Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Zulastar View Post
    Happend in this Atrum rematch again. I was a little lower near forehead after breaking 2 legs. PAs and common hit it well, but TMG finisher just disappeared.

It's pretty common when charged sword action and DBs kamehameha flying to nowhere too. Or Sword finisher hit only once or twice.
    idk what to tell you then. only way to know for sure what's happening is record yourself playing or use parse to see if the dmg is still happening. all i can say is ping just represents how long it takes for the server to register that you hit something and have the number show up on your screen. it doesn't just make dmg magically disappear
    Last edited by milranduil; Mar 25, 2018 at 02:04 PM.

One of the benefits of all of the client-side processing that PSO2 does is that it helps mitigate lag. Your character movements, attacks, and pp-amount are processed client-side. There is almost never any rubber-banding. Some smaller enemies are processed client side. Where you hit an enemy and if they hit you is processed (mostly?) client-side, but the server decides how much damage was done.

That being said, I have a pretty good broadband internet connection, but I live in the midwest, many hops from Japan. Here are some effects that I have attributed to lag:
    • In loot piles, like from a boss crystal, I can pick up 3-4 pieces of loot a second. I compare that to JP and California players who can vacuum up all of the loot nearly instantly, from what I can see on their videos and streams.
    • On occasion, there are lag spikes where no damage happens, then a bunch of damage happens at once when the spike clears up.
    • I am pretty sure lag effects how fast maps load up. I recently replaced a seven-year-old computer with an new one with an SSD, and I didn't notice much improvement in how fast maps load up.
      [8]When I am running around collecting crystals on TD and BQs, I notice that if I am running toward the same crystal as another player, the game will not credit me with picking up the crystal unless I beat the other player to it by more than a half-second.
    • When running through the lobby area, the frame rate can really stutter, probably due to loading other player's graphics. This effect is just about as bad on my new computer as it was on my old computer, so it is probably due to lag rather than my system performance.

Even with these effects, I still feel that I can play PSO2 reasonably well, probably thanks to all of the client-side processing.

Quote Originally Posted by milranduil View Post
    idk what to tell you then. only way to know for sure what's happening is record yourself playing or use parse to see if the dmg is still happening. all i can say is ping just represents how long it takes for the server to register that you hit something and have the number show up on your screen. it doesn't just make dmg magically disappear
    It is possible that damage can be lost if there is is packet loss. But I don't think that shouldn't happen unless the network connection is really bad.
    Last edited by Loveless62; Mar 25, 2018 at 02:24 PM.
    "Well, the important thing is, you were mad online about a fictional universe." - Mangini In A Bottle - io9

Quote Originally Posted by Loveless62 View Post
    That being said, I have a pretty good broadband internet connection, but I live in the midwest, many hops from Japan. Here are some effects that I have attributed to lag:
    • In loot piles, like from a boss crystal, I can pick up 3-4 pieces of loot a second. I compare that to JP and California players who can vacuum up all of the loot nearly instantly, from what I can see on their videos and streams.
    • On occasion, there are lag spikes where no damage happens, then a bunch of damage happens at once when the spike clears up.
    • I am pretty sure lag effects how fast maps load up. I recently replaced a seven-year-old computer with an new one with an SSD, and I didn't notice much improvement in how fast maps load up.
      [8]When I am running around collecting crystals on TD and BQs, I notice that if I am running toward the same crystal as another player, the game will not credit me with picking up the crystal unless I beat the other player to it by more than a half-second.
    • When running through the lobby area, the frame rate can really stutter, probably due to loading other player's graphics. This effect is just about as bad on my new computer as it was on my old computer, so it is probably due to lag rather than my system performance.

Even with these effects, I still feel that I can play PSO2 reasonably well, probably thanks to all of the client-side processing.

It is possible that damage can be lost if there is is packet loss. But I don't think that shouldn't happen unless the network connection is really bad.
    looting - yes ping affects

lag spikes - can occur for any number of reasons. most often though, they've occurred at the same time that jp's have experienced them when i'm in voice chat, so i'd say more often than not it's the server. it is possible if you have a poor connection they occur more often though.

map loads - ping affects this only a tiny bit. there are some EU players that load maps faster than i do simply because they have a godlike CPU and i usually load maps pretty fast with ~140 ping. CPU is definitely the most important for this, ping not so much.

crystals - this is partially true but for 2 different reasons. assuming you and a jp click a crystal at the same time, the jp gets it because of ping yes. however, character models in-game are notoriously bad at updating to where their character actually is which is more poor service side updating than actual ping itself.

