Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast

Speaking as someone who just now unlocked expert match, I thought I'd share some of the things I learned in the process that helped me to finally break through and do it.

First, for the Solo XQ. My biggest obstacles here were Deus Hunas and Phaleg. I skipped out on most of Episode 4, so before I started doing the solo XQ, I had never actually fought Phaleg before, and had rarely fought Deus Hunas, so I didn't know the fights at all. My observations from the process of learning to clear it:
    1). If you have the ability to record your own runs, do it. And then watch them. You will see mistakes you are making on the video that you don't see while you are playing, because while you are playing you are focusing on trying to survive and trying to deal damage. On the video, you can see why you got hit and how you could have avoided it, and where it cost you opportunities to deal damage. Believe me, it helps.
    2). A lot (but not all) of Deus Hunas' attacks can be avoided by staying up at his head height. This is easiest to do with Dual Blades, but I don't recommend using Dual Blades for the Solo XQ because they're really difficult to fight Phaleg with. It can also be done with Twin Daggers, Katana (Phantom), and I'd presume Jet Boots, but I haven't tried it. I ultimately went with Phantom, because it gave me two weapons I was confident I could fight Phaleg with effectively.
    3). While I was learning this, I believed that I would need to clear all the stage orders in order to make the time threshold. This caused me to waste a lot of runs by abandoning quest after failing Deus Hunas' stage order. Don't do that. You're costing yourself valuable practice against the later stages. Also, it's simply not true - on the run where I finally got under 15 minutes (14:0 I didn't clear either Deus Hunas' or Phaleg's stage orders. If your damage dealing is strong enough, the resistances won't really slow you down that much.
    4). On the Aratron and Wolgahda's stage - yes, you can wait for Aratron to shock them, but it's really much more reliable if you bring your own shock. I had a couple of runs scrubbed because Aratron just couldn't seem to shock the Wolgahdas in a reasonable amount of time (usually he'll get them pretty quickly, but sometimes you just get unlucky). What I did: engaged them with Gizonde until shock was inflicted on at least two of them and then switched to katana for the killing.
    5). It really does help to have two weapons that you're very comfortable with for Phaleg. In my case, I used katana until form change, then switched to Rod. I chose to use katana first because I found that keeping her at a distance (with rod) after form change helped me to anticipate her moves better (and thus stay alive).
    6). On the Chrome Dragon stage, especially if you didn't clear Phaleg's stage order, forget breaking parts. Just go for the head and stay on it. You do more damage there, and with the way these bosses move around, sometimes getting the lock-on to target the thing you want is tricky. I chose to go Chrome -> Angel -> Apprentice, but YMMV. You should clear the whole stage before the stage order expires if you are killing fast enough. I did this with katana, using shifted PA's and Quick Cut.
    7). Once you get to Omega Hunar, the biggest thing to remember is to get away from him when he's about to slam the ground (because that will kill you really fast if you get caught by it) and to watch out for the sword charges. He's got a lot of HP, so you need to be aggressive, but don't be stupidly aggressive. As a Phantom, I saved both of my Phantom Time charges for Omega Hunar to hammer him with marker detonations.
    . Throughout the entire quest, if you want to clear in time, you need to be aggressive. If you try to play cautiously, you'll run yourself out of time. That doesn't mean being reckless, but make the most out of all your opportunities.

