Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

Well my good readers, I'm now under a different User Account, so I can no longer Edit posts under my old SN of Vantamiath.

Thus, I leave behind my 65 replies and ALMOST >_< 1000 views. I'm going to put up all my previous chapters (Welcome to fic boot-camp soldier. Read all the text on this page).

Thanks for all your patience, and sorry for the awesome confusion I bestowed upon you readers!

Anyways, if you're new to this fanfic, I encourage you to post your thoughts--not just positive feedback, but also negative feedback.

Now I know what you're thinking, soldier. That looks like a lot of text--but don't fear! Pull up a chair, get some munchies, open a cold beer beverage and just take your time.

Hey, if you read all of it and don't like it; I give you permission to rag on me--but imagine the favor I dunya' if you do enjoy it! WOo-Hoo!

Hippocanibal wrote:
    What it takes to have a good story: An Interesting plot that keeps you well informed but also makes its suspensful when needed, detailed descriptions that let you see, be, think, as the main character, intense fight scenes (this one is kind of a give or take), and last but not last Oran shaped soap bars...and this my friends, has all of them. This is by far, one of the best stories ive ever read. It is right up there with "Do androids dream of electric rappy's?" (which is by the way another one of my favorites.) The descriptive words are what caught me the most. The way they stuck in your mind and how you could see everything play out was great. (One of my favorite parts would have to be when the 2 Hucasts, the Humar, and tha Ramar charge the purplenum. i could just see them walking into her apt., and going into a black room. it was great.) If your reading this and havent read the story yet, read it! its great!!!
    Now lets have a 21 gun salute for my dear old Vant.

*bang* *bang* *bang* *bang* *bang* *bang* *boom* *pow* *jizzle* *poof* *pop* *bang* *boom* *bang* *bang* *bang* *kerbang* *boom* *bang* *bang* *bang*

R.I.P.

Vantamiath
    1000+ Posts
    Loved by few many

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AUTO_ on 2003-08-29 00:38 ]</font>

PROLOGUE

Principal Tyrell ushered in six hunters all wearing PURPLENUM ID's and sporting slick black outfits. He spoke quietly and tensed his facial features.

"I don't think you realize the shit we've just stepped in," he said as he paced back and forth. "This must be dealt with at once!" He bellowed-raising his voice. A slim hunter approached his desk and slid a picture on the counter.

"He's in section G7 of the western forest, he can be dealt with by tonight...but we need clearance." The small hunter said. The Principal poured a drink and sighed deeply. He tightened his jaw and took a seat keeping his eyes set on the six hunters. The Principal signed his signature on a small floating television, and gave it to the hunter in the middle.

"This will get you down to G7 tonight." The hunter quickly grabbed it and turned away, but the Principal resisted and pulled him back towards him. "No mistakes!" He growled with blood-shot eyes. The hunters grinned and walked out of his office.

The night air was cold and dry, and the forest was teaming with noise. The trees shifted in the gentle, sloping winds. The two visible planets glowed brightly in the deep black sky, along with a close-orbiting Pioneer 2. The flow of a nearby stream could be heard with a sensitive ear, and the wind whistled like it was crying. A camped squad of twenty hunters lied in their tents, reading about the newest news happening onboard Pioneer 2.

The squad had been investigating small housings for three days now, searching for clues on the whereabouts of Pioneer 1 refugees. Five tents each housing four members were pitched side-by-side, creating a silhouette of everyone's shadow through each tent.

A small engine could be heard outside, and it was nearing closer to the base. Mumbling within the tents resonated as everyone sat up and exited the tents. Squinting eyes looked at the path where the noise was coming from, displaying a small flicker from the front lights of the vehicle. Soon, the vehicle was at the camp, and the doors swung open. Noise came from the open doors, but it was to dark to see anything.

The headlights died off, and the image of the vehicle was completely gone. A loud noise of photon splitting the air rose as twelve blades lit the air. The light from the blades displayed six ghostly figures with flaring eyes. The steam from their breaths bounced off the blades as they grinned staring at the dazed squad. "Hostiles! Hostiles!" A man screamed as he ran into his tent.

ZHHOOOOM!

ZOO! ZOO! WAN-WAN!

SZWHINGGG!!!!

The blades sliced through the crowd dropping hunters to the floor. The tents folded onto the ground, with the dead hunters beneath them. One hunter sat shaking, holding onto a small portable message. The crew approached him, and the leader knelt down beside him. He glared at him, fresh blood running down his face. The hunter dropped the message, which the leader picked up. The hunter was agitated-lowering his head to his feet.

SHUUUUUNG!

A spray of blood stained the leader's uniform, and the lifeless body slumped to the ground. He tossed the photo onto the dead corps, and grinned watching the body drain-seeping into the rich soil. His attention was averted to see one of his companions holding a large wound across his stomach.

"One of the bastards got me!" He chuckled as he put pressure on the wound. He stood to his feet and spit on the ravaged campsite. The leader faced the vehicle indicating to leave. The six un-armed their twin blades, making the area pitch black once again.

CHAPTER ONE: Black Bottle, Pink Letters

The steam rising from Vantamiath's coffee watered his eyes, as he opened his mouth and inhaled the fumes. His nose twitched as he sniffed in the aroma, sending signals to his brain demanding that he wake up. His gruff, unshaven face itched so he glided his fingernails sideways back and forth across his sides while stirring his coffee with his other hand. His long hair dangled at his shoulders, flailing in every direction, making his head feel heavy. His small apartment smelt of food from nights before, and music rang from his bedroom which he forgot to shut off. He slowly sipped the hot coffee, holding the mug close to his forehead, causing him to sweat. He sighed deeply while looking for his television remote, his mug shaking from his jittery hand. He cussed silently while bending over awkwardly (to not spill his coffee) looking under furniture for the small remote. He finally found the remote, which glowed unevenly because of several broken buttons. The beam of the TV blasted a layer of dust off the screen, slowly floating in the bright morning lights. A large crack ran through the center of the TV, making it appear to be two smaller rectangular monitors side by side. He sprawled out on his only nice chair-staring blankly at the ill formed TV.

He was watching a nice game show where a spunky young female was trying to win a car that she looked to young to drive.

"Ok Angela, what is the capacity of Pioneer 2?" The old game show host's smile sparkled with a layer of bleach hiding his rotting teeth. The girl appeared confused and gave a shot of confusion like she just farted.

"About 20,000 people?" Her high voice squealed.

"I'm sorry Angela; you won't get that new car." He tried to look sad, but his face muscles were to old-he looked like he just broke his hip. Angela walked out of the camera and a little "dammit!" pierced the microphone. Vantamiath chuckled trying not to spill his coffee on his pajamas. Suddenly the feed on the game show was gone, and catchy music hummed through his speakers followed by a dead-beat reporter saying 'SPECIAL NEWS REPORT' in his low raspy voice.

"Early today a squad of hunters passing through section G7 of the western forest came across a ruined campsite containing over twenty hunters-all of which were dead and mangled when the squad arrived." He shuffled his papers and took a deep breath. Vantamiath sat up in his seat, trying to focus his eyes on the blurry screen. "Squad leader of the team that found them had to say this about the ruined campsite." He turned his eyes away from the camera and waited briefly for the camera to cut to the video feed.

The name Alec Bri was displayed under the large figure of a ranger.

"When my squad and I arrived here, we found the bodies under the wrecked campsite," he said as he scratched his forehead. "There's no doubt in my mind that this was murder from either rebel forces onboard Pioneer 2, or possibly someone else on Ragol. I'm certain that this wasn't from the creatures of Ragol...I'm no scientist, but it's easy to see these wounds were caused from photon like weapons." It cut to a picture of a dead body. His arms and legs were hanging in unorthodox positions, and clean streaks were cut from his chest area. "I can assure you that if the military doesn't do something about this, some willing hunters will." He licked his lips and his face swelled up in anger. The camera focused back onto the reporter, who looked like a complete ass in a bright yellow jacket.

"Squad leader of ORAN L6 (Lobby) Alec Bri suspects murder...could this be murder? Perhaps new creatures were missed by the scientists onboard Pioneer 2? Or perhaps the Pioneer 1 refugees were affected by the blast as well...and they acted in violent, vicious behavior? Either way," he tilted his large head to the other side. "News Channel 8 will be there for exclusive updates." Vantamiath turned off the TV manually, because the button on the remote was missing.

