Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Savitri Tamer

For those that have played both of these games Im wondering if their pretty much identical. Or have they added additional characters, levels, features and so forth for the GC version. Im planning on either getting the GC version or DC episode 2 this weekend.

Dreamcast is Version 2.
    Gamecube/X-Box is Episode 1 and 2.

Gamecube/X-Box is everything Dreamcast Version 2 is, with some bug fixes (note I said some), and with a brand new adventure.

There are significant differences. Probably the most significant is that Sonic Team still maintains online servers for Gamecube and X-box, while the Dreamcast ones have gone bye-bye.

Other than that, Ep. I&II includes:

>Offline multiplayer, including c-mode and Battle Mode.
    >"Episode II," consisting of four new Areas to explore (though two of them, VR Temple and VR Spaceship, are recycled from Dreamcast battle mode).
    >Additional online content over and above what was included in DC, including an entire new Area, "Control Tower"
    >Three additional new character classes: FOmar, HUcaseal, and the butt-kicking RAmarl.
    >Slight tweaks to the character classes to balance them out a bit. HUmars no longer rule the known universe. Forces are quite a bit better in Ep.I&II generally than they were in DC Ver.2. There is distinct variance in what techniques can be used, and there are other special abilities such as android HP regeneration, tech damage bonuses, and the like. You can no longer use infinite stat materials.
    >Considerably easier difficulty on Ultimate Mode. GC/Xbox Ultimate mode is far, far easier.
    >Rare drops happen more often.
    >Other tweaks to the system. Certain items are gone (Waah! I miss my State/Maintenance!), others are changed, many new items have been added.
    >Some bugs are gone. New bugs have replaced them.

And the most significant change of all...

>Mome plays dead during the De Rol Le battle at the end of Unsealed Door so you don't have to protect him. Woot!

All in all, I prefer it greatly to Ver.2, though the original Version 1 was still the most fun, IMHO. On the other hand, I think that's probably because then it was still Shiny and New instead of being something I had done for thousands of hours.

The Dreamcast v2 lacked the following--

Episode 2
    RAmarl
    HUcaseal
    FOmar
    A number of rare weapons
    Special models for semi-rare weapons like the Cross Scar and Flowen's Sword (they were represented with the normal model, but with changing colors-- they were more or less considered to be normal weapons; in Ultimate they didn't even appear as ?SPECIAL WEAPON? when found)
    Red boxes (they were all color coded as if they weren't special)
    Episode 2 lobbies (they were all like Lobby 11, and the "soccer" lobbies)

DCv2 also had what looked like an Atari logo hidden on Pioneer 2, that has mysteriously disappeared in the GameCube and Xbox versions.

There were probably a few less-obvious differences in the content, as well.

Go team ph4il! 02/07/2016

Don't ever bother getting version two of Dreamcast if your planning on getting Ep I & II of GameCube.

Savitri Tamer

On 2004-03-26 12:30, Jason wrote:
    Don't ever bother getting version two of Dreamcast if your planning on getting Ep I & II of GameCube.
    Well right now its a question of whether I want to spend $49+ on the GC episode 1&2, or spend the 9.98 for version 2 on the DC. I have still yet to decide though.

On 2004-03-26 12:49, kutulu wrote:
    Well right now its a question of whether I want to spend $49+ on the GC episode 1&2, or spend the 9.98 for version 2 on the DC. I have still yet to decide though.
    The GC version is the better version, by far. The graphics are tweaked a bit, there's far more to do, far more to find, the servers are still up, and the overall balance of the game has been TREMENDOUSLY improved. The GC and Xbox versions are just plain better.

Go team ph4il! 02/07/2016

Savitri Tamer

On 2004-03-26 13:02, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:
    On 2004-03-26 12:49, kutulu wrote:
    The GC version is the better version, by far. The graphics are tweaked a bit, there's far more to do, far more to find, the servers are still up, and the overall balance of the game has been TREMENDOUSLY improved. The GC and Xbox versions are just plain better.
    And that has alot to do with my problem. Im not ready to spend the amount of money to play online yet. I own Episode 3 and i've beaten twice on offline, and I used to play the DC version 1 online and offline all the time but I never owned version 2. So now im stuck between investing the money in Episode 1&2, buying a hunters license, and getting the controller keyboard or just getting version 2 and playing it offline till im ready to invest in the former.

Legendary

if your going down the dreamcast route, try and get hold of the Jap or EU versions of PSO as the servers for those are still up and running.

Savitri Tamer

On 2004-03-26 13:19, Rich_T wrote:
    if your going down the dreamcast route, try and get hold of the Jap or EU versions of PSO as the servers for those are still up and running.
    Thanks I think i'll working on getting the EU PSO version 2 now.