View Poll Results: My anwser...
NO!
Too many people are doing this and calling it legit. Getting FSODed or Corrupted

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

33 61.11%
  • No

21 38.89%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    I hate noobs w/ J-Swords

Amen Civx I could careless about the rest of u guys. i dont play all the time and when i pay for something monthly it should work right. the sole reason i got into hacking my xbox is because of PSOX's FSOD. Maybe if it worked right maybe i wouldve stayed legit?

so because of connectivity problems people resort to hacking/duping... hmmm sounds pathetic to me. why not just go back out there and RE-EARN your stuff.

-edwinsu-

Sivar Cultist

On 2003-09-24 08:32, gallaugher wrote:
    If you spend hours & hours to find a weapon then make sure it's equipped when you're at a save point. There are ways of coping with FSOD. You just can't have 4 uber weapons on you at all times.
    Since FSOD isn't an intended part of the gameplay experience, the burden should not be on the player to make the neccesary provisions within the game to avoid the negative effects of FSOD which is outside the game.

I don't consider duping of any kind to be legit.
    If this is the case, then I think that we need to change the definition of what legit and non-legit is. This change should reflect more of the intention with which an act is done, rather than what the act is itself.

Cheating in general is using some method outside the accepted rules to gain an unfair or unearned advantage. There's two things to look at then in determining whether cheating's going on. First, is the method in question (duping) something outside of the accepted rules of the game. Sure it is. Second, is that method used to gain some sort of unfair or unearned advantage. If all that the person is doing, is keeping the duped item as a backup, and the original item is in fact legit, then the answer to that is no. The person earned the item fairly. Therefore the person should not be considered to be cheating, and is therefore legit!

In effect, all a person is doing is using one thing outside the intended scope of the game to guard against something else outside the intended scope of the game, with no effect on anything inside the scope of the game.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rogue100 on 2003-09-25 03:16 ]</font>

OMFG! I DUPED BOTH MY CHARACTERS EQUIPMENT, AND STORED IT ON MY OTHER MEMORY CARD! I'M GONNA GO TO PSO-HELL!

...Sarcasm aside, let's be frank for a second - What good will duping equipment do for me? Who here thinks anyone wants an un-legit A.Beast 10% Ruins 15% Psycho Wand or a Native 30% Caduceus, when you can get either one with Uber percents mass produced on Vega? As for my Mags, they're useless unless you're a RAmarl, FOnewm, or FOmarl trying to max out your ATA and MST and have used the exact same amount of materials as I have.

old school fanatic

On 2003-09-25 03:08, Rogue100 wrote:
    Since FSOD isn't an intended part of the gameplay experience, the burden should not be on the player to make the neccesary provisions within the game to avoid the negative effects of FSOD which is outside the game.
    That's a pretty weak argument. When duping an item as a backup in case of fsod you're essentially doing the same thing. Either way, the burden is still on the player to make these necessary provisions.

If this is the case, then I think that we need to change the definition of what legit and non-legit is. This change should reflect more of the intention with which an act is done, rather than what the act is itself.
    What is the definition of legit and non-legit? Since no one agrees on what it is there is no way to change the definition. I happen to think that duping just isn't legit. That's my opinion. Everyone else has their own.

I doubt there are many players that dupe an item as a backup but ONLY use it if the same weapon is lost to fsod.

On 2003-09-24 09:05, LJ wrote:
    OK I have made some backup rares on my characters. I make a backup and put it on another char on my other memory card. My personal belief is that its not cheating. You are taking extra precautions to protecting your items. I mean i dont wanna spend 2 hours pipng a Love Rappy to get a heart of Poumn and go online, say get killed, forget to reequip before i try to go down(as i often do) and get fsoded. Do you realize how much that would suck? Whether you consider it cheating or not i'm going to do it. You be careful with your items and i'll be extra careful with mine.
    Hmm lets see, what does legit stand for?
    Legit means staying within the spirit the game was programmed for. Duping, whether it is for good purposes or not, is trespassing the idea the game was programmed for. Hence, a dupe isnt a legit action, hence, you are no legit anymore...

Sivar Cultist

That's a pretty weak argument. When duping an item as a backup in case of fsod you're essentially doing the same thing. Either way, the burden is still on the player to make these necessary provisions.
    If you're going to attack my argument as weak, please inform me where the errors in my logic are. As far as where the burden does lie, you are correct that for those who don't dupe it is still on the gameplayer. That's not the important question though. The important question is whether that burden should be on the player, and the answer to that is a definitive no!

I doubt there are many players that dupe an item as a backup but ONLY use it if the same weapon is lost to fsod.
    This is not relevant to the question at hand. We are only discussing whether those who backup an item only for use in the case of FSOD are legit, not whether those who dupe for any other reason are legit, therefore it doesn't matter whether the majority of players who dupe are doing it for this reason or not.

<insert custom title here>

It's just a damn game,people. Don't get upset over it.

old school fanatic

On 2003-09-25 11:37, Rogue100 wrote:
    If you're going to attack my argument as weak, please inform me where the errors in my logic are. As far as where the burden does lie, you are correct that for those who don't dupe it is still on the gameplayer. That's not the important question though. The important question is whether that burden should be on the player, and the answer to that is a definitive no!
    Um, I did. Again, it's up to the player to deal with the burden. They can deal w/it by duping, not carrying as many weapons online or by doing nothing different at all. I agree with you 100% that the burden should not be on the player. But guess what? It is.

Sivar Cultist

Um, I did. Again, it's up to the player to deal with the burden. They can deal w/it by duping, not carrying as many weapons online or by doing nothing different at all. I agree with you 100% that the burden should not be on the player. But guess what? It is.
    Um, no you didn't! If my argument, which is that the burden should not be on the player to make the neccesary provisions within the game to avoid the negative effects of FSOD, is 'weak', then why do you agree with it 100% as you say?