Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    I Dream Of Sleep

Ive been reading the Blade runner novel latly (a nice homage in the title), and i felt inspired. I may continue this as a long story, a may not. I was thinking of doing this as a participation (sp!!!) fan fic, but im not sure yet. I just had to get it down somewhere.
    So, i hope you like it.

---------------------------------------------

He turned the data card slowly in his hand, over and over.

4 targets.

6 months had past since Dark Falz had been defeated, but Ragol was no better. The colonisation of the planet had started quite quickly after the dark ones defeat, way to quickly. One of the first colonys was totally wiped out by a sudden surge of creatures, and others were recieving attacks on a daily basis. Nearly everyone carried a weapon now.

4 targets.

Pioneer 2 remained in Ragols orbit, left to decay. Many of the old hunters remained on the ship, either to use to there surroundings, or scarred mentally by what they had seen down on the planets surface.

Thats where Deuce was.

He was a RAmar. WAS a RAmar. He had been one of the first to be sent down to the planets surface, and last to return. He fought his way into the depths of the ruins, battled the demons, and...thats all he knew. 1 month of his life was missing.

4 targets.

He played back the mission he was set over and over in his head. After Falz had been defeated, Deuce had become a bounty hunter.

Many hunters had become corrupted by Falz infuleance. Many were killed by there fellow hunters, but alot just slipped away. Falz power didnt even leave them when he was destroyed. They became cultists, worshipping there new god and praying for his return. They were violent killers who would sacrifice man or beast to there dark lord. And they wernt just secluded to Ragol.

There was large prices on the heads of Dark Falz cultists, and many old hunter bacame Bounty Hunters. Deuce became one because he feared the obscurity of nothingness. He wanted to end his life in a way someone would remember him.

Now he had 4 targets to take out. 4 Dark Falz cultists. He had been given there names and descriptions on the small data card he toyed with in his hand, and that was it. Either he kills them, they kill him or he forgets the whole thing.

Obscurity beckoned with that choice.

Chapter One:

"Oberon. How did i end up with a place in this sector?" Deuce asked himself, his voice deep and troubled. Just thinking about the sector depressed him.

Oberon had been a bad sector before the colonisation had started, and now it was even worse. Somehow Deuce had been moved to this hell hole, and it was having an effect on him. His face was bristled and unshaven, and his light brown hair was ruffled and messed up. He felt like the streets of Oberon themselves, a mess.

He made his way through the trash strewn Oberon streets, occassionaly seeing another old hunter, but never talking to them. Anyone who was living here would be as down and depressed as he was.

He was soon at his flat, a run down sty of a home, but it was the only place he had. He placed his 'hit' list in his pocket and flicked out his door card. He placed it into the reader next to the door and there was a short beep, and a green light flashed on, signalling that he could enter.

But something wasnt right. He slowly lifted the card out of the reader, and he felt it give slightly. He ran his finger along the side. It had recentaly been prised of. Immediatly he grabbed the Varista from his side.

He stepped forward and the door swooshed opened. All the lights were off, and he couldnt see anyone. He moved through to the living room, carefully navigating his way passed the junk and trash he had accumilated.

The lights were off here to, but the lights from outside were enough to light up the room. Someone was sitting in his chair.

"Dont move!" He yelled at the intruder, gun aimed for a head shot.

"Hmm, you wouldnt shot me" a confedent voice replied.

"You?"

Svm Inimicus Mali

Hrm... an interesting premise, nice foreshadowing (I must know who this intruder turns out to be), and good spelling and grammar to boot. A good first effort... I anxiously await the next chapter! ^_^

WHAM! created rap (according to my mom)

Hehehehe, i like the reference to Oberon being a slum..

Cool!

More I say!

wow, thats pretty good.
    cant wait for the next chapter

I like it. Is there more coming?

I Dream Of Sleep

Cool,im glad everyone likes it. Im working onthe next bit right now,and i should post it later.I would now,butim sorta in college.

I Dream Of Sleep

Chapter 2

The intruder sat forward in his chair, the neon lights from outside giving his face a red glow. A grin was fixed upon his lips.

"Draco, so you survived then"

Deuce had been in a team of three all the way to the ruins. One of them was Draco. He remembered fighting bravely beside him untill he got to the ruins, then trying to remember anything else was painful.

"Im sitting here arnt i" Draco replied in a sarcastic tone.

The two stayed motionless for a second, as if time had stood still. But slowly time wound itself up again as Draco got down to buisness.

"You became a Bounty Hunter Deuce. Doesnt sound like a job you would have gone in for"

"Pays the rent" a feeble excuse, but it had to do.

