I just tried to connect online and got the following message:

"(No.015) Connection attempt failed. Failed to retrieve IP address from the DHCP"

Now, it worked fine two days ago when I last played. Is this a problem on my end or theirs?

And what in the world is teh DHCP? Their main server thingy?

On 2003-05-16 14:42, kat wrote:
    I just tried to connect online and got the following message:

"(No.015) Connection attempt failed. Failed to retrieve IP address from the DHCP"

Now, it worked fine two days ago when I last played. Is this a problem on my end or theirs?

And what in the world is teh DHCP? Their main server thingy?
    DHCP is how your computer, in this case GC obtains it's ip from your isp. How is your broadband connected? thru a router or a direct connection to the cable modem?

Is your pc able to get online ok, i'm assume yes since you're able to post here, so sounds like some misconfiguration on your end, if you are using a direct connection to the cable modem try powering it off for 5 mins and then turning it back on and see if that fixes the issue, also make sure that your GC is set to obtain an ip automatically in the isp set up.

it's not like I"ve changed the settings since Wed.

anyway, I connect through a router, and I can get online fine right now with my comp...

I did have it set up for automatic detect... but I will double check.

thanks for the help. I'll let you know if it worked.

This happens to me every few weeks. I just fly downstairs, quickly reset my router (just have to push in a little button on the back of it with the tip of a pen/pencil) and I'm able to play PSO online again.

interestingly enough, the problem was not with the cube or the router, but with the same cord I've been using to connnect cube to router... it seems to have died. Found this out by trying to use the cord to connect my computer to the net... sigh.

Thanks for the help. I'm glad it wasn't anything serrious... but I do find it weird that the cord would suddenly die.