I bought the Xbox version of PSO last year sometime. Tried it couldn't really figure out what the heck I was supposed to be doing first or in what order and quickly gave up on the game.

Ok so I get a GC for Christmas. Lo and behold I also got a copy of PSO for GC with it, seperate present just in case you're thinking it was some super GC bundle or something.

So now I have two versions of PSO and I'm thinking well I'll give it another try with the GC. So heres my questions:

1) This website, these forums have an abundance of information about this game, but as far as I can tell there isn't a "Getting started - newbie" guide. I mean I really have no clue as to what order I should be doing things in this game. Why I would go online to play when it seems that the game is playable offline. So is there a sticky post or newbie guide I've missed?

2) What the heck is PSO plus, and yes I've read the article on it, but how do I know if I have PSO plus or just plain vanilla PSO?

Excuse me if these questions come up a lot and it aggravates you to see them asked again. I really, really did search the forums and browsed through all of the guide section before posting. I'm just asking for a little guidance please.

La Chupacabra-1/2 Azn Ogre KaFKa's Avatar

On 2004-01-08 13:57, RedHat39 wrote:

1) This website, these forums have an abundance of information about this game, but as far as I can tell there isn't a "Getting started - newbie" guide. I mean I really have no clue as to what order I should be doing things in this game. Why I would go online to play when it seems that the game is playable offline. So is there a sticky post or newbie guide I've missed?
    go down to ragol, kill all the bad things you see, and slay the dragon. oh yeah, feed your mag monomates if you're a hunter/ranger, and monofluids if you're a force.
    2) What the heck is PSO plus, and yes I've read the article on it, but how do I know if I have PSO plus or just plain vanilla PSO?
    if you're in america(or anywhere other than japan for that matter), its just plain vanilla PSO
    Excuse me if these questions come up a lot and it aggravates you to see them asked again. I really, really did search the forums and browsed through all of the guide section before posting. I'm just asking for a little guidance please.
    meh, as long as you did a forum search and stuff, no big deal

RAPPY FECES!!!

On 2004-01-08 14:09, KaFKa wrote:
    meh, as long as you did a forum search and stuff, no big deal
    yea, most people just post a question without bothering to see if the same topic has already been posted...like me Thank you. lol

Why would u play the game cube versian when u got the xbox lol.... i mean cmon smoother graphics and voice comunication... shure we dont go all the quest yet but well get them sooner or later,

On 2004-01-08 14:38, DJKMAC2 wrote:
    Why would u play the game cube versian when u got the xbox lol.... i mean cmon smoother graphics and voice comunication... shure we dont go all the quest yet but well get them sooner or later,
    Ouch. That hurt my head.

RedHat39, I think the best "Newbie getting started guide" is the game manual that comes with the game. Your GC version comes with a nice, informative manual (unlike the Xbox version, grrr) that really explains the ins and outs of the PSO world.

La Chupacabra-1/2 Azn Ogre KaFKa's Avatar

On 2004-01-08 14:44, Outrider wrote:
    On 2004-01-08 14:38, DJKMAC2 wrote:
    Ouch. That hurt my head.

Thanks for all of the replies. At least I have a general starting point to work with now.

To DJKMAC2:
    I haven't decided which version I'm going to play yet. I'll probably try both in offline mode for a while to see which I'm most comfortable with.

To Liquid_Bacon:
    I read the Xbox manual but sort of skimmed through the GC one. I guess I should read it through now if you think it helps explain the goals a little better.

The game looks very intriguing and like most RPG games is very complex. So maybe experience will be my best teacher.

/me still wishes for a "PSO for Dummies" guide.

26Mins for EpI C1 stage

Well, you know the place you start up in Episode 1? (No, in front of the big ugly fat man, no, that's just the first time you enter episode1 with that character, I mean the room with a girl behind a counter).Well, talk to the girl, because you're at the hunter's guild, where you can take quests in order to fulfill concrete missions, not just plainly going around killing everything, and you can also earn some extra cash, that really comes in handy at the first levels.

The first three missions are something like tutorials... they're no big deal really, but maybe they're of help to you.

And why to play online when you can play off? well, I see 3 main reasons:
    1)Meet people. Befriend people. Have the nicest time of your friggin life.
    2)There are quests that are only available online(I miss Seat of the Heart u_u).
    3)In the long run, offline can become quite boring. Online becomes boring like after...1 year and a half or 2, but then, if you take 1 or 2 months free from PSO, you'll be wishing to play it online again. PSO online is a drug, except that this one is legal.

Oh and about what version to play... If you play offline, go with Gc. To play offline with X-Box you MUST pay the Live service. With Gc, no. About online... it's up to you, but if you own both systems, I suggest Gc. No Voice communication and more duping, but it's cheaper since you dont need to pay Live, and Gc servers does not limit your freedom of roaming around. In the Xbox servers you can only stick at the servers of your region (US, EU or JP). In gc you can go wherever you want to whenever you wish to (except when there's a server maintenance). Oh, and downloadable minigames for the GBA if you have one.

Thanks RFB for the good explanation of the online aspect of the game and getting started tips. I've played several of the MMOG/MMORPG that were strictly online, (EQ,AO,UO, and such),but was confused as to why this game had an offline mode that seemed to be playing the game's story line. I thought maybe the online mode was for just if you wanted to level quicker. Didn't think about there might different quests to do or content for online play.

I have a GBA but don't have one of the GC connection cables so I guess I'll have to get one of those. If nothing else so I can get the chao that I read about in the Fake in Yellow walkthrough for my Sonic games I got this Christmas too.