Vantamiath entered his small bathroom with his "work" uniform on hand. He dropped it near the shower and undressed while turning on the hot water. He stepped in the shower and took the ORAN ID shaped soap and scrubbed his body while staring at his mildew covered ceiling. He took his only shampoo bottle and tried to displace some onto his palm. None left. "....shit."

He ran his hand through his greasy hair while staring at himself in the mirror. He opened the medicine cabinet and glared at three bottles he forgot he owned. They were labeled "Gallon's Body Oil," "GO-AWAY-BAD-SMELL Scenting spray," and a plain black bottle with flaming pink letters, "Hair Styling Gel." He grabbed the hair gel and began to spike his bright orange hair. He layered it into thick clumps sprayed in some "GO-AWAY-BAD-SMELL" scenting spray for added effect. He laced up his blue uniform, shined his ORAN ID, and left his home with an unlocked door behind him.

He walked his usual route to the main area from his ORAN living quarters, occasionally taking a brief stop along the way to talk to a new female recruit. The outside living quarters displayed no windows to view the outside universe, and the local restaurants and shops were poor caliber compared to what the main lobby offered, so you would rarely see hunters treading around the living areas. The closer he got to the main lobby, the more people were walking by his sides. He reached the elevator, and blasted up two levels to the AH gate into the main lobby.

As soon as the gates opened, the usual bustling was revealed. Store owners on the corners nit-picked at hunters, trying to get them to buy that item they "needed" right before they went down to Ragol. Tekkers walked aimlessly down the long hall, asking if anyone needed weapons identified, many small groups were spread all over the hall, where friends come and tell stories that never happened, hunters screaming over all the racket to see if anyone wants to trade weapons, off duty guild women hanging around some high-ego in the local bar, medical nurses offering deals on healthcare, bums sitting on the corners of shops waiting for a kind soul (with lots of meseta) to help them "get back on their feet", hunters protesting outside the government offices-barking that their existence is at risk, the hovering vehicles overhead and below, the warp to Principal Tyrell's office guarded by six thugs with a collective IQ of one scientist within the warp, a pretty woman in a slutty outfit with confused morals standing near the bank, busy cafes with bright fluorescent lights and enticing music beaming just inside, the line of hunters and citizens alike trying to get their service at the bank, the hunter's guild-booming with hunters telling stories of slaying fierce creatures on Ragol....

and...

The only warp down to Pioneer 2. A wall of hunters stand behind it in multiple lines, all clutching their ID's and waiting to get clearance to go down to Ragol. The babble of hunters echoes and travels throughout the entire main lobby from "the warp". Hunters, rangers, forces, humans, newmans, androids...all waiting to go down to Ragol.

Where am I headed?

Well, my game show was cut short and a jackass in a lambent suit told me more bad news about Ragol.

I'm in the "Traveler's Bar" and I'm here to get a little tipsy.

Just like this slick looking female in black beside me...with such pretty eyes...

Chapter 2: Images

She wore rugged, cut-off, black shorts that went a hand-length above her knee. Her top was black as well, with ridges and tears along the sides. She was a newman, with long slender ears, and captivating dark-brown eyes. Her MAG hovered just above her slim shoulders, eyeing me as I sat beside her. She had two dagger-like weapons sheathed, one on either side of her hip; they were long weapons that extended past her knees as she sat. Her hair was (guess?) black and was very short for a female. Her black hair was so shiny, that it was reflective like a black-glass mirror.

"I'll take a shot of whatever she's having," I said to the bartender as he shuffled towards me. He split a smile and held up her glass.

"Rappy blood?" her teeth sparkled and were straight as an arrow. "It's very soothing." She said. The bartender laughed and looked back at me.

"You still want what she's having?" He asked with looks of doubt. Her head was facing the front, her eyes just as beautiful from the sides.

"Of course..she has very good taste," I said homing in on her sublime figure. She licked the corner of her lip, and my heart dropped into my legs.

After mute glaring, the bartender returned with a shot of dark-red Rappy blood.

"That's 10,000 meseta," He said sliding the glass over the hard table.

"10,000 meseta?!" I whispered trying not to embarrass myself.

"Rappies are very hard to kill, the blood is very rare," He sounded like a scientist or a tour guide. I ushered him to my shoulder.

"Look, I think I have a chance with this girl; I swear I have the meseta in my bank, please don't embarrass me like this." He looked at the girl and then back at me.

"Ok, but you better ask if she has a sister." He smiled and patted my shoulder.

I realized I had no idea how to start a conversation with her. Should I compliment her body? Maybe ask her if she has a boyfriend? I glanced back down at her shorts and the weapons around them.

"MUSASHIS?" I asked curiously. She turned towards me after downing another shot of Rappy blood.

"No, they're a sp--...they're YAMATOS." She stuttered and tried to focus on my eyes. "Sorry, this stuff can make it hard to concentrate." She said holding her empty glass by her head.

"The more the merrier." I thought to myself. I realized I hadn't tried my drink yet, so I drank the shot and slammed it onto the table. It tasted like the bottom of my boots. I tried my hardest to keep my composure in front of her, but I couldn't help but gag. She noticed I wasn't carrying any weapons.

"So where's your MAG?" She said looking at my shoulders.

"Left it at home...want to come see them?" I shot a smile as the bartender turned on the small monitor hanging on the bar shelf. It was the same drowsy news reporter, his yellow suit looking as ridiculous as ever.

"It has just been reported that scientists onboard Pioneer 2 managed to get photos of the attack from onboard cameras," She hit her glass-causing it to fall to the ground, shattering in an array of fragments as she gasped and her MAG circled around her.

"Are you OK?" I asked placing my hand on hers. She threw my hand away and darted out the bar entrance. I stood up to follow, but she was in a mad sprint. "Dammit!" I said to myself. I sat back down and watched the monitor-as was everyone else in the small bar. It showed the photos, they were grainy and very dark. A scientist was explaining the photos as the pictures progressed.

"You see here where the squad exits the vehicle; we're still unsure in the dark what model it is..." His explanation was rushed as he fumbled over the photos with his index finger. The darkness around the vehicle vanished as at least ten photon weapons ignited the dark air, creating wavy shadows of the killers, and a luminous display of the camped Ragol squad. The scientist slowed down the photos and circled areas around the vehicle.

"We can tell that every member of the party was of the PURPLENUM ID," he said displaying the small purple glares. "You can also notice that there were six members, indicated by the lighting from their weapons-the lighting also displaying no color from their uniforms-they were all wearing black," he paused focusing on the weapons. "...and the weapons, are really what makes this interesting. They appear to be long, double-bladed weapons, such as the MUSASHI and YAMATOS...only these weapons, have an exclusive purple color, which is a model that hasn't been created by any blacksmith onboard Pioneer 2, nor are they military issue." The photos kept running as everyone watched the small screen.

I glared at the table counter trying to put everything together. I held my head up and snapped my fingers to the bartender. He waved his hand telling me "not now!" keeping his eyes on the TV. I persisted and he ambled over to me.

"I have a huge favor...that woman I was talking to, I need you to tell me her guild card number, I think that sh-." He looked at me in near shock.

"First of all, you KNOW that's illegal?" He paused counting the ways on his hand. "And second...I know you need some female once in a while, but you're thinking pretty shallow in a time like th--." It was my turn to cut him off.

"Please, I truly need her ID number!" He sighed and rolled his eyes, then opened them and re-established eye contact.

"...You know I could get arrested?" His progress rate wasn't too great, so I tried to take it slower.

"Well can you just tell me her ID class?!" He looked down then shot his eyes right back to mine. He turned back around to the monitor. He pressed numerous keys on his register and finally pulled up the needed info. He scanned it onto a piece of paper and put it in my hand.

"You know where to take it," He whispered making sure nobody was watching.

I ran out of the bar straight to Principal Tyrell's office, the paper clutched in my right hand.

After two elevators and running though masses of staring hunters, I arrived at the warp to the Principal's office. The six guards twitched their necks as they stared at my messy, spiked hair.

"YEEEEESSS?" One said clenching his teeth.

