Okay, I've been trying to wring every bit of story I can out of PSO and was wondering if there had been any statement, official or not, about how PSO would fit into the Phantasy Star timeline. *spoiler-phobes who haven't finished PS2 or 3 may want to steer clear*

( I hope this isn't a repeat topic, no forum search feature dammit! )

Anyway, by my own guesses, I think it's almost certain that the game takes place about 8-10 years after PS2. It fits together pretty much perfectly. After Mother Brain was destroyed, Motavia began it's transformation back into a desert planet, and the people were concerned that any hope of an inhabitable planet in Algol disappeared with Palma. Thus began the exodus out of Algol (seen in PS2's ending, further clarified in PS3) and the search for a new planet (segue into PSO's intro movie). Give or take a few years for travel time, etc. and the fact we know PSO takes place 7 years after Pioneer1, we arrive at the 8-10 yr. timeframe. There are some other little details that tie it together as well. The fact that newmen are still around in PSO suggests that the shutdown of the bioengineering facilities had not yet taken a huge toll on the newman population, meaning the newmen of PSO were "born" during Mother Brain's reign. Also, the Pioneer2's city-in-a-ship design is eerily similar to the world-in-a-ship design of the Alisa III (just toned down in scale). The only inconsistency is that PS3 states that only 2 ships survived the exodus, and of course Pioneer2 was not mentioned as one of them as it hadn't even been conceived of then

Anyway, discussion would be appreciated, and if anyone has a better answer than this, don't be afraid to make me look stupid

(one last thing.... back when info on PSO was first being released, I could've sworn they said other Phantasy Star heroes would make cameo apperances... anyone have any info on this.... ? )

-Vidar lvl100 FOnewm

I see one huge, gaping whole in PSO's storyline: How can Dark Falz/Force exist if it was nothing more then an extension of the profound Darkness' anger, and the Profound Darkness was killed?

So that definately narrows the possibilities down. We know it happens before PS4's defeat of PRofound Darkness.

However, theres another gap:

Dark Falz only appeared in the algol system because the seal was put on Rykros, the hidden fourth planet revealed in PS4.

So the ship in which Dark Falz/Force was sealed in, and the ship we explored in Ruins (That was a ship, Red Ring Rico left a message confirming it) must have come from a planet in the algol system because DF could only be from there.

Phew! (God I need help..)

So, there are two questions here:

What planet was pioneer 2 from, and what planet was the crashed ship on Ragol from?

We know Df only appeared 3 times before PS4. Once to posess Lashiec's body in PS1, then he corrupted Mother Brain in PS2, and then he snuck aboard the Alisa III in PS3 during the destruction of Palm (PArma)

I believe your theory about pioneer being a Motavian ship searching for a new world, however, I think that the ship DF arrived on Ragol with was actually the floating Space station where you fought Mother Brain during PS2.

Think about PS2's ending....We know DF was aboard, because you fight him before you reach MB's chamber. And we have no way of knowing where the ship went after Rolf and his crew beat mother brain.

My theory is that someone in his party survived, and saw DF as a threat to future Motavian generations, and sent it blasting into space.

[addsig]

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: Sheogorath on 2001-03-14 05:05 ]</font>

Your summation of the potential "when" of PSO is just about right on with my personal theory.

One little thing though... While PS III: GoD does basically state that only 2 world ships survive, keep in mind that PS III takes place about 2000 years after PS II, and that they are referencing the world ships that escape from Palma. The Pioneer Projects would have been born out of Motavia, post the destruction of Palma.

Now, our big question now is, Dark Falz. In order for this theory to hold water, this would have to be the same Dark Falz that Alis & crew fought in PS I. Meaning that Ragol was "built" or found by Alis, and used to seal Dark Falz away, outside of Algol.

I tend to think of PSO as sort of an offset storyline, which was inspired by the older games but, really has nothing to do with them.
    Couple examples are the old Ultima Underworlds, Martian Dreams and Savage Empire. Neither one really tied into the Ultima storyline, but they did use charecters, and items, and such which where in the rest of the series.