On Destroyers of Light:
    1). My first big challenge on this quest was PP management on Mother. Mother isn't a very difficult fight, but it is a very mobile fight, and it's easy to burn all your PP chasing around the stage after targets. The Lightstream potential helps here, but mostly you need to think about yoiur DPP in addition to your DPS. As a Phantom, I found the most important part of this was making heavy use of Quick Cut, as shifted PA's with Quick Cut have much better DPP than regular PA's while still having reasonably good DPS.
    2). Don't chase around more than you have to. When fighting the hands, don't chase all the way across the stage at the target that happens to be in front of you if there's one close by off to one side. Travel PA's chew up PP. As a Phantom, I relied on shifted Schmetterling -> Quick Cut to get around, but this is only PP-efficient if you're close enough for Quick Cut to actually hit the target.
    3). The biggest thing that was hurting my time on the Deus Esca part of this quest was missing damage windows due to getting hit, and the biggest place that happened was after chasing the orb across the stage - if I chased it all the way to the end, I found I would invariably get hit when he brought his hand back with the lightning wave. The answer to this for me was to stop chasing about 3/4 of the way across the stage and start backing away to give myself time to react. As a Phantom, this also allowed me to set myself up to dodge through the lightning on the way to hit the orb and pick up a free Dodge Counter Shot.
    4). Building on point 3: ultimately, the key to finishing this quest in time is to make every damage window count. You never want to get hit, but there are certain times that avoiding damage is especially important. Getting hit right before a damage window costs you time-on-target, so it directly impacts your clear time. Ultimately, the bulk of my improvement on this quest came from analyzing where I was losing damage opportunities and changing my approach to make sure I didn't lose them.

In the end, it really boils down to knowing the fights. Most of the trouble I had with these quests was due to lack of experience with Deus Hunas, Phaleg, and Deus Esca. The only answer to that is practice, but see the observation about recording your own runs - it helps you to find and fix your mistakes faster.
    Ship 2:
    Katarin: GUmarl. Lethal precision with a whimsical streak
    "Save the day and look good doing it. That's what this job is all about!"

Alessandra: FInewearl. A hyperkinetic, photon-fueled mayhem machine.
    "Oho! I actually felt that! You must be pretty strong!."

Quote Originally Posted by reaper527 View Post
    the thing is, there's more than 1 way to skin a cat. you are correct that she absolutely CAN clear the solo xq with her current gear with more skill . it's good enough to get the job done (asterisk to this statement since we haven't seen her skill tree and it likely needs a rework).

more skill however isn't the only way to clear the xq, and is the solution that will require the most work and dedication. improving other aspects can lower the amount of skill required. relatively inexpensive gear fixes will make the quest easier. (and she has a full set of lightstream units, so this is an investment that she'll be able to use for a long time to come. it's no like she has dead-end units like bodes). additionally, with all the skill shortcomings she has, she's still getting extremely close to clearing the stage. better gear can absolutely bridge where she is up to where she needs to be. fixing her gear is going to give her a MAJOR damage boost, and that should be enough to get the job done or at the very least, greatly reduce how much better she needs to get..
    There's nothing wrong with investing in the units, and she very much needs to change her skill tree, I just don't think changing her control scheme is going to have as much of an impact as you seem to think it will. If this was a case of like micro optimization like knowing exact rotations or something then yeah, doing something else might be a better idea, but she has a bunch of very clear ways to improve her actual gameplay, and I personally think playing better should come before improving your gear. Especially since the gear she has, even with shitty affixes, far outpaces what's actually required.

Quote Originally Posted by Kondibon View Post
    There's nothing wrong with investing in the units, and she very much needs to change her skill tree, I just don't think changing her control scheme is going to have as much of an impact as you seem to think it will. If this was a case of like micro optimization like knowing exact rotations or something then yeah, doing something else might be a better idea, but she has a bunch of very clear ways to improve her actual gameplay, and I personally think playing better should come before improving your gear. Especially since the gear she has, even with shitty affixes, far outpaces what's actually required.
    the thing is,she's eager to clear the xq as soon as possible. the fastest path to that is going to be addressing the gear and tree. we're all in agreement that there are skill issues here, but don't forget that she's reaching the phase change and surviving pretty far past that. she just needs a bump. i wouldn't be surprised if she clears it first try with a better tree and those recommended gear changes.

yes, you're right. her current stuff vastly outpaces what is necessary (hell, when i helped my sister beat it last weekend she had 4-5s astra units from when mother was new. read as: no reveries, no arks fever, no ares the soul). the thing is, she could beat this tomorrow by improving her affixing, or she can spend weeks/months of frustration trying to get better and clear it with her current gear. my suggestion absolutely isn't the only way for her to clear the stage, but it's a pretty safe statement to say that it's going to be the easiest path.

think of it like a difficulty selector in a game. her current setup is like playing on hard, and improving her affixing is like playing on normal. playing on keyboard/mouse may make her life easier due to the efficiencies it brings to the table (which is why i said to try it) or it may not. the affixing however objectively will make things easier. the question isn't "does she need better affixes", it's "will better affixes help", and the answer to that is unquestionably yes.