"I have information about the recent murders in section G7!" I belted. He turned to the guard behind him and nodded his head. The man got on his radio and covered his mouth as he talked. He put the radio away and began to search me.

"He's clean...let him in." The six men parted and revealed the warp behind them. Bystanders viewed with puzzle as I entered the warp.

A long, narrow hallway stretched in front of me as I entered. I had never been inside the Principal's room. I stood motionless, taking in everything around me. A large section of scientists were in working areas on either side of the Principal's office at the front of the hallway, working and clambering like rattled birds. All the scientists were in long silver robes, and many wearing glasses. A huge viewing area encircled the entire room, showcasing a magnificent view of the worlds around-Ragol being right there.

I squinted my eyes to the end of the hall, where a large build of a man in a purple robe was sitting. I walked admiring everything around me, trying to focus on the information in my hand. I approached him, and dropped the piece of paper on his desk. His large hand stretched out and examined it carefully. His hair was rugged, black, and had long thin streaks of silver. He had olive colored skin, and he was twice as wide as me. He had whetted, small, white facial hair, that reflected from the bright void of space.

"What's this?" He said eyeing it closely.

"I think it's one of the killers from G7," I said softly. Nearby scientists turned from their work and stood erect in the working chambers.

"How do you know?" He questioned. I hesitated trying to finalize my response.

"I met her in a bar right before the news report came on, she fit the description perfectly." He laughed and his eyelids covered his eyes.

"So she was wearing black?" I nodded my head. "She had twin blade weapons on her?" Another nod. "And she's a PURP-," I pointed my finger to the slip in his hand.

"Yes, and when the report came on saying there was photos of the attack, she got rattled and ran out of the bar." He tried to find another back door for the mysterious female.

"Perhaps she had family out of the victims?" He said displaying another scenario. I gave him looks of doubt. He stood up in his chair with the slip still in his hands.

"How about this, I'll send a small group to check it out, ok?" He said with an artificial smile.

"That would be great, just trying to help." Another fake smile and he bowed his head looking at the warp back to the main area. I walked back down the long hallway and entered the warp.

"This is Principal Tyrell, send out a group (group is 4 people who live in the same apartment, a squad is twenty hunters-or five groups of the same ID) to PURPLENUM apartment #29," He said over the intercom.

"Very well, Sir." Said his secretary.

Principal Tyrell held the slip in his hand staring at the ID number. He pulled out a small lighter and burned the edge of the paper. The fire radiated and he dropped it to the ground-incinerating to ashes.

The four hunters approached the scratched door of apartment #29 of the PURPLENUM section lobby 6. Two HUcasts, a HUmar, and a small RAmar were the party, all of the REDRIA sanction. One of the HUcasts knocked on the door and stood straight up as he backed away.

"Just a second!" A voice cried from behind the rickety door. Locks from the inside could be heard turning as the door began to open. The small HUnewearl looked at the REDRIAN group and appeared puzzled.

"Yes?" She said with a coy voice. The HUmar was in awe, checking her out as he waited for someone else to speak. The RAmar was also stunned. The HUcast in white stepped forward towards the sleek female.

"We need you to accompany us to the Principal's office," he said.

"OK, sure," she said watching the group. "Let me go to the bathroom and I'll be right out." She paced back into the dark room as the two REDRIAN humans exchanged looks of "booya". The HUcasts watched the hypnotized pair and grunted, "humans".

They stood in the doorway motionless for about three beats. The open door displayed a dark room of mystery, and the HUcasts entered without emotion.

"This is getting suspicious, let's investigate," said the HUcasts in unison. The four entered with their weapons at hand.

The living area was pitch black, there was no TV present, no signs of food, and the walls held posters of the Principal with etched-out eyes.

"This is just too damn creepy," the RAmar said. The small hallway had three doors, two on the right, and one towards the back. Light was coming from the crack in the bottom of one, and the other two were black. The HUcasts approached the lit door first, and prepared to kick it in. The front HUC put three metallic fingers in the air, and counted them down till he had a clenched fist. They broke straight through the door, and there she was.

Her hair was frizzled and wild, her teeth were grinning and her eyes were demonic with rage. In each hand was a long, purple weapon-that made a loud vibrating noise.

"Defense stage! Attack! Attack!" The HUcasts said. The RAmar fired a streaking photon bullet from his laser at her temple. With one quick movement, she reflected the bullet back towards the open door. Straight through the RAmars head, splattering his brain onto the HUmar behind him. The cavity in his head was as round as a ball, smoke drizzling from the inside.

"GYYAaaaaAHHHHH!!" She shrieked.

"NOOOOOO!!!!!" The HUmar lunged over his dead friend with his Gladius on hand. The HUcasts advanced-both equipped with Blades. The small HUne handled three of them at once, using one blade to defend from the HUmar and the other from the HUcasts. They backed her into the wall, striking with incredible force. She managed to get a kick in and sent the HUmar to the ground, lying alongside his dead comrade. With her free blade she pivoted and struck one of the HUcasts. Sparks danced out of his torso area and he fell to the ground-landing on top of the other HUcast's feet. He couldn't move. He tried to defend himself from the blade, but it struck into the side of his head; he folded into the bathtub leaking fluids and smoke rising from the wound.

The HUmar leapt to his feet and charged the HUne. They struck blades three times-and then he felt searing pain in his chest. She looked at him eye to eye, and sank the blade a little farther. Blood exiting his body came up through his mouth, trickling down his neck as he tried to keep his eyes open. She leaned forward to whisper in his right ear.

"This is what happens when you try to make a difference," she said with a silent tone. The HUmar saw his friends dead all around him. He clutched his Gladius and whispered in her right ear.

"...aNd ThIs iS what hApPenNs wheN you PlaY wiTh yooreE pRey!" He struck the Gladius into her stomach and watched her eyes turn heavy.

The two stared at one another as they slowly dropped to the ground, each holding a blade within the other's flesh. The white, checkered, bathroom floor, was now a stained pool of blood.

Chapter 3: Mail Call

Vantamiath and his three house-mates awoke to yet another news story. Vantamiath, Jou, LEBO, and Kellen, all made their way into the living room to watch the glowing screen that was buzzing from a dented speaker.

Jou, a human ranger living in the house, wears a helmet that extends past the bridge of his nose-a dark visor hiding his eyes. He wears a bland, green uniform, close to the color of antique, vinyl furniture. Along with a long scarf around his neck (protect his neck from heat smolding from his guns), leaving only a portion of visible, light-brown skin between his helmet and scarf. His build is a solid upper body, but a slender hip-to-feet figure. It is said that he never takes off his helmet; because of this, his trapped hair omits a very putrid smell.

LEBO (A robotic ranger), was designed, and constructed, by a rich MAG farmer onboard Pioneer 2. LEBO's engine is free, and mentally, is indistinguishable from a human. Composed of dense-but light Ethebrium (similar to Titanium), LEBO has an incredible speed and acceleration rate for an android. His small, round head looks bizarre atop his massive build, making him look damaged. His color is pitch black, designed to be "Photon Camouflauge" in the night.

Kellen (Human male hunter), dressed in bright green, is very notorious around Pioneer 2 for his battle virtuoso. Hangings in his room feature won Rule 6 team-tournaments (partner Omni-Slash), and posters of great battle masters of the past and present (MUSASHI, SOURCE, Izlude, Mouse). His dyed, green hair hangs just to his shoulders-lustrous and smooth. With a slim, agile, battlers' build, Kellen is quick on his feet and even quicker with his mind.

The four went to their usual areas to watch the TV; Vantamiath on his tattered but comfortable chair, Jou on his low-stool, LEBO standing with his back to the wall, and Kellen sitting cross-legged on the floor. They listened closely until the news went to a brief commercial, in awe about the new happenings. Vantamiath explained how he met the woman-describing how he suspected her and got the Principal's help. Jou lowered his head and placed one hand over his visor-a dry tear sliding down his rugged face.

"They will forever be remembered." Jou said motionless. Vantamiath kept invisioning the footage of the dead HUnewearl, so beautiful-now lifeless and pale.

"IT WAS MERELY DEFENSE FROM WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE; THEIR SACRIFICE WAS GREAT, BUT, NOW THE MILITARY HAS NO LEADS--EXCEPT FOR THE MURDER WEAPONS." LEBO said stiffly. Kellen's eyes were locked on the TV screen, his eyes fixed on the middle crack. He turned around quickly, looking as if he solved a riddle.

