Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I am a major PSO freak as most of you know by now.

And I see how everyone is dissing people with Spread Needles because they claim it takes no skill.

Im not naming any names of who did this...
    !-!HAYWIRE!-!

But really...does any weapon take skill to use? Does it take skill to push a button on a controller 3 times? NO, IT DOESNT.

STREET FIGHTER TAKES SKILL. YOU ALL KNOW THAT IT DOES.

PSO on the other hand HAYWIRE...
    I don't even know if I should get into it with you. You might say that pushing a button 3 times doesn't take skill...BUT HOLDING R AND PUSHING IT 3 TIMES DOES!

Im now done flaming...

Chaz

RAmar

VIRIDIA

Level 65

Puck 09 - 01

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: Chaz on 2001-03-10 05:23 ]</font>

Actually, I believe it takes as much skill as Diablo did. Granted, any person with a working right hand (No jokes, please) can succeed in these games, But....

There are times when a small amount of skill is needed.

It reminds me of how I used to teach all my friends how to lure enemies through narrow cracks and doorways in Diablo 1. The same applies to PSO.

Of course, strategy in PSO boils down to three things:

#1: PRoper Equipment allocation
    #2: Knowing what weapon/spell to use against each boss/monster
    #3: How to best use your skills to help team mates

The spread needle users sort of eliminate those first two on the aforementioned list.

Take me for instance, the only thing I fear at level 100 is DF on V. Hard himself, but I DO have different combat strategies I use for different situations.

For instance, if I'm playing with "low levelers" (anything under 70) I'll switch to a soul eater and take front-line duty, so they don't have to absorb hits. (It's just not fair to them)

And when I'm fighting bosses, I equip Star Atomizers (Those potions that heal everyone around you) and run to my team-mates, healing those who need it.

Most of the rangers I see, however, are humans. Since human rangers are pathetically weak at any level, it understandable that they use a needle. (That is NOT a flame) I have seen a level 90 RAmar doing 180 with a needle, while I was doing twice that with my Impact.

My point is, there is some skill, or else there wouldn't be losers cheating with gamesharks, and duping japanese-only quest weapons.

i think it would a little skill to not totally suck at pso. i mean if you just stand in one spot and keep slashing chances are you might get killed. with close combat weapons you have to be able to run in get you hit in and then run which can be difficult when they are faster on vhard. thats just my opinion on the matter.

Ha...Love the Image Link.

(Don't mind me, just trying to get some posts under my belt to up my rank, sad, isn't it?)

Like I said, it doesn't require the kind of skill, say, Icewind Dale or Xenogears did, but it does require you to learn patterns, and adapt to situations by changing weapons/equipment. Nothing major, but definately needed, especially in V. Hard

If you want to enforce skill (and have fun if you're the challenge-lover) then make a force NON twinked (for non-eq's, "twinking" means giving your newbie char a crapload of good items)

I've done it and it's pretty fun, but talk about money constraints, I think my mag keeled over from lack of food the other day.

As for Haywire and that other topic, that's good for a laugh, nothing like someone calling someone else immature then saying they're a "boner" rofl

OH god, I can't resist commenting on the EQ mention...

I got that March 12th, 1999, the day it first came out. Didn't even WANT it, but bought it. The rudeness and lack of RP'ing was so bad there that my LEvel 15 Dwarven Warrior Gildiss skipped out before April even rolled around. The day some joker trained a line of ghouls from the desert on the stone pad I was sitting on really killed it for me.

I'll admit, I tried a Force (The newman female) and even with the God/Minds I gave her, I still wasn't doing too swift. Then again, I simply cannot play mages in any RPG, never could.

Post 10 here I come......

I think it takes a fair amount of skill (maybe coordination) to play PSO. Is hand-eye coordination considered a skill? Anyhoo... Try using weapons with negative photon efficiencies, eh? Dagger -55% Dark. whoo boy. And, no, you can't cast Mana Shield.

Most skill I think PSO takes is timing when your wep animation is over and when you can move and such, like getting it perfect so you can do all 3 partisan hits and still run away in perfect timing.. if you get my drift.

As for EQ, I've played that way too long. My main chars were a level 55 rogue and 25 or so shaman.. so don't mind me if I use a lotta EQ slang :P I'm finished with it now, though. Where's DAoC to fulfill my fantasy MMORPG urge..

PSO requires some skill, mostly because elements mean so much more in this game than in say...Diablo 2 (cold, and only cold).

One beef I have with the game...and one that only serves to make it a bit mroe confusing is that the special attacks for weapons aren't unleashed in the same way they were done in PS4.

Otherwise, the combat tricks come into play when discussing positioning, herding, remembering where your bullets will not land (even though you swear you had a clean line of sight), dealing with enemies walking in and out of your targeting range without alerting them to your prescence, and so forth. (yeah, I play a ranger. Some people have problem with mages, I have an affinity to ranged combat. So sue me. )

Phantasy Star: This ain't your daddy's powergaming campaign anymore.

it does seem a shame that there is not more strategy involved in PSO, when i did an early quest the NPC said: 'use strategy...' and i was like, 'yeah, try getting a 389% civ2 rating!', some games like Civ2 just allowed people to win because they could be amazing with what they had. I guess PSO can be cheated easier. My force is only lvl 25. But thats all come from offline slog, and i'm proud of where she's at. i chose a force because i like a challenge, but there should be more of a reward for that than someone coming along with a duped gun and blowing everything away. Personally, i think that the force spell range is too low. Even 'The Bards Tale' from the 80's had more and cooler spells!! I guess i'd like to see levitating forces, turning everyones screens upside down (now that would need skill to play on!!!!), being able to unequip teammates guns mid battle with a single spell (whoops where did my spread needle go??) haha... now that would be fun.