As for cameo's, well, I haven't seen anyone from the earlier games, but then again I've only logged about 135 hours...

Some people do kinda remind me of charecters from the old games. Red Ring Rico's sorta like Alis from PS4, Smart and strong and such.
    dunno, maybe it's just me...

-Ion Rush
    lvl 66 Humar

Sheogorath,

While it would make sense that DF would only exist up unto the end of PS IV: EoM, the series itself contradicts that.

PS II takes place approx. 1000 years after PS I. PS IV takes place approx. 1000 years after PS II. PS III take place almost a 1000 years after PS IV! As DF does in fact show up in PS III, we know that DF isn't directly linked to the PD. Rather than being a manisfestation of the PD's anger & hatred, DF is rather born of the PD, and "lives" seperately from it. As such, it is quite possible that DF can live and exist post the PD's destruction as well as outside of Algol.

You know, after reading your first post, I think you might be right when you say that Alis could have built a shrine on Ragol to hold DF.

I used to be big into Emulation, and as you can see in the back of the PSO hint book, there was a Game Gear PS game where they explored a planet "created" and "driven" by the teachings of their leader....Alis.

Notice the mantra on the seal after you beat Vol Opt Offline: "Mout Doulis Palma" (Or something like that, by memory is fuzzy.

Correct me if im wrong, but does that sound like the 3 planets of the Algol system? Mota, Dezo, Palm/Parm?

I hunger for the old days of story continuity. Like Dragon Warrior 1-4, for instance.

Actually, there's 2 PS games for Gamegear.
    Phantasy Star Adventure and Phantasy Star Gaiden, both carts are only in Japanese, but PS Gaiden was translated into english by a group in the emu community. PS Adventure is currently being translated aswell. You could find the roms pretty easily, and see if that'd help clear anything up.

The mantra does sound like the names of the planets, but was Vol Opt in any of the previous games? I've only really played into PS4(an not really all that far, since I was kinda stuck fighting Dio was it Zio), never could get into PS1-3.

-Ion Rush
    lvl 66 Humar

typo's typo's...
    <font size=1>[ This message was edited by: Ion_Rush on 2001-03-14 05:40 ]</font>

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: Ion_Rush on 2001-03-14 05:42 ]</font>

Something like... "Moote, Deiz, Poume" Spelling may be off... not sure.

It's a running theory... it is VERY similar to the planetary names of Algol. Even the seals themselves match up. Green seal for the tropical world of Palma, Blue seal for the frozen waste of Dezoris, Red seal for the searing desert of Motavia. My only question here is, if this is the case, why AREN'T they the planetary names?

I should be in bed...I should be in bed....

Anyway, this is a good debate.

Ion Rush: I know about Emulation. I was the guy who did that Tecmo Bowl Rom Hack which ticked off Flash Emuware so much because i supposedly didn't give him credit. (I did, but he didn't look hard enough, we came to an understanding)

PS Gaiden was a text adventure, I have both, and played through PS Adventure halfway before growing bored of it. I don't remember a Vol Opt in any of the PS games, and I've played them enough in my youth to where I would remember it had the name been in there.

Shado-
    As for the fact that they got the names wrong on the seal, maybe it's sonic teams way of explaining the changing of the names from PS1 to PS4. I mean, it's a topic of discussion in nearly every PS board. They all chalk it up to linguistic errors that naturally occur through a culture's passing. they started calling the first planet PArm, then it was Palm, then Palma.

Good theories guys

PEace,

Well, I previously posted my theroy on MOTTE DIES POMM, but when you guys were talking about how the spelling was just a little different from the planets of the Algol, I came up with two more therioes.

1: Maybe Red Ring Rico didn't have an exact translation of the charicters, or thoose 3 words weren't complete(meaning maybe the characters got damaged some how and erased)

2: Remember all of those different translations thoughout PS history? Maybe sonic team simply got the wrong traslation.

I support #1. Somebody with more extra time, try adding different letters to these words and see what you get.