Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just thought this little tidbit might be interesting...

The Monkey King Bar I am assuming is the weapon of the Monkey King (also known as Son Goku) in Chinese (and Japanese) Folklore/Mythology. Apparently, that pole can shrink or extend at the user's will (consistent with how the Monkey King Bar looks when used). Now, when Akira Toriyama wrote Dragonball, he was planning to use this folklore (apparently, the anime Saiyuki also uses this folklore); that's why he named Son Goku, Son Goku. If you read or saw any of the older Dragon Ball comics/manga/cartoons, you will know that he used to have a pole that extended at will and he ended up using it to link Earth to the Heaven.

Just thought to maybe share it with you guys, especially all the players on PSO that use DBZ alias....lol

I hope we won't be seeing more Gokus now with MKBs.
    pso two:
    blue moon/caseal/ship 2

Actually I haven't seen any Gokus, I've seen a few vegetas, a few trunks, and a few vegetas, but no gokus...

Natural Playboy

As long as we are in the mood for origins of weapon names, the twin swords MUSASHI were named after the first swordsman to ever master the twin sword technique, Musashi.

I remenber a very old anime where a little monkey have this kind of bar was very old i dont think a lot of person can remenber it. I dunno english or jp name of this anime.

A Happy Chappy

That was probably Dragonball...

Was this it:

http://www.dltk-kids.com/dbz/t/goku05.html

*picture is too big to post straight of*

On another note of this, there's another anime called Goku Midnight Eye, where the main character uses an extendable staff. It is identified as the Cudgel of Son Goku the Monkey.

I grew up watching monkey on T.V. back in the early 1980's ( Monkey Magic, Monkey Magic.... - realises he is showing his true age and then shuts up - ) and I am currently reading two comics that feature the infamous Monkey King character ( Saint legend by Andy Seto and Xin: Legend of the Monkey King by Kevin Lau ) so for me it is always a treat to hear more about the Legend of the Monkey King.

I have always been ware of the fact that back when Akira Toriyama first created Dragonball that it was sort of suposed ti be a homage to the elegendary stories of the Monkey King. Everything from Goku's behaviour ( his apetite and his consant getting into mischief ), his monkey tail, the staff that he carried around to his flying Nimbus seemed to suggest that they were originally meant to be the same character and the ending to DBGT suggest that he is indeed the same charcter that spawned the legends.

Just out of Curiosity, why is the Black King Bar the most powerfull double sabre type weapon in the game, seeing as though the legend of the Monkey King is soo famous and and it is held in such high regard in Asia shouldn't the Monkey King Bar be the most powerful weapon in the game ( what I mean to say is that maybe Sonic Team should have reversed the names of these two weapons to make the Monkey King Bar the final product of the joing of the BKB and the Blue/Black stone instead of the other way around ).

On 2003-07-18 12:08, ProjectCafe wrote:
    The Monkey King Bar I am assuming is the weapon of the Monkey King (also known as Son Goku) in Chinese (and Japanese) Folklore/Mythology.
    it's chinese. the monkey king or sun wu kong was born from a stone egg and he was a michevious monkey king. he even pissed on buddha's fingers. he was so naughty that buddha got angry and put him under a mountain. then was released from captivity by the buddha so that he can accompany a buddhist monk to india to retrieve the sutras/holy scriptures. he was given the bar which he can control and shrink down to the size of a toothpick and put behind his ear. he also wears a ring aorund his head that the monk can control and made his head hurt if wu kong was misbehaving. he is immortal since he ate the peach of immortality and he can fly and ride a cloud. so yeah when i first read db when it came out, there were obvious similarities.

I remenber a very old anime where a little monkey have this kind of bar was very old i dont think a lot of person can remenber it. I dunno english or jp name of this anime.
    monkey king was made into a lot of cartoons and anime so you probably watched that.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LollipopLolita on 2003-07-18 12:51 ]</font>

Yes was very old anime like 197x i remenber that monkey found the bar under the water of a lake.
    I must found some pics heheeheh.

I found a small pic someone remenber it?

1967 anime very old