Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by landman View Post
    Maybe that's because Japanese does not distinguish between V and B phonetics. A lot of languages that use both letters don't distinguish them either, spanish being one of my languages, I know that SOME regions in Spain pronounce V with an F friction, but the language rules don't distinguish them, other than changing the meaning of the word if you use one or the other (ex: vaca/baca). The same could be said of Motabia / Motavia, even if at that time we didn't know the pronunciation, the japanese name would be with a BI because they don't have any other choice.
    Oh, I know WHY the mistake happens, that doesn't mean it wasn't clearly meant to be based off Naberius the goetic demon.
    It's the same with Amdusia being named after Amdusias, and "vopar" is likely meant to be Vepar.

Also, while japanese script doesn't have characters to represent all the same phonemes as english, this doesn't mean japanese people are completely incapable of pronouncing english phonemes. They VERY clearly say Naberius.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKaiser View Post
    Either the adaptation changed things or the Funimation sub is trash just like the whole company (I hate this anime oligopoly between them and Crunchy Roll)
    I mean, the localization is fine to me, the only jarring part is knowing when they say certain things and the subs not matching up with that, but the actual changes themselves are fine in the context of making it more sensible in english.
    Last edited by Kondibon; Oct 8, 2019 at 10:05 AM.