"...It doesn't make any sense, if all the killers were PURPLENUM ID's, woudn't you think they'd live together?" He stood up. "It would reduce the risk of getting caught, because the G7 slaughter was obviously planned." He blocked the monitor, talking with hand motions like a coach. "I mean, unless they're just sick bastards that got off on something like that, but that seems very unlikely." I reflected on his words with my knowledge of the situation.

"That's probably a safe assumption, but the reports said the other three rooms didn't show any signs of other inhabitants." I said. "But I'm not sure exactly how she kept living alone a secret, check-ups are mandatory, and all living quarters must be fully inhabited--otherwise, it's required to stay in the medical housings."

"As ugly as it sounds, I think the only way for them to be caught is if they do another one of these hits." Jou exclaimed.

"LET'S HOPE IT DOESN'T COME TO THAT." LEBO said, putting his hand on the fellow ranger. Kellen shut off the TV just as the door opened.

4 MAGS came hovering through the air, carrying downloaded mail messages.

"Mail call." I said grabbing my bulking Apsaras. We all clicked our MAGs simultaneously, seeing what was in store. I had 8 new messages.

-WORK FOR CAROL DISSER, HUNTERS GUILD ORAN SANCTION...more info
    -Dissatisfied with your size "Vantamiath"?...more info
    -RENT CALL next week (APT #33)...more info
    -Are you TIRED of expensive Pioneer 2 Shops?...more info
    -With your help, a "ghost" was put away (READ)...more info
    -ID polishers, only 5,000 meseta...more info
    -"I looked you up in choice search at the hunters guild..."...more info
    -COME JOIN US AT THE SESSI CLUB...more info

I glanced through the selection, deleting all files except #3 and #5. I opened #3 first, glancing over the rent the coming week.

"Rent is already next week?" Jou said grasping his Pushan.

"Yeah, I think I can pay mo--"

"Don't worry about it, my battle earnings will pay it." Kellen said toggling through his mails on his green Kamas.

I opened file #5, where a .5 beat video feed developed. The other's gathered around my Apsaras, homing in on a centered image of Principal Tyrell.

'Thank you hunter for your information about one of the recently killed ghost members,' he said, seeming sincere. 'I would wish for you to meet me this morning at 432 beats; dress sharply as this will be a televised occasion.' The rest of the clip was mellow-sounding music, and a 3D laser image of Ragol rotating. LEBO opened his arm and glanced at a tiny, rectangular monitor.

"YOU BETTER HURRY VANT, IT'S 422 RIGHT NOW." I released my Apsaras and watched him glide into my bedroom, bringing out my blue uniform. I took it and went into the bathroom. On the checkered, tile floor I could see images of the five dead, a puddle of blood nearing my feet. I blinked hard three times, and then got in the shower.

I arrived at the Principal's office at 430, where two men sat on either side of him-both holding onto small, spherical cameras. He acknowledged my arrival and ushered me to come towards him. I stood by his side facing the small cameras.

Jou, LEBO, and Kellen sat in the living room, waiting for the broadcast.

"I'm just going to congratulate you on all your help," he paused. "It shouldn't take long." He nodded at the camera men. They both did thumbs up and the small cameras started rolling. "Last night a brave hunter of the ORAN sanction came forth with information on the whereabouts on one of the unidentified "ghosts". A REDRIAN group sacrificed their lives to take out the menace, and it couldn't have been possible if it wasn't for hunter Vantamiath." The cameras focused on me, the lenses bending around me. I wasn't sure if smiling was appropriate-so I just stared blankly. "It's because of great hunters like this, that problems can easily be solved." The Principal said off-camera. The camera men clumsily focused back on the Principal, who gave a wide grin into the camera. "Ok, we got it." The short camera man said.

"Ok, you're free to leave, thanks again for your help." He quickly turned his back and started digging around in his desk. I walked down the now-familiar hallway and nearly entered the warp, when a brisk voice called my name. It was Principal Tyrell. He came up to me with open arms; standing confused, I opened mine to hug him. He embraced me and thanked me yet again.

I turned back towards the warp, and the Principal patted my back rather hardly...

----DURING BEATS 430 and 435------

The two men stood fixated on the TV, watching with cold eyes. One of the men cussed in silent tongues, inhaling deeply.

"This man...I want him killed." He said fiercely to the hunter beside him.

"You're su--," He was grabbed quickly by the face, a look of horror in his eyes. The hunter flared as his skin turned red.

"I want him dead...tomorrow!" He shoved him to the ground, watching him lie in pain.

He looked once again at the monitor, grinding his teeth as the camera focused on Vantamiath.

Chapter 4: Enter the Arena

I returned to my apartment, where I was greeted by my group, awaiting my return. The TV was still on in the living room, muted and dimmed.

"The Hunter's Guild is going to be all over this now," I said pacing into the kitchen.

"Who do you think will be giving out jobs to capture them?" Jou said following me.

"Anyone with meseta to spare and a good name for a headline news story," I retorted. LEBO walked around the kitchen counter, trying not to step on loose objects on the floor.

"ARE YOU GUYS INTERESTED IN FINDING THEM?" LEBO said deeply. Kellen stayed in the living room, sitting on the floor and watching the TV-he quickly sat up to LEBO's question.

"Meseta isn't a concern for us, I make enough meseta battling..." Kellen said, obviously not wanting to. He paused and then ambled into the kitchen. "But it's not like all of us have to do it or none of us do it...if you guys want to-go for it." He said looking for food in the daft cupboards.

"I feel we would be doing a good deed for everyone onboard this ship, by atleast trying," Jou said pouring thick, black coffee. Kellen looked at him, holding a piece of old candy, waving it in the air in our direction.

"I'm not going to stop any of you, but I'm not interested," he said in defense. My MAG came blasting around the corner, then softly circling around my shoulders. I patted its sleek, metal casing.

"I wish you would consider doing this with us, Kellen," I said sharply. Kellen chewed on the hard candy, when his right arm started beeping. He flashed his eyes down on the small monitor.

"It's Omni, he has a battle reserved for us," He said while darting into his room. He came out with his equipment and his MAG following close behind. "Good luck at the Guild, I'll see you all back here tonight." He shut the door behind him, leaving a soft echo in the room. Jou sighed taking in his warm coffee.

"I'll go get ready, and then we can all head down there together. It's pretty early I doubt many peo-."

"It's going to be packed...just take your time." He took his coffee into the bathroom, leaning against the wall as he walked. I tilted and looked into LEBO's censors (eyes)-glistening with a welcoming glow. He moved the gears in his face "muscles" and smiled-I smiled back. He walked off to get his equipment, leaving indents in the carpet in perfect rectangles.

The walk down to the Hunter's Guild was a pleasent one; simply walking with my group through the busy halls and lobbies. The line to the guild area was huge, but we managed to get a decent spot. Plus, many people recognized me from the broadcast, and let us pass ahead of them. When we got inside the area, a wall of clients were screaming out jobs at the top of their lungs (They're clients for the Hunter's Guild, and hunters are clients for them). Clients would push their way to the front, pumping their arms wildly. The multiple sounds were so overtaking that you couldn't understand any one person, unless you stood an inch from them.

AUhdDwd!!!BudwAUyDis FIND MY SON!!!! SDHFSshfD!! I'VE LOST A SPECIAL WEAPON! sijdsaijaARaggeDAi HELP LOCATE THE GHOSTS!! shdianinxn! anaiNNA!

I tuned in on the client yelling to find the ghosts. The voice would die off and then spring back to life in a deafening roar. I found him, he was in between two larger clients-getting bounced around-like a moshpit at a local music concert. He was roughly my size; he was also an actual certified hunter. His ID was a rustic ORAN, glowing faintly in-caved in his red outfit. I tapped his shoulder three times (the sign indicating you will accept the job, two taps counts as hearing more about the mission for 400 meseta), and he signaled us to follow him through the sea of madness. We went outside the guild, away from the line, but not far from the doors. Not a saber-lengths away, were two hunters fondling and laughing, kissing and paying no attention to the people around them. My attention came back to focus when LEBO flicked my shoulder with his arm.

