1: Shift palette
    R2: Jump
    R3: TPS view
    Up/Down: Cycle Main Palette
    Left/Right: Cycle Sub Palette
    Select: Select Menu
    Start: Main Menu
    PS Button: Unassignable, c'mon SCP drivers :/
    Square: Action 1
    Triangle Action 2
    Circle: Action 3
    Cross:: Evade
    R1+ Square: Action 4
    R1+ Triangle Action 5
    R1+ Circle: Action 6
    R1+ Cross:: Access

While I could move Access to Select, it's too far a reach for my thumb to be comfortable with the amount of items you have to pick up quickly in this game. Having both it and evade, plus all the palette actions, all on the face buttons was ideal for not putting too much stress on my hands.

What I'm trying to work out is whether or not Xpadder can achieve the same result without use of a virtual button. If it can make Cross submit the "X" keypress, R1 submit "Shift Palette", but R1+Cross submit the "E" keypress, then I could actually use a controller comfortably for all classes again.
    Are you not using the set selector options in "Advanced" when you're setting up the input? Because it sounds like that's what you want.

I haven't purchased Xpadder yet, as I didn't want to buy it without knowing it could handle this. Between their forum and demo video, I couldn't tell, so I emailed the author this morning, but have not yet heard back. Since there's no demo/shareware/free version, I have no other way to find out but asking.

Edit: Also thank you for the suggestion that it can potentially handle this.
    Last edited by IceBurner; Feb 17, 2017 at 03:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IceBurner View Post
    Since there's no demo/shareware/free version, I have no other way to find out but asking.
    There's an old freeware version floating around, which is what I'm using.

Quote Originally Posted by Kondibon View Post
    There's an old freeware version floating around, which is what I'm using.
    Hurrah! Found it, tried it, worked! Current version subsequently purchased.

I swapped from joytokey to xpadder but I can't figure out if xpadder can replicate one of joytokey's old functions. I had Access/Pick up set up to rapid-fire after holding it down for it 0.1 seconds for Lilipa TA switches. Is there any option to do something similar in xpadder? I'm using the freeware version of xpadder btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Strayed View Post
    I swapped from joytokey to xpadder but I can't figure out if xpadder can replicate one of joytokey's old functions. I had Access/Pick up set up to rapid-fire after holding it down for it 0.1 seconds for Lilipa TA switches. Is there any option to do something similar in xpadder? I'm using the freeware version of xpadder btw.
    Just make this button a turbo one, it should work as good.

not sure if everyone has moved to antimicro/xpadder, but if anyone still cares, my friend has been talking to the jtk dev. the dev is working on a solution and has uploaded the latest working copy for anyone interested: http://joytokey.net/download/JoyToKey_en_5_2_1.zip

Quote Originally Posted by emanresuj View Post
    not sure if everyone has moved to antimicro/xpadder, but if anyone still cares, my friend has been talking to the jtk dev. the dev is working on a solution and has uploaded the latest working copy for anyone interested: http://joytokey.net/download/JoyToKey_en_5_2_1.zip
    doesn't detect triggers at all for me on my wireless x360 gamepad
    P S O W
    (´_ゝ`) current chars: ジョゼフィン / ジョゼフ / リノ | playerid: ponponparapara
    died to SEGAC corporate robots on 05/01/2016, never forget

Quote Originally Posted by jooozek View Post
    doesn't detect triggers at all for me on my wireless x360 gamepad
    It's not a new build, it's the oldest one that works, so it makes sense that it would be missing functionality.