Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sagasu Comes to an End?

Sorry to disappoint you, but I must bow off stage to make a temorary retreat from the world of fan-fictions.

I have just so realized a quite fatal flaw in my capabilities, and this has infected my fictions to the highest degree. If you take a look at my work you can figure out what I am talking about (No Azbats, this by no means is of your doing, what I have decided has little to do with you, or any of the readers here.)

But before I leave to refine my style of writing, I would like to have a word with the rest of you.

I am a wild, unpredictable, and unstable writer. How? I do little, to no planning whatsoever. When I start writing, I have no idea what will come out at the end. This goes for my previous fictions, and my current one alike. I sit down to write, with the vaguest idea in my mind of what happens, and go on accordance to where my whim and wit takes me. How things turn out, are greatly influenced by how I am feeling at the time in such passive writing. This, in itself, is crude and terrible. When you want to write, you want to create. Something new, something never seen before, such a something can never truly be about you, or how you feel. For you are merely copying your emotions, your life, and pasting it in some new world. Is this.. truly creation? But more importantly, Is this what I'm satisfied with? No.. Even now I am writing as it comes, so I ramble, repeat, and become redundant. But somehow I manage to build something, however hastily, and its there. This skill, is what I wish to refine, I wish to be able to create upon instinct, instead of planned out and calculated thought processes. Its an interesting style, and right now I'm expirimenting to the full with it.

For those who wish to write, are writing, and have written.

Now what is it I have to say to you all? I would like to give a few pointers to all writers here. Not about what your write, what you put into it, characterization or details, we should know just how we plan to do what it is we have in mind.

What is it you feel when writing? What is the motivation? Wanting to create something unique? Like no other? Don't we all? Do you have a clear mental picture of what you are describing? Or are you simply winging your way through it? I don't want you to answer me, I want you to answer yourself. The human brain is a wonderful tool, and there is no limit to how it can be put to use. When you truly create, your not working for yourself, or the reader, you simply relish the fact that this is new, this is extrodinaly, and it, in itself, becomes real. Real to the writer, real to the reader, no matter the fact that it is just a jumble of words, its is real in your mind. Now how does it become real? It becomes real when it is the living embodiment of exactly the picture you carry inside of your head. Too many travel without this picture, too many fail to create. I am amongst them, writing with no clear visualization of my creation.

This falls over everything. The characters you create must be people, with a past, with a future, with hopes and failures; So that they are truly real on must invest the time, and care of creating the individual spirit, that makes any one story so fascinating. Most, attempt to have just a few such real people, and yet not even the writers themselves can answer questions asked without having to make something off from the top of their head. Most important about the people in your fictions is how they behave, if you wish to be lazy, just knowing exactly how someone would react in any given situation, dramatic or not, can make anything seem life like.

Time, from dawn till dusk you must be aware. Many a time, myself included, have the timelines been destroyed due to careless ness. Past, present, and future, when you sit, or lie, or stand, the writer msut be aware of the time and place of the situation, and the situation beyond. This will also help things become real.

Inegnuity. Humans have no lack of it. When someone enters your thread, and starts to read your story, they must fall into your world. Histories, characters, creatures, weather and temperament effects, it all must be created by the writer, and no other. This counts even if you are writing in a wolrd you did not create, you must put you view of the world as you see it, or you will fail to create the desired effect. Any writing contains this, for the writer must place himself in this world as the cool, casual observer, that understands every moment in time as it progresses.

Reactions. Feel what they feel, breathe what they breath, see what they see. After this you must change it all, change how you feel, breath, see, change it based upon the fact that you are someone else. Only after this can you have something truly react the way it would. Such a task requires quite an imagination, so Its quite a good excercise for the mind.

The rest you must imagine for yourself, knowing above, what would I say about what has not been said? IF you can answer all the questions left unanswered then you truly have mastered the art of writing.

For those who wish to read, are reading, and have read.

If you have read the above, you know how to read. And I don't mean recognize the words and put them into a understandable pattern. To read is to react, to place yourself alongside the man walking on the street in the middle of may, to become the one watching the dragon spurt fire into the air. You cannot 'read' something that is real, you must experience it. The writer and the reader must travel down the same path, the only variable being that they are two different individuals and will react somewhat differently.