"There is no time limit on when to find them," he said with his hands cupped around his mouth. "I will pay each of you 30,000 meseta for EACH ghost that is either caught or killed." He studied his sides with his eyes as he paused. I became confused and shouted over the ambient noise.

"I don't understand...they're all certified hunters, can we actually kill them without consent?" His eyes were blood-shot, and a large vein in his head was present. He put his arm over my shoulder and lowered his head to the ground.

"Look, guys. Nothing like this has ever happened before...these people murdered twenty of our finest," he said tapping his ORAN ID with his fingers. He looked at our ORAN ID's and extended his hand at us. "This is about brotherhood," he bobbed his head up and down-never lowering his hand. "What these people did, that wasn't brotherhood." He tapped his ID again. "I want these fuckers to pay their sins in blood." His left eye twitched for a second, and his jaw lowered. "Are you guys in, or are you out?" His eyes watered, his hand still dangling near his chest.

"We're in," we said collectively.

Kellen tightened his equipment, studying his two oppenents in the room, both of which he hadn't ever seen or battled. They were both HUmars, both short with blonde hair. One was a VIRIDIA ID-the other a PURPLENUM. Both wore white uniforms, very clean and slick. The guild woman waited sitting in her chair, her feet out on the counter. She eyed a magazine, mostly looking at the pictures and not complicating herself with reading the information. Omni pulled Kellen to his side, whispering into his ear.

"I talked with one of them briefly; this should be a win in the bank," he said watching the pair out of the corner of his eye. "One of them just took up battling-the other does this just as a hobby." The guild woman cried from the booth chewing on her gum.

"You about ready yet?" She said with the magazine on-hand.

"We're ready to go," the pair said. She glanced in our direction, raising her left eyebrow.

"Yeah, we're ready too." Kellen and Omni said. They all walked over to the booth, the woman gawking about the rules before they all stepped into the warp. In a flash of purple light, they were transported into the common Rule 6 arena.

Fans of the battlers watched from the stadium seats-invisible to the battlers by laser created images on the walls. Loud music bellowed through the speakers while the countdown pounded, creating adrenaline in the battlers. Kellen closed his eyes, the sounds as regular as lacing up his uniform. Omni stood but thirty feet from him-staring hauntingly at the handgun box yards in front of him.

5.....(a trickle of sweat raced down Kellen's cheek)

4.....(Omni's right thumb twitched, shaking like items in a blender)

3.....(the loud music faded to a lower volume)

2.....(the box in front of Omni seems feet away)

1....(The music fades and the room becomes a silent coffin)

CRHSH! CRSH! CRSH!

Debris from boxes flies from both sides, weapons quickly snatched up from the ground. Kellen and Omni returned behind the wall before the other two had each broken a box. They both dropped their weapons on the floor, picking up what they needed. Kellen picked up an autogun and a set of knives; Omni took a brand and a handgun, as well as a stick. "Ready?" Omni said with the stick in his hand. Kellen nodded and pulled out the autogun. Omni hurled the stick into the back of the opposing wall. The two hunters were confused, and turned the corner to see what was thrown. As quickly as one turned the corner, he was dead and respawned. He spawned on his own side, his partner bewildered at how quickly he died.

"GAAAAATTTTEE!!!" Kellen screamed at the top his lungs. The laser fences disabled, and Omni sprang around the corners. A photon bullet from a handgun pierced his shoulder, and he folded face first onto the ground. He used his momentum to keep sliding on the ground until he was safely behind the wall.

"KM!!!" He roared across the room. Kellen stretched one hand out behind his base and shot a rafoie pellet towards his feet. In a blinding instant, a sphere of fire pounded the ground-sending Omni's body into the air. The explosion clipped one of the opponents, who appeared confused as he stood back to his feet.

"I don't understand it...they're winning and charging US!" The other hunter payed no attention to his fellow partner-keeping his handgun stiffly in the air watching the opposing corner. He stood in the open, the gun tightly in his fists. He finally realized it was clear and turned to his VIRIDIA partner.

"Kill you?" He said pointing the gun at his head. He nodded and the hunter adjusted his aim. In a cloud of blue light, an autogun bullet whizzed through the side of the VIRIDIAN's head.

"WTF?!" The shocked PURPLENUM said, holding onto his handgun in confusion.

The hunter felt a hand on his left shoulder, and tried to turn around. A brand slit his neck from behind, his body dissapearing-causing the handgun to drop after his "death". Omni picked it up with a wide grin on his face. The pair both spawned on the same side, knowing they werent safe if they camped. They darted around the corner nearing the opposing base.

"KM" Kellen said. The brand struck him and he instantly respawned. The first hunter to round the corner blindly shot a foie in front of him; it crashed into the far wall, leaving a burn mark sizzling with smoke. "He's hiding on the side," The PURPLENUM said. They got ready to charge the base wall when...

Omni stood tightly wedged in the corner wall by the laser fence-no further then 5 feet from his opponents. The VIRIDIA saw his foot hanging around the corner and got ready to slash his brand into Omni. A trap popped up not an inch from his face-exploding instantly and freezing the three. Before they could get out, they were spawning.

The battle continued, with 6 minutes still present, and only the PURPLENUM still alive on the opposing side (Level 50). "You want him Omni?" Kellen said with his eyes in the PURPLENUMs direction. "No, you go take care of him-I have mail anyways." They both laughed and Kellen rounded the corner with his knives on hand. Surprisingly, when he entered the PURPLENUM's base, he was met with opposing force. They struck weapons and pranced around the area as if it was choreographed. Up close, the blonde haired PURPLENUM had dark roots in his hair-obvious that his hair had been dyed.

Kellen finally caught him sleeping, and swiftly hit his body with the butt of his knifes. Even with battle being VR, pain can be experienced. The hunter fell to the ground in a comic fashion-his arms tightly locked around his body and his legs in awkward positions.

"Good game" Everyone said.

In an instant, the group was standing back in front of the guild woman, laughing while twirling her gum with her finger. "Good game, indeed," she said sarcastically.

"I have to go meet someone," Omni said to Kellen leaning towards the door.

"Ok, cya' later Omni." Omni left waving to the stunned opponents sitting in the room. The VIRIDIA hunter left right after Omni, but the PURPLENUM stayed and approached Kellen.

"That was....incredible," He said extending his hand for a hand-shake.

"Oh...thanks. With practice anyone can get like us," Kellen said shaking his hand. "Sorry about that little hit I put on you at the end."

The hunter had his other hand firmly by his stomach, and smiled after releasing from the handshake.

"It's ok, you didn't hit me that hard," He said chuckling. Kellen looked confused. The hunter stretched his right arm keeping his eyes on Kellen.

"It's just that.....I was in an accident recently."

Chapter 5: Black Morning

The group sat in the living room the next morning-usually how they start every morning. LEBO, Jou, and I don't remember when Kellen got back last night-almost certain we were asleep before he arrived. Conversation was stale, so Jou broke the silence with an obvious question.

"Did you and Omni win last night?" Jou said. I smirked and exchanged glances with him.

"Yeah...we won," He said polishing his uniform shoes. He stopped for a moment and stared blankly at the wall. "Nothing big, they were two new battlers." He gave out a short chuckle. "I hurt one of them on accident." LEBO appeared confused--not understanding a fellow machine failing.

"HOW DID YOU HURT HIM IN BATTLE VR?" LEBO asked. Kellen pointed at his tailbone.

"Hit him with the butt of my weapons...VR doesn't include the handles," he explained; once again polishing his shoes. I laughed with my hair hanging in front of my eyes.

"He must have been some pansy; I wouldn't imagine that being to painful..." I said. Kellen nodded with his back to us.

"Well he said he was in an accident recently," Kellen said with a wide grin on his face. I covered my mouth trying not to burst into laughter.

"No wonder you're such a decorated battler-you've been engaging in some intense cripple fights!" Jou couldn't help but laughing, trying to maintain his common seriousness. We all had a good laugh (excluding LEBO) and went back to an awkward silence.

"Anyways, when do you two want to start searching for...them?" Jou asked with his eyes in Kellen's direction. I got up from my chair, my shadow engulfed by LEBO's behind me.