lobby frame rate - how can that possibly be connected to ping? that makes no sense at all. sega has been notorious for poor coding requiring excessive PC strength (cpu/gpu) to maintain high stable fps especially on tier6 for years both in psu and pso2.

damage - even small amounts of packet loss in pso2 make the game nearly unplayable, so unless you're hardcore lagging where nothing is changing on screen (boss not moving, no attacks occurring) it's safe to say the damage is still going through.

map loads - ping affects this only a tiny bit. there are some EU players that load maps faster than i do simply because they have a godlike CPU and i usually load maps pretty fast with ~140 ping. CPU is definitely the most important for this, ping not so much.
    I figure that I/O performance and memory performance would matter more for map loading than straight CPU performance. As for the network, the map information is going to contain tile information (tile A1 is this, A2 is this, etc...), and what monsters, e-trials, etc. can spawn on the map. Now, I can't imagine that the volume of data from the server is that big, but the client needs all of that information before it can start loading data from its data files. Ping would effect how long it would take for that data to arrive.

The evidence you present from your EU buddies is a good point though.

lobby frame rate - how can that possibly be connected to ping? that makes no sense at all. sega has been notorious for poor coding requiring excessive PC strength (cpu/gpu) to maintain high stable fps especially on tier6 for years both in psu and pso2.
    Well the client definitely needs information from the server (or from other clients) to load the models of other characters. PSO2 has a very elaborate character customization system, so all of that information (all of those slider values, all of the accessories, etc.) needs to be transferred to the client. Then multiply that by 50+ for all of the people standing in the lobby.

Now, you would figure that this would be handled asynchronously so as to not to affect the frame rate, but who knows? I certainly know less about Sega's code than the average PSOW forum user *THINKS* they know about Sega's code LUL.

It is also possible that the number of accessories in PSO2 has gotten so bloated as to make retrieving their graphic information from the data files inefficient.
    Last edited by Loveless62; Mar 25, 2018 at 06:03 PM.
    "Well, the important thing is, you were mad online about a fictional universe." - Mangini In A Bottle - io9

again, none of those are ping related. i've seen jp's fall victim to everything you just mentioned both in streams and videos.
    1) uncharged megiverse has had a weird bug where it randomly just does not work for a long, long time
    2) that either means you aren't really charging it fully, or you're leaving the AoE range too quickly, or you're weapon switching before the tech completes.
    3) dragon is notorious for multihitting, odd longlasting hitboxes, and hitboxes AoE that defies logic all that fuck over just guards and hero counters alike.
    1) Well that's new to me because megiverse wasn't something I used until Hr and never noticed this until dragon eq :/ A very annoying bug then because it almost always happen right when I fall short of pp after casting it :v
    2) I thought about those thing but nope it even happen when standing still or walking! So I don't know if it's ping related or whatever, all I see is it do happen.
    3) Camera handling and soft lock defies logic too, mine at least
    For me this very eq is a summary of all possible exploits of the engine flaws and then be called challenging content
    Last edited by Masu; Mar 26, 2018 at 07:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Masu View Post
    For me this very eq is a summary of all possible exploits of the engine flaws and then be called challenging content
    It's a worst thing when you fight not with enemies but with bugs, lags, camera glitches, constantly leaping back and forth soft lock, bad character control feedback and other same things, not ot related to the direct gameplay process but affecting to it.

About megiverse I'm always use uncharged sword action immediately after casting it.

well got my 2 invade caliburs and got a good time so im satisfied now (also all 10 classes clear)

Spoiler!

edit: guess ill toss this in too since its the xq thread

Spoiler!
    Last edited by Flaoc; Mar 26, 2018 at 02:32 PM.

Nah this shit is unplayable for me while I'm have a damage almost twice lower then on these videos and lags when my dodges don't count or don't even activate while I'm mashing it's button like hell. Got 2 DCs from 12 ppl dragon due to lag and died once on rematch, then got a DC again with this:
    Spoiler!

UPD: even Vapor bullet i-frames don't work... sigh.
    Last edited by Zulastar; Mar 26, 2018 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulastar View Post
    Nah this shit is unplayable for me while I'm have a damage almost twice lower then on these videos and lags when my dodges don't count or don't even activate while I'm mashing it's button like hell. Got 2 DCs from 12 ppl dragon due to lag and died once on rematch, then got a DC again with this:
    Spoiler!

UPD: even Vapor bullet i-frames don't work... sigh.
    Sounds like your ISP isn't doing a great job at providing you a stable connection. I only encounter that screen when my ISP fucks something up. Well It also appeared back when I was using telepipe Proxy thinking I actually need it.

It's too fucking easy, cleared it on my 2nd try as a hero and just about everyone plays hero. So "expert" huh?