Draco was well built and in his mid twentys. He had long jet black hair that had been sweeped back over his shoulders. He had several scars criss crossing his face, and through his modified, sleaveless Hunters armour you could see more scars on his arms.

"But it goes against everything you told me and Jasmine, how you would only killed monsters"

"Cultist are no better then monsters!" he said in a strong harsh tone, spitting as he said those words.

"I tracked you down after your last couple of jobs, not very subtle were they"

Deuce remembered the last one. The Fomarl. She had been passing herself off as a healer, but really all she was doing was corrupting people to her cause. He had a face of with her in a town centre.

He had won.

"I also know about your next targets" he started playing with the hilt of his saber, balanceing it on one finger.

"The guilds meant to keep that infomation secret, how did you...?"

"The computer systems are old and riddled with holes, i think i child could hack into it. I need to warn you not to follow up those cultists" the grin had left his scar lips now and had been replaced with a very stern look.

"I think i can take car of 4 cultists, i took out three last week and ive only been working for a month"

"And doesnt that make you wonder why theyve given you such important targets, it only now being your second month on the job? You probably wont make it past the second target"

Deuce felt insulted. Draco hadnt kept in contact for nearly six months now and he comes up here and starts insulting his abilities. He scowld at the Humar.

"I can take care of it Draco" he sad through gritted teeth.

"Fine, i tried to warn you my friend. I wont bother you anymore"

Draco got up out of the chair and made his way past Deuce, not making eye contact.

"Hows Jasmine?" Deuce asked.

Draco screwed up his hands.

"Shes dead"

And with that he left. Deuce was all alone.

I Dream Of Sleep

Deuce fell into his comfy chair and sighed. It wasnt really a comfy chair anymore. Years of slouching and abuse had made it hard and uncomfortable. But as with the rest of the rubbish that filled his apartment, Deuce wasnt ready to part with it.

He started to fiddle with the data card.

Why would Draco suddenly come up to Pioneer 2 and warn him to drop his job? This was really bothering him. He hadnt seen or heard from the guy for six months then he turns up straight out of the blue. Maybe this case was really dangerous.

He took a long sip out of the whiskey bottle.

Along with sweet foods and nicotine, alcohol had been banned on Pioneer 2. Of course there was an illegal black market for the stuff, but it was only used by the incredibly wealthy. As soon as the colinisation progress began, these bans were lifted and nearly everywhere sold alcohol. Deuce had started to drink heavily since he returned to Pioneer 2 with a month of his life missing, it was the only way he could get himself through the day.

He put the bottle back down and changed the data cube to its next page. Strax, a Fonewm. He was up here on Pioneer 2 and the easiest target on the list. According to the small amount of data, he was seen last on Puck 9.

He placed the data card down next to the whiskey bottle. He was very tired, and the alcohol was taking effect. Puck 9 would be his first call of the day tommorrow.

He started to slouch deep into the chair, his senses blurring under the power of the whiskey. He blink once. Twice. The he was asleep.

I Dream Of Sleep

Chapter 3: Sweet Dreams or Nightmares?

As he drifted into an alcohol fueled dream, Deuce could see the one thing he put out of his mind returning.

Jasmine.

She was beutiful. A Hunewearl with lucious green hair that curled round her shoulders. Her large blue eyes shone like diamonds. Her fighting skill was like no other.

And Deuce loved her.

He could never admit this to her, or even himself. But somewhere within his heart, his sub conscious, he knew. He couldnt admit it because he knew Draco and Jasmine were already a couple. They were perfect for each other, but Deuce always thought he was better.

Now she was dead. He didnt even want to know how, the pain of thinking about it was unbearable. He had only been able to with hold it in his flat because of the alcohol following through his system. Now he was no longer in his flat.

He found himself floating in a cloud of nothingness and across from him was Jasmine. Her hair rippled in an invisible gust of wind. She smiled at him, the cute smile she would always keep for Draco.

He floated up to her and rapped his arms around her waist.

"Jasmine, i love you" The words echoed for an eternity.

She carried on smiling, and he heard himself say it again. But this time it recieved a different reaction.

She started to laugh. At first a slight giggle, then a hestericle wide mouth laugh. She pushed herself away from him and continued to laugh and point.

Then there was more hands, more laughter. He fell to his knees in shame, covering his ears from the terrible din. He looked up at Jasmine with pleading eyes. He stared into hers only to see the tell tale purple pupils of a cultist. Then she exploded upwards and outwards, into a horrible, four tenticled beast. He then felt himself being devoured.

*you've been here before*

Then he awoke to the fake daylight of Pioneer 2 shining through his window.