"As soon as I finish my coffee," I said walking into the dark kitchen. LEBO tried to get a laugh out of us, thinking of a way to link his words.

"AND WE MUST WAIT UNTIL JOU IS DONE SHOWERING." I laughed while focusing my eyes into the cupboard.

"What do you mean? He smells heavenly!" Kellen said jubilantly. LEBO paused and turned into his room.

"IF THAT IS THE SMELL OF HEAVEN-I'LL TAKE MY CHANCES WITH HELL!" LEBO bellowed. We all laughed in the penurious apartment-almost forgetting everything else going on outside our small door.

The three of us got ready to start our search-I was the one lagging the group, trying to spike my hair in a non-assonating fashion. I rushed to the door where Jou and Lebo stood waiting; Kellen sat cross-legged on the ground, reading a book on battle tactics. My MAG was floating over my back as I stepped to open the door. I put my hand on the rusted knob, when my Apsaras lost its cool. It spun up and down making buzzing noises with its engines, flashing its main censor on my back. I turned around confused looking at Jou and LEBO.

"What's on my back?" I said stretching my neck, trying to see what it was. Jou's eyes couldn't be seen behind his dark visor, and LEBO, well, is a robot. "What is it?" I questioned again. The two stood looking at my back-motionless and speechless. I prepared to take off my uniform, when LEBO put his hand on my shoulder.

"IT'S A SMALL DEVICE I HAVEN'T SEEN BEFORE; I'LL TRY TO REMOVE IT, IT'S REALLY SMALL," he said running his metallic hands over my back. I turned around to see him holding it in his hands. It was tiny, almost the size of a snowflake. It had no lights, no marks, no painted color. It was a tiny, silver, piece of metal. Jou stepped forward towards the door.

"I don't know what your MAG's problem is...it's just a piece of scrap metal," he said putting his hand on the door. LEBO held it closely to his eyes.

"WAIT," he said inspecting it up close. Kellen came over from all the commotion, standing on LEBO's side looking at the small object. "IT HAS A SMALL OUT-GOING SIGNAL-REALLY SMALL, BUT IT MIGHT BE SOMETHING TO TRANSMIT." He rotated it on all sides as he spoke. Kellen went back to his book in the living room, calling out as he walked.

"Guys go head and start searching, you can leave the object with me...if I get bored I'll take it to a tekker later," Kellen said holding his book in one hand. We all looked at each other-I nodded, and LEBO walked over and dropped the small item in Kellen's free hand.

"Tha..thanks," I said cautiously. He put a hand in the air giving us the thumbs up, never turning away from his book. We walked out of the apartment, not knowing where to start searching.

My MAG still buzzed around me in fear.

We walked clumsily down to the main lobby-not sure where to go after we got there.

"I can see why it's 30,000 meseta a piece," Jou said. "This is going to be like finding a deaf man at a music store."

We walked side by side with our equipment concealed. My Bloody Art hung on my right hip-a Vjaya over my back. LEBO had his trademark Vulcans hanging at his sides, flailing un-proportionally with his body. Jou's YASMINOV 7000 shotgun was stringed over his back-ammo casings tied around his thighs.

When we arrived at the main lobby, we started conducting ideas. Jou suggested we hang around a local bar, asking if they'd seen suspicious looking men in black (with PURPLENUM ID's); once he realized this idea was useless, he went back to silence. I suggested we try to get clearance to the Principal's office, and ask scientists where we should start our search.

LEBO.....had a different idea.

"I'M SURE WE COULD FIND SOME CLUE IN HER APARTMENT," he said as we all stood stationary in the middle of a bustling hallway. Finding a clue would be doubtful, and I was almost certain the area would be sealed off.

"I don't think they would have that area for clearance," I said to LEBO. Jou nodded in agreement.

"WE CAN ASK THE APARTMENT OWNER FOR A QUICK LOOK," he said with his head turned to mine.

"I don't think that's going to work, big guy," I retorted. LEBO put each hand on one of his Vulcans-lowering his head and then bringing it back up towards me.

"I SAID IT WOULD BE A QUICK LOOK."

Sith walked down the quiet ORAN apartment area-momentarily looking down at a small device in his right hand. People outside their apartments looked at him curiously and with fear, as he walked with a night-black, laced-up robe around him, and a dark hood covering his head. The shape of two weapons could be made-out underneath his robe, sticking out on either side. He grinned as he went into a portal, his eyes locked onto the device.

He continued his search, the glow from his eyes being the only visible light inside his dark hood. He was nearing his journey, when a military guard approached him with a mere Rifle. He walked beside the dark figure, trying to get a view of his eyes.

"Excuse me hunter, I need to see your ID as well as your hunter's license for those weapons," he said walking cautiously beside him. Sith walked un-phased, never even turning his head to him. The military man repeated himself; yet again, getting no response. The military man got agitated and drew his Rifle, standing still as the man kept walking.

"SIR, I NEED TO SEE YOUR ID AS WELL AS YOUR HUNTER'S LICENSE!" He said aiming the gun at his right shoulder. Sith stopped moving and looked around him. Nearby were maybe ten people, all of which, were watching him. Sith put his hands on his weapons inside his robe, grinding his teeth as he slowly turned around towards the guard. He walked slowly to the man-his gun still raised.

"IiIi'm sorrryyy, you see i'mm blindd kind siir," he said loudly as he approached the guard. A nearby group of hunters went back into their apartments, mumbling as they entered.

"He's just an old man," they said going about their business. The others stood up and walked away. The guard lowered his rifle-gazing into the blind man's enchanting eyes.

"Much apologies good citizen," the guard said, his face flushed with embarrassment. Sith held his blades tightly, getting ready to strike, but he hesitated-taking his hands off the weapons. He grinned fiercely and looked at the guard's neck.

"Yooorreee not worrthhh it," Sith said as he turned and walked away. The guard shrugged and walked back to his post.

Sith came to the end of his search, gazing at the door in front of him. He looked around him, saw it was clear, and opened the unlocked door.

Chapter 6: Silent Entrances, Fast Exits

The door creaked as Sith entered. Under his robe, his hands were firmly on his weapons. He walked in just far enough to shut the door behind him, standing on the door rug listening for sounds. He sniffed in strongly, his nostrils flaring. He couldn't detect anyone, so he began to slowly walk further inside.

He removed his hood-revealing his dark mystique underneath. His skin was black as sin and his head was shaved bald (even his eyebrows). Scars covered his entire face; but his face was so dark, none could be seen, unless they were felt. He had glowing green eyes that seemed oddly out of place with his dark appearance. When he grinned, his triangular teeth could be seen, reflecting light like a mirror.

He slowly put one foot in front of the other as he proceeded, his eyes bouncing around like bugs in a microwave. No lights were on in the living room or the kitchen, only the brightness from the TV. He looked on the ground, where a small paperback book was lying face up.

'Battle Tactics and War Games' Written by: Gamma Vision

He slowly made his way to the hallway; three doors on the right, and one at the back of the hall. He removed his robe-his black hunter uniform underneath. He licked the corner of his teeth and continued down the short hallway. No lights were visible under any of the doors, and it was as quiet as a dead man's coffin. Sith came to the first door, his hands tightly on the grips of his weapons. The second door was about four feet away, identical to the first.

Without making a sound, Sith leapt straight up into the air about three feet-his hands still on his weapons. With an unexpected burst, he kicked both doors in; the second door with his left foot, and the first door with his right. Before he hit the ground, his weapons were drawn and he charged into the first room. He waved the blades around with fury in the dark room, and then quickly cut a perfect square with the blades in the wall. He dove through the dangling chunk of wall, rolling into the second room with the blades at his sides. He struck objects in the room, creating loud crashes as he moved. He sheathed his blades, and turned to the kicked-in doorway. He stood for a good minute, again waiting for any noise.

Complete silence.

He walked back into the hallway, again not making a sound. He turned to the third door on the right-his blades still sheathed. He kicked the door from the side, breaking it off its hinges-now unconnected to the wall. He grabbed the door with a hand on either side, charging into the room with the door in both hands. He released the door and kicked it while it was suspended in mid-air, shooting it towards the corner wall. He once again cleared the area, and proceeded to stand motionless-listening for any sounds.

Complete silence.

