Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    The Sparkling Diamond

Hi Everyone,

I've seen this question asked countless times and in various forms within this discussion area:

What motivates certain people to cheat/hack?

So I'll share my thoughts:

We live in a world with rules and boundaries. We cannot fly like Superman, Run at the lightning speed like Flash Gordon or stop bullets in mid air like Neo from the Matrix films. These characters are fascinating to us because they are not prisoners bound by the laws of physics that govern our universe.

The video game allows people to step out of their day to day lives and temporarily immerse themselves into any number of countless, fantastic worlds. I'm sure we all enjoy video games because they provide us with a wonderful, brief escape from reality. Many people feel that simply playing a video game the way it was intended to be is fulfilling enough.

There are however, a group of people who are not so satisfied with merely playing a game. Hackers cannot alter the physical laws of our world however, the virtual universe of software has no boundaries. These people, already constrained in the real world will no longer settle on passively playing by the rules. The way they see it, they dare to take flight while others are content to keep both feet on the ground.

Just another commentary from your friendly neighborhood PSO philosopher.

-Satine

Veteran Fighter

Pretty nice speach... also videogames are also a vacation for people that can't afford to go to Hawaii for a 6 day 7 night vacation (YET!)

I wouldn't know.

Rappy Hunter

I don't hack, but I know I got ALOT of hacked items. But the reason why I don't care is because I will not be playing the game much longer. I will be beta testing FFXI here in the next few days for the ps2. :shrugs:

My theory on hacking. You cannot control everyone or what they do so what is the use of even trying?

On 2003-06-09 17:36, Annorax wrote:

My theory on hacking. You cannot control everyone or what they do so what is the use of even trying?
    I'm sure that law enforcement would have a nice little reply to that.

Rappy Hunter

On 2003-06-09 18:19, RubyEclipse wrote:
    On 2003-06-09 17:36, Annorax wrote:

I'm sure that law enforcement would have a nice little reply to that.
    You will never stop all of them, which I think is a nice little reply to yours.

Well, you are right; we can never stop all of them.

But you are suggesting giving up; not trying at all. Which is just about like giving up in a fight because you got your leg bruised.

Or perhaps throwing away a million dollars because one of the bills is slightly torn.

Sound logical? Not at all.

We can't stop them all, but we can try. And for one, I'm not about to give up when the going starts to get rough.

On 2003-06-09 18:42, RubyEclipse wrote:
    Well, you are right; we can never stop all of them.

But you are suggesting giving up; not trying at all. Which is just about like giving up in a fight because you got your leg bruised.

Or perhaps throwing away a million dollars because one of the bills is slightly torn.

Sound logical? Not at all.

We can't stop them all, but we can try. And for one, I'm not about to give up when the going starts to get rough.
    Heh. All I can say is...go get 'em. And if/when the day comes that the servers are shut down, lets agree to meet back here (if psow still exists) and we'll see how well you've done to stop the "injustices" that have befallen the our beloved game. I'm pretty sure I won't be huffing and puffing or badly bruised, but you might

Now don't get me wrong; I'm not an extremist legit that refuses to play in a team if someone else uses a dupe, or doesn't go to vega because it is "dupe-city."

As a matter of fact, I use dupes myself, and I don't give two hoots what anyone else thinks about it.

When I do get involed is when other people affect my playing of the game in a negative way.

On dreamcast it was hackers; people who NOLed, VKed, and CKed, not to mention FSOD.

Now it's Sega, with their double save. It is causing more harm than good and they are too blind to wake up and do something about it. I'm glad they tried, but god...

The servers will one day be shut down. We all know that. GC servers lasting for 10 years will be a feat enough; but when they do close, I doubt it will be due to hacking.

Yet lets look deeper into that.

Double save came why? To try and stop duping.

So, technically, all this blabber about corruption would rarely happen had people merely kept their dupes to themselves, and not posted how to on boards of every kind (one reason I like this board). Lots of idiots at the sega.com board went a posted it, and by golly! They didn't get fame or fortune: Instead they helped give us the double save. Thanks guys!

So, whatever I can do to lengthen the period of time it takes before GC turns into DC, I will. I cannot stop the inevitable, nor can anyone, save perhaps the people with that much power *cough ST cough*, but even they cannot stop it all; as proven by barubary.

Heh, why, I think the greatest patch of all would be to turn normal PSO into an everlasting C-mode. I think thats how pso was meant to be played =P. It is, after all, a team focused game. In c-mode, no team, you don't go on. XD it would be a sick joke but I can see ST doing it, after double save..