I'm sure there's plenty of options, I was just pointing out that you can get KB/M functionality on a gamepad if you want to, because ultimately that's the main thing giving KB/M and advantage in PSO2, since WASD movement is honestly trash, and PSO2 isn't a game where mouse aiming is as universally important. I don't think I can go back to the normal controls.
    Yep, This is exactly the reason I use a gamepad - I can't make myself use WASD movement in a game where I have an analog option. It just feels wrong.
    Ship 2:
    Katarin: GUmarl. Lethal precision with a whimsical streak
    "Save the day and look good doing it. That's what this job is all about!"

Alessandra: FInewearl. A hyperkinetic, photon-fueled mayhem machine.
    "Oho! I actually felt that! You must be pretty strong!."

the thing is,she's eager to clear the xq as soon as possible. the fastest path to that is going to be addressing the gear and tree. we're all in agreement that there are skill issues here, but don't forget that she's reaching the phase change and surviving pretty far past that. she just needs a bump. i wouldn't be surprised if she clears it first try with a better tree and those recommended gear changes.

yes, you're right. her current stuff vastly outpaces what is necessary (hell, when i helped my sister beat it last weekend she had 4-5s astra units from when mother was new. read as: no reveries, no arks fever, no ares the soul). the thing is, she could beat this tomorrow by improving her affixing, or she can spend weeks/months of frustration trying to get better and clear it with her current gear. my suggestion absolutely isn't the only way for her to clear the stage, but it's a pretty safe statement to say that it's going to be the easiest path.

think of it like a difficulty selector in a game. her current setup is like playing on hard, and improving her affixing is like playing on normal. playing on keyboard/mouse may make her life easier due to the efficiencies it brings to the table (which is why i said to try it) or it may not. the affixing however objectively will make things easier. the question isn't "does she need better affixes", it's "will better affixes help", and the answer to that is unquestionably yes.
    Improving her gear won't give her the skills required to learn how to improve in new encounters though. Sure it'll help, but I sincerely doubt it'll help as much as just letting go of the tech charge button more often and not normal attacking every 2 techs. That's not a tall order. And you're also kind of assuming she even has the resources to do 6s unit affixes like the ones you suggested. elegant tech and 6s arks fever cost almost 10m together on their own. Can you even get sentence tech on units? Also, don't forget she has 2 stages after this, one of which is omega hunar.

EDIT: There's also the obvious fixing her skill tree.

Improving her gear won't give her the skills required to learn how to improve in new encounters though.
    no, but it will allow her to learn at her leisure over time without being stuck in non-expert lobbies until she figures it out.

And you're also kind of assuming she even has the resources to do 6s unit affixes like the ones you suggested. elegant tech and 6s arks fever cost almost 10m together on their own. Can you even get sentence tech on units?
    she currently has 4s units. she can buy a much cheaper 4s arks fever, put it on her unit while upslotting to 5s, and then upslot to 6s from there. she can make use of dudu day. (unfortunately, she JUST missed the day that would have given 100% success for arks fever so there would have been 0 risk of losing the affix, but if she can utilize one of the dudu days to get everything but arks fever at 100% and arks fever at 95%, that's a very safe upslot.

also, yes, sentence tech is on units. in fact, it comes exclusively in 6s. they come from buster medal shop and can be resold. (along with 6s sentence receptor units).