He came to the door at the end of the hall, his blades making an "X" as he held them in front of his chest. Before he could kick it in, a luminous blue light shined through the bottom of the door. He launched his arms forward, creating a stabbing motion into the door. In a crack like the sound of thunder, the door launched in Sith's direction. The door went through his blades, and crashed into his body-knocking him in the air. Before he hit the ground, he bounced himself with the back of his head, launching his body back upright. The door was still in between him and his weapons, leaving him blind to anything in front of him. Sith clumsily slashed his weapons as he charged forward.

BLLIIIIIIIING!!!

Kellen's Twin Brand cut a clean streak from the top of the door to the bottom-nicking Sith's face as it sliced through. The dark blood trickling down Sith's face appeared light on his dark skin, dripping onto the carpet below. Kellen advanced with both hands in the middle of the Twin Brand-slashing in diagonal zigzags as he charged.

Sith countered every attack, as he slowly got backed into the wall behind him. Sith tilted his head downward, avoiding a strike that whizzed by his ear. In a black blur, Sith slid under Kellen's legs and now Kellen had his back to the wall. Sith gave out a quick grin as they exchanged eye contact, then darted at Kellen, swinging the purple blades violently. Similar to the sound of metal striking metal, Kellen's Twin Brand was cut into two. He quickly countered and held one piece in each hand-turning the fight into a dagger war.

The two danced around the room viciously, blood droplets shooting out from the cut down Sith's face. Kellen could easily beat him in a battle, but Sith had remarkable stamina. Kellen found an opportunity in the duel-a clean shot was available to Sith's wrist. He struck quickly, producing a gash in Sith's flesh. His purple blade fell to the ground, leaving his entire right side open.

Before the blade hit the ground, he kicked it with his heel, sending it back to chest level. He grabbed it swiftly, not slowing down once it reached his hand. In the streaks of purple and blue light, Kellen felt pain in his right wrist. A part of his broken Twin Brand fell to the ground-due to the wound. Kellen tried to copy the trespasser by kicking it with his heel. The blade went straight up-taking a piece off his right ear, then falling back to the ground.

"Shit!" Kellen screamed as he defended with one blade.

Kellen caught him striking wide, and shifted his weight to his hips, landing a tight fist into Sith's jaw. The blow knocked him off his feet-blood sputtering from his mouth. He dropped one of his weapons, leaving them both with one blade.

"GRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!"

"gRRRrraahaHAAHaHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!"

They charged each other like a head-on car crash, anger flaring in their eyes. Their wrists pounded with pain from each attack and block-spit dripping from their open mouths. Kellen managed to hit his purple weapon to the side-exposing his entire body. Kellen launched him into the wall behind him with an explosive kick, rendering Sith motionless. Kellen pivoted and threw his blade towards Sith; before Sith could position his purple weapon in front of the flying brand, it was halfway through his chest and into the wall behind him. Kellen ran around the living room, looking for his stray brand. He found it and spun around, awaiting Sith's charge.

He turned around to a blood stain on the wall-but no Sith. The doorway was open, fresh blood dripping from the knob.

Through the door Sith could be seen running down ORAN sanction...with a brand lodged into his chest.

LEBO, Jou, and I stood in front of "sealed off!" apartment #29 of the PURPLENUM sanction, with numerous warnings posted around it.

"Well, that was suspected anyways," I said browsing at the multiple signs. Jou turned to LEBO.

"Shall we try LEBO's idea?" Jou said-eager to break the law.

"Sure...why not?" I shrugged.

We turned around and made our way to the managers office of the PURPLENUM sanction (apartments 21-39), our weapons all eager with anticipation. We stood in front of his small building, gazing at the sign posted above us (Rent isn't paid--I throw your bum-ass into the streets!).

"Remember...we're not here to kill him," I said looking in LEBO's direction. He put his hands on his Vulcans and turned to me.

"RIGHT," he said nodding to enter.

Just as we walked to the entrance, the door burst open with a small figure sprinting out of it. He knocked Jou over as he came exploding out, running in a hectic dash out of the PURPLENUM sanction. LEBO and I helped Jou to his feet, watching the figure slowly disappear out of sight.

"The' fuck was that about?" Jou cursed.

"I dunno...maybe rent got bumped up," I said half-laughing. We all came back to focus, and turned towards the open door. His desk was maybe ten feet from the entrance, a bright lamp hovering above his desk.

There, in the open doorway, was an image of a rather husky gentleman sitting in his desk...

Full of holes.

Chapter 7: Unforgiven

It cascaded out the front door, like it was trying to leave the office-leaving dark red stains on the hard floor. Holes the size of a fist covered his entire chest area; his eyes were open, staring blankly straight forward. A child nearby was pestering the military officer patrolling the area, asking him questions about his gun. The child had his attention, as he thought it was a real ego booster drowning on about his Blaster. A woman walking nearby saw the blood trickling out the office, covering her mouth with her hand in shock and confusion.

"We need some help over here," Jou said facing the occupied guard.

"More like a mop," I said staring at dead apartment owner. The guard told the kid he'd be right back with a smile, then walked over to us rather stern looking.

"What?" He said with his right hand on the holstered Blaster. LEBO pointed into the open doorway. The guard's lower jaw lowered as he walked into the office, trying carefully not to step in the exited blood.

"Did you see who did it?" He said pulling out his radio, his hands shaking. LEBO and I turned to Jou.

"He knocked me over when he left...I couldn't really see him," Jou explained. The guard started talking into his radio, whispering with his back to us. LEBO tuned into his conversation with his built in microphones-the small motors could be heard running inside.

"Yes...Principal Tyrell..."

************************************************** ******************************

Kellen sat in the kitchen attending to his wounds, the door still wide open. People would walk by and glance at the blood stain around the door, then quickly shuffle away to their business. He typed a message into his Kama-which was sitting on the counter in front of him. He pressed "send" and the Kama went flying out the door, buzzing through the living quarters and down to the main lobby. Kellen stood up and eyed the stray weapon from the skirmish, sitting deafly on the living room floor. The carpet around it was black and sizzled-burnt before it shut off.

Kellen picked it up and drew the blade, noticing the patterns on the handle. The blade was a light-purple glow that filled the room, despite all the lights being on. The length made his hand tilt forward; the blade was very heavy and strong for its size. He danced around the room with it, striking in "V" shapes as he charged back and forth. Within moments, his Kama arrived back through the door, with a small message flickering on its monitor. Kellen smiled and walked out the door with his Kama, as well as the mysterious purple weapon.

On the TV was the small silver object removed from my uniform-buzzing across the TV until it landed on the floor.

************************************************** *******************************

LEBO, Jou, and I left the shaking military officer alone, making our way to apartment #29 once again.

"Why would a small apartment owner's death get the attention of the Principal?" I said as we walked. LEBO clanked, left-right, left-right-not responding, because he didn't know the answer, he only had the information.

"I'm sure he figures that it's the apartment owner of the...ghost-lady or whatever so he wanted to keep updated or..." Jou trailed off as we approached the door. I quickly looked around then nodded at LEBO.

POOOONG!

The metal bars covering the wooden door shot back in the room as LEBO swiftly punched them in, the door breaking into small chips onto the floor. The room was dark-- the kind of place you wouldn't want to throw a kid's birthday at. LEBO became a walking light, the monitors on his head beaming. We all turned and looked at the posters of Principal Tyrell draping the walls-his eyes etched-out on every one.

"Someone was an abused child," Jou said gripping his YAS7000.

We stood in the hallway, noticing the open bathroom door. LEBO advanced with his Vulcans drawn, leaving his trademark rectangles in the carpet. I held my Vjaya firmly upright, almost glazing the ceiling as I walked. We stood in the bathroom doorway-our weapons all drawn. The blood stains were still on the tile-floor (a dark brown color), and stray bolts and wires could be seen scattered on the floor and in the bathtub. LEBO looked down at the floor where his feet were.

"LOOK," he said with his small head bent down. It was another blood stain-a rather large one at that. Jou loaded the shotgun while looking down.

"The RAmar," he said, his scarf dangling to his knees. I sighed and looked down the hallway.

3 doors.

Two on the right, and one at the end of the hall. I tightened my grip on the Vjaya and slowly walked onward.

