The S is for Strange.....

I was doing a run through ultimate caves with my FOmar and in caves 3 i got to a room with a blue slime in it, i thought no big deal, ill just rafoie it to death. I used rafoie on it and it split, i thought slimes only split when you use ice attacks. Either way i used rafoie again and it split yet again! But it split into a red slime which was cool. After that it didnt split anymore when i used rafoie and the red slime didnt give me a rare either, cheapo slime! Has this happened to anyone else??? Why would the slime split when i rafoie-ed it???

The Word Butcher

its been happening to me too, but with zonde. i got my fonewearl, and im at caves 2. so i clear everything in the room except for the slime. i hit with zonde(lvl6 on norm.), and it split. ithought it was a fluke, so i hit again, and it happened again. really weird.

the slime can split with any Ra-magic attack if it's strong enough. it just doesn't do it all the time. it can split with grants even. but not megid, naturally

grants is good if you want to get rid of the slime fast because it can get rid of that extra HP. But to prevent splitting I suggest a powerful simple tech followed by grants. Or if you grants is fast enough just go for the double grants before the slime deforms into a pool again. So you might get another slime by splitting, more Exp and a chance to see a red slime.

ps: if you really want the slime gone hit it only with special attack from Hell weapons. this way it won't register a hit and deform until a good death attack connects. 95% death rate if special connects (sometimes you deal critical damage and no death trigger, weird...) But fast way to get rid of slimes.
    "Do you still think I'm scrumptious?" -- Rimururu, Samurai Showdown 4

Ranged weapons always miss with the special attack unless they connect with a shot (freeze, paralysis, instant death, what have you). Melee weapons (any special), if they miss, still have a chance to do damage (it's roughly half-damage of a normal attack, usually). Critical hits can still apply to that, I do believe.