Also, don't forget she has 2 stages after this, one of which is omega hunar.
    chrome/angel level is easy, and phaleg is A LOT harder than hunar (especially for a class that hits from a distance and has tons of i-frames). il grants after those gear fixes will murder hunar.. she can simply keep a safe distance to not get caught up in his ground strike/stun, and let stealth tech charge do the rest. after beating phaleg, the rest of the run is a formality.

Ok, got her to take some screenshots of her skill tree. This is what she has.
    pso20190602_195041_004.jpgpso20190602_195048_005.jpgpso20190602_195053_006.jpg

Hmm... can't seem to post regular images for some reason. Anyway, here is her equipment:
    Equipment.jpg

Thoughts?

PS: Sorry for being the middleman, she doesn't like PSOWorld very much for reasons I won't get into here, so she doesn't post herself.

those units are actually affixed substantially worse than i expected (but the tree was better than i expected).

marks (and mark explosions) are a huge part of where ph's damage comes from. as such, she's going to want to max out long range mark boost (especially since she's using il grants a lot) and probably chase mark boost. you without question absolutely want to max out tech short charge.

you can pull some points from attack jellen (this is fine with 3 points, it doesn't need to be maxed), mark heal, mark pp drain, and you can trim back lord of thorn a bit more if you need more points (there is some debate over the ideal number of points to put into that skill, anywhere between 1 and 3 is fine).

no, but it will allow her to learn at her leisure over time without being stuck in non-expert lobbies until she figures it out.
    If she's still learning, she shouldn't be in the expert matching. _(:3

she currently has 4s units. she can buy a much cheaper 4s arks fever, put it on her unit while upslotting to 5s, and then upslot to 6s from there. she can make use of dudu day. (unfortunately, she JUST missed the day that would have given 100% success for arks fever so there would have been 0 risk of losing the affix, but if she can utilize one of the dudu days to get everything but arks fever at 100% and arks fever at 95%, that's a very safe upslot.

also, yes, sentence tech is on units. in fact, it comes exclusively in 6s. they come from buster medal shop and can be resold. (along with 6s sentence receptor units).
    That doesn't sound like a "by tomorrow" thing.

chrome/angel level is easy, and phaleg is A LOT harder than hunar (especially for a class that hits from a distance and has tons of i-frames). il grants after those gear fixes will murder hunar.. she can simply keep a safe distance to not get caught up in his ground strike/stun, and let stealth tech charge do the rest. after beating phaleg, the rest of the run is a formality.
    Fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by RibbonSoft View Post
    PS: Sorry for being the middleman, she doesn't like PSOWorld very much for reasons I won't get into here, so she doesn't post herself.
    I don't like PSO-W either.

If she's really intent on never using the other weapons, something like this could work. https://arks-layer.com/skillsim/skil...IbrBrFcF000000

There's a single point in mark heal to make it easier to tell when you get a maxed mark through all the particle effects, but that can easily be moved back into lord of thorn. She could also drop short ranged mark boost entirely and max counter or something, but mainly I think she should just focus on cleaning up the mark boosts and maxing short charge.

EDIT: Also, I looked at the videos again, and I think one thing she should work on, that isn't even related to the XQ specifically, is her JA timing, I noticed she waits a really long time before attacking again. She can literally practice this in the camp ship.
    Last edited by Kondibon; Jun 2, 2019 at 10:46 PM.

Well, I finally got past Phaleg for the first time by Step Attacking around her using Rifle (the death floors were great for near-constant Counter Shots) and popping Purple Marks, but whiffed it against Omega Hunar. He did his first circular snake attack, and I accidentally dodged right into one after breaking out of Stun.
    Just so I can know whether or not I had a chance, assuming that I didn't die, does it seem like I would have come in under the 15 minute mark if I came into the fight at ~8:03 (as reference, I started off with a Rod Phantom Time Finisher [I was almost at a second Phantom Time as well], racked up what looked like maybe 150K [probably less, actually] damage from Techs, and didn't get to a Purple Mark before dying at ~8:34), or is he one of those so-much-HP-it-takes-ages enemies?
    Last edited by Anduril; Jun 3, 2019 at 12:41 AM.