"One per door...yell if you need something," I said standing inches within the first door on the right. Jou held his shotgun as he turned away from the bathroom, and stood in front of the door beside me. LEBO approached the door at the end of the hall, pausing until Jou and I went. We stood motionless in front of the doors; a freaky vibe was all around us. I looked at Jou then at the door and back again for a complete minute-breathing in deeply with my Vjaya humming beside me. LEBO turned to us, his right arm extended in the air.

"MAYBE WE SHOULD KNOCK?"

************************************************** ***************************

Sith staggered into the small dank room, the hole in his chest throbbing with pain.

"What happened?" Braif said unemotionally with a long cigarette in his hand. Sith coughed hardly trying to talk, causing sprickles of blood to jump out of his wound.

"There was only one of them when I arrived, and it wasn't him," Sith said sitting on the ground. Braif flicked the cigarette on the ground-then kneeled beside Sith.

"So...what happened?" He questioned.

"He must have known I was coming; he jumped me, he was a very strong hunter," he said pausing. "If I would have been there a minute longer, he would have killed me, Braif." Braif looked down at his sides, his uniform now doused in his own blood.

"Where's your other weapon?" Braif said. Sith didn't say anything as he struggled to keep his eyes open. Braif launched his index finger into Sith's open wound.

GyYYYYaAAaaaAAAaaHHHH!!!!

"I..II--II los--t it!!" Sith screamed kicking his feet.

"WHERE?"

"A--A-a-t thhee app ap apartMent!!" He howled. Braif removed his finger and stood back up, turning away from Sith.

Braif stood motionless, and then quickly exited the dark room-leaving Sith bleeding on the floor.

************************************************** ********************************

Chapter 8: Acid Snow

A crowd had gathered around the dead apartment owner, gasping with fear looking at the mangled corpse. A group of military grunts made their way into the office, sealing what was left of him in a body bag. A young officer threw-up as they put him in the bag-his eyes watered as he coughed it all out.

On a building not fifty feet away, was Nensicis. He sat on all fours, perched on the top of the building, staring downward. Nensicis' nickname was "acid snow"; a nickname given because of his extremely pale skin, and his puke-green hair. He was slim for a hunter, with incredibly strong leg muscles. His eyes are pure white; not even the other ghosts know if he was born that way, or if he wears contacts. His hair is no longer then stubble, and is as hard as a blunt knife. On either side of his face, are two scars that appear dark in color-almost looking like face-paint.

"Do it Nensicis, do it. Kill them; nobody will see Nensicis, kill them all!" He said scratching his head, leaving small cuts on his fingers.

The soldiers marched off listening to the cries of on-lookers, each holding onto a part of the body bag.

Nensicis jumped from rooftop to rooftop-following the undertakers. He glided so seamlessly through the air, not making a sound as he bounced from roof to roof.

The doors flew inward in unison, crashing into the walls behind them. I ran in with my Vjaya at hand, the light from the photon being my guide in the small, dark room. I checked the only closet-then slashed my Vjaya through the bed (not taking my chances to look under it). I stood still in the room, sighing deeply.

"It's clear," I said panting.

"Clear in here too," Jou said from the other room.

"......" Nothing from LEBO.

"LEBO?" Jou and I said with a hint of fear. We both exited the rooms at the same time and went into the room at the end of the hall. As soon as we entered, LEBO could be seen standing still-his head moving from left to right.

"THE PLOT THICKENS," LEBO said.

Braif stood in the small ORAN apartment, his weapons drawn as he checked each room. He acknowledged the battle that had taken place earlier, the furniture knocked over, and blood-stains large and small around the apartment. He looked at the small device in his right hand-then sat on his knees in the living room. His eyes raced around the carpet, until he found it. He held up the small metallic item in his hand-grimacing with anger.

"Bastards!" He thought to himself.

His attention was drawn to an outline on the carpet. It was a burn mark from one of Sith's weapons, clearly visible in the middle of the room. The image wanted him to go finish off what was left of Sith, when he heard a rattle from a room down the hall. He drew his weapons and entered the door with "Jou's room" etched into the bark. The noise was coming from a small box sitting on the ground. He approached it confused; hoping a midget FO wouldn't leap out and bite his nose off. His right eyebrow rose as he placed his hand on the locked knob.

Inside was a small baby MAG, rattling back and forth in the small box. It flew up to Braif's face, its round monitor analyzing this new stranger.

"Look at that...a small baby MAG...you don't even have a Photon Blast yet," Braif said sternly. The MAG made soft buzzing noises, tilting from side to side. Braif grabbed the MAG softly in his right hand, and then drew the blade in his left hand. The eye of the MAG dilated, and began to make high-pitched squeals. It fought to get out of his hand, making it vibrate like he was shaking hands with a drill. He held the blade right next to the MAG, holding it at eye-level.

"I'm sorry..." He said with an evil grin on his face. He moved his eyes up facing the ceiling, as if he was deep in thought. "Actually, no I'm not."

He inserted the blade straight through the eye; a loud noise bellowed from the MAG, then quickly faded away. He carried the MAG with him until he reached the door. He set the MAG down on the doormat, nearly split into two pieces. He placed the small tracking device beside the MAG; lining them up like a child's toy collection.

Nensicis followed the men from on high until they reached the local PURPLENUM hospital.

"Ok, Nensicis...the job is done, now go see master...wait, you have time Nensicis...kill them! Nobody is watching Nensicis...and if they are watching, kill them too Nensicis!" He chewed on a piece of dry skin on his index finger, his left eye twitching as he stared at the mellow hospital lights. He spouted out random messages for over 2 beats, until he finally made his way down to the main lobby.

He finally came down from the rooftops when he arrived at the Principal's warp. He leapt down thirty feet away from the warp, walking as if he had never done it before-almost appearing drunk. The guards looked at him like a decayed booma, openly showing it with their disgusted facial expressions.

"Um...may we ask who wishes to speak to the Principal?" A guard in the front asked. One of the guards gagged as he saw a piece of dead skin hanging from outside Nensicis' mouth, but quickly composed himself.

"Tell him Acid Snow is here."

In front of us were two desks, meeting at perpendicular angles.

"This is insane, how could the military not have noticed all this?" Jou said staring at the tops of the desks.

"It's obvious there wasn't a search, or they knew it was here, and didn't care," I said standing behind LEBO. Jou turned to me, thinking of the many possibilities that could follow after my response.

"THEY'RE HITMAN," LEBO said holding a file in his hands.

The desks were covered with pictures of people onboard Pioneer 2, info about them in columns on the bottom right of the pictures.

"One thing's for damn sure...the guild didn't offer these jobs," I said holding up a picture of a young man named "Ash".

"Where do you think these jobs came from?" Jou said whispering. LEBO turned to the posters on the wall-the same usual warm decorations of Principal Tyrell.

"I SUSPECT THE GOVERNMENT," LEBO said.

"Why would the government want to have these people killed?" Jou questioned.

"Who knows..." I said shuffling through the pictures. A cool tingling sensation went down my back as I flipped through them; the hairs on my arms stood erect.

"Look, we're famous," I said flipping the photo to them. It was a black and white photo of our apartment from the outside, with no information written in the bottom corner.

"THAT SQUAD SHOULD BE IN HERE SOMEWHERE," LEBO said, clumsily tearing the edges of photos as he flipped through them with his thick, metallic fingers.

"Take them with us...we have to show these to the Principal," I said putting them in a pile. LEBO abruptly put his hand on top of mine.

"I DON'T THINK YOU'RE GETTING IT, VANT," he said. "THE PRINCIPAL IS THE ROOT OF THE DEMONIC TREE."

"We don't kn--..." LEBO interrupted me; he pointed a finger at my back.

"THINK OF THE ITEM WE FOUND ON YOUR UNIFORM...WHEN YOU ENTERED HIS OFFICE DID ANYONE EVER TOUCH YOU OR COME CLOSE ENOUGH TO YOU TO PLACE THAT?"

I sat dumbfounded, remembering the awkward hug before I left. Another chill went down my spine.

"Yes...he hugged me," I said. Jou re-drew his YAS and turned to the door.

"The device is with Kellen!" He barked as he pointed to the door. We all stood up and ran down the dark hallway...

We arrived in the living room--where a bright, purple light was filling the entire room.

************************************************** *************************