Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I just found out something rather interesting.

I was reading this random book and it was mentioning some mystical power that different beliefs have associated with the sun. Among the names I saw some familiar names like: Varuna, Mitra, Savitri as well as Surya. I have known the mag nams came from mythology for a while but I havn't been actively looking them up.

Anyway. I found a very interesting web site (in Japanese however. I am sure English ones exist but this is the one I found), which is a database of some sort. I looked up quite a bit of mag names and was suprised that most of them are quite interesting.

For example, Rati that Ian-KunX lovs so much. Is from Hindu mythology. Rati is a a goddess that is in charge of motherly and harvest (quite typically associated together), at the same time, quite sexual. Rati is the wife of Kama (another mag!) and is one of the Asparas (a group of watery goddesses, and yet another mag!).

I thought it was amusing enough to share. =D It would be very interesting, albeit disturbing to know of all the relationships of the god/goddess where the mag names are from and put in some imagination. =P

For people who are interested in more AND can read Japanese. LINK
    I am sure you can look these up in English also. But just in case you're lazy or stuff, I'll be happy to look any other mag names up for you. =D

... I hope this isn't too off topic.

No, it's on-topic.

Cool find. I've known a few, but there were some new ones. thanks for sharing.

Somebody should make an English compilation of them.

Agni, Dagon, and Indra are all gods from some religion (can't remmber which) that correspond fairly closely to the elements those wands boost.

On 2003-10-08 15:56, Sounomi wrote:
    Agni, Dagon, and Indra are all gods from some religion (can't remmber which) that correspond fairly closely to the elements those wands boost.
    Agni and Indra are from Hindu mythology. Agni is actually Indra's brother. Dagon is apparently from what this is loosely categorized into "Near Eastern Mythology", and he is some sort of half fish half man god.

that's awesome it would have been a lot more obvious if they had names like thor, or zeus. great find.

Agni and Indra are from Hindu mythology. Agni is actually Indra's brother. Dagon is apparently from what this is loosely categorized into "Near Eastern Mythology", and he is some sort of half fish half man god.
    Notice that all three are also the names as the three rare force wands

Fire Scepter:Agni
    Storm Wand:Indra
    Ice Staff:Dagon

Whew.
    First reading has the following results. All of the mags below is a mythical god/goddess/monster of some sort. I might have overlooked but there is a sort of quick short list.

Ashivinau
    Asparas
    Andahaka
    Ushasu
    Vayu
    Varaha
    Viritra
    Varuna
    Kalki
    Garuda
    Savitri
    Sita
    Surya
    Naga
    Nandin
    Durga
    Soma
    Marutah
    Yaksa
    Ravana
    Rudra
    Ribhava
    Rati
    ---
    Am suprised that Madhu, Naraka, Bhihava,Pushan and Nidra aren't among these. But, again, I might have overlooked.

While looking, also came across Elysion (from Norse myth). Gugnir (er, sorry whatever you call a red or yellow partisan)and also Gae Bolg. And of course there is the Shuzaku, Genbu, Seiryu and Byako (shields they are, no?).

Interesting stuff.

Edit: Corrected spelling.
    Edit: Again for spelling and Gae Bolg.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: navi on 2003-10-08 17:00 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: navi on 2003-10-08 17:10 ]</font>

WTF! What the frell!

that's interesting. I wonder if they ment to do that.

Madhu seems to originate from Sanskrit (spelling). Typically a female name, means made of honey in many languages.
    Here is a link:
    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=mead

Oh yeah, mead is another way to spell it.