A Space Between a Blink and a Tear

i was looking about the fomar stats, and having a look at mine, and seeing a fomar try to melee who was close to my level, i ask myself why do people do this?, ive built my fomar for pure magic purposes, while i have seen a majority of fomars use the hybrid way and use both. but why use a weapon if you cannot hit, every time i see a fomar run into the fray of battle i constantly see miss miss miss, i know that this game is made to fit your style and i deeply applaud those who melee, because you are taking a step to a more challenging character life, but im just curious if it is really that much fun to miss a majority of times?, i enjoy just being the support style character who randomly tosses gifoie, anyways i do not mean to make any meleeing forces mad or such im just curious if it every lightens up and you begin to hit more?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dirk on 2003-08-08 16:51 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dirk on 2003-08-08 16:51 ]</font>

Disgruntled Culinarian/ Commis become Master

well, as a level 135 fomar, let me explain it like this:

yes.

i hope that answered all of your questions.

ahaha, that was such a dumb joke, lol. anyhow, let me really explain the FOmar dilemma.
    -FOmars have the worst ata in the game. unless you have a mag with hit and weapons with hit%, you can pretty much forget meleeing in ultimate mode. i love to melee in ultimate mode, but i do crap damage and get smacked to pieces, unless i do s/d j/z. you will want a mag with high dex and high pow.
    -FOmars have crap mst/tp when compared to other FOs. if you wish to do any real damage with techs, try this: use a merge and an appropriate 9* wand. mostly use gilevel techs when destroying monsters, because these actually do damage (you have a bonus). you will want a mind mag for most of the game. alternatively, a geist handgun-series weapon with high hit% can be used in place of a wand. since you can now gain tp quickly, you can use more techs without resorting to those fluids as often. it is good in this situation to have a mag with high dex and high mind.

yeah, i really hope that helped... i am a melee freak, but as soon as i complete my mind mag, i should be using more techs again... FOmars rock in the ultimate mine... well, not any more than any other FO, but at least they are competent...

A Space Between a Blink and a Tear

i enjoy the tech path of the fomar, i run with a c sorc staff and a gifoie merge and pillage through the mines, give or take their mst and tp is nothing to brag about, but its a enough for myself, to be contempt with. i guess the real advantage to the fomar is their avatar, to me its the greatest one in the game, even though their stats are dwarved compared to the other, the fomar is by far my most favorite characater, lol the problem is getting too 200 from 135 *sigh* such a long stranious path.

Hmmm well this is a interesting topic,yesw its true that FOmars are not the best melee characters but if you,can luck up on a high hit % slicer and a magic rock irrista,or even a soul banish then you will be able to melee just fine in my opinion. I have a FOmar lv 154 now but he couldnt really level great untiul around lv 135-140 simply because,i didnt have the proper gear but now since i found my high %slicer=rainbow baton and Soul Banish i wish it had a high Hit % plus i recently purchased some 50%hit charge vulcans im doing great now,ultimate runs are no problem.

Oh yeah almost forgot to mention,one of the main reasons all of gthose FOmars suck is because they listen to people who say FOrces do not need luck materials?Well its safe to say it makes a melee FOrce a melee FOrce

fomar's mst/tp do not suck to the other forces with the exception of the fonewearl who in turn only gets a tech boost to simple techniques... 1340 vs 1750. fonewm only has 160 more MST, which really isn't so bad. find a way to max out your mst with a good solid mind mag, some units, and a good wand series weapon...

for whatever reason, the guide section doesn't list the magical piece as 'ideal fomar equipment'. but it's not a bad idea...1.3x boost from the natural ability, 1.3x boost from the wand....1.6x boost to all gi spells... if you don't mind it looking just a little effeminate for your character, but remind yourself.. your'e in a goddamn dress already. if you want to sacrifice efficiency for looks, c-sorceror cane gives a 20% boost, and gives a 10% tp save... and will probably take less time to find than the 40 or 50 p-drops needed to make the piece.

soul banish is great for the VR areas where spells seem to lose their gusto... but taking care of your ATA is paramount.. don't depend on a good hit weapon, but if you do find anything useful, equipable, and high hit...go for it. red sabers, red handguns, plantain fan/fatsia, inferno bazooka, rainbow baton, even good hit vulcans if your base ATA is 160ish.

The choice is really up to the user I guess.

I have a melee FOmar, but he's only in Normal Mode still. So I gave him my power mag from my HUnewearl and a Double Saber and I think it suits him fine.

The thing is , the FOmar does not have the best MST, but not the worst. His is lower than both of the Newmans but higher than the FOmarl. He has potential either way you use him really.

Plus a Power/Dexterity mag can usually fix the always missing part. He's competant with weapons and good with magic. Think of him as the Force version of the HUnewearl, well, I look at him like that anyways.

I'm planning on balancing him out so that he's not horrible at either fighting style.

I personally don't see the point of a melee Force. I mean it's a matter of playing style, but my playing style doesn't allow for a melee Force. If I want to swing a weapon, I'll use one of my two Hunters. When I want to use techs, I use my FOmar.