And if you have experienced the story, the writers world, please get off your ass and make a reply. Though to truly creat and make something real, the writer can find enjoyment in that alone, but just like an amusement park, much more fun with other people that have ridden the ride you have created, no?

This is my opinion on the matter, and I hope for those who wish to read and write to take these points into consideration.

Calm, Cool, Collected, Changed

... You started a sentence with and.

Lol, just givin ya a hard time .

Well, I hope you refine that style, for it is my personal choice (obviously). I feel that this is creative writing in its true essence.

Hmm... I have to say i'm very disappointed by your decision to quit the pages of FanFic, albeit in a temporary capacity.

Piece of art like writing don't have to be planned to the n'th degree. Sometime a little basic planning is necessary other times it's good to write from the hip and see what develops. Most of the time it comes from a single word be it:
    love/passion/sex/money/violence/religion/justice/death

Your piece Sovereign Song is an excellent piece about the darker side of human nature and what it is capable of. You took you idea and it sent you down this passage that you have now written 5 chapters.

You can never "plan" ideas or emotion, it just happens.

I should know it can be very depressing to put a lot of effort into something to have people read and not pass comment. It doesn't inspire you to continue because you can't help but feel there is an ignorance there which good be avoided by typing a few simple words. But that's human nature and that's just PEOPLE.

We PM each other a lot and we have talked at great lengths about your work. All I can really add to my comments is, "I want to see more" because for a young lad you've hot a heck of a tallent that needs to be shared with all that read!

take a break, you written a very heavy piece of literature. But get your ass back to the chair soon mister... that's an ORDER!

I Dream Of Sleep

Well, i hope you have some luck with your writing in the future. You say that you never planned much (or so i understand), but that sometimes isnt a bad thing.

Some of my fan fics storylines just fall into place as im walking down the streets. I get the guidelines done, i know all the major scenes, all i need to do is flesh it out. This is were some of the unplanned stuff shines. Ive had some completely unplanned stuff be liked by my readers, and its all just based of ideas that suddenly come to me as im at the keyboard. I was also reading an article about the author who wrote 'Get Shorty' (i think that was the novel) and he says he never planned, he made the characters and let them solve there own way throught the story as he wrote.

And you said about people taking experiances from their real life's and translating it into their fictional worlds. No, at times its not creative, but it can flesh a character out. Its hard to write about emotions or feelings that you dont know or have any experiance with, so a little knowledge can really help bring things to life.

Im lucky that most people (espicially Boc, props to him!) reply to my posts and really help me get the next sections out, even if im sometimes really late.

(Ignore any bad spelling on my part in this post, i seem to be really off tonight with that)

La Chupacabra-1/2 Azn Ogre KaFKa's Avatar

i see. if thats your choice, there isnt much any of us can do to change it.

i just hope you manage to get yourself back together before too long. i can't carry the whole of fanworks by myself, ya know!

On 2004-08-11 16:48, KaFKa wrote:
    i see. if thats your choice, there isnt much any of us can do to change it.

i just hope you manage to get yourself back together before too long. i can't carry the whole of fanworks by myself, ya know!
    If more people started commenting and giving the writers here some support then maybe you wouldn't have to becausae they wouldn't stop writting!!!

Thats why most of the up and coming writers drop out, they are not satisfied with themselves and expect others to appease them

That is unless, your writing to please the readers, which is hard as hell to do

My current/aborted project had many more views and replies than many finished works! But since I don't write to please the readers whim,(unless I'm making money) what they say helps me, but does not truly have the swuay most would think.

If you truly love to write, and are not in it for fame, you can write full length pieces just for the sake of doing so. I've done this a few times, though not as often as I really should. But the thing is many are not all that serious about it, so theres no talking sense to one who doesn't care

As much as I hate to admit it, this thread might just help me put together the fic I'd been thinking about for the past 5 months. I don't know if I meantioned htis on the other board, but the main reason I never started is because I personally believe my writing style is shit, being overly aloof, my characters lacking in depth of personality and history, and my concentration drawn too much to detail of physical conditions. I've been meaning to, using your phrasing, "refine" this, but I never had enough confidence to start working on it in the first place.

Also, and I'll admit I hate to say this too, though I only read a chapter or two of your fic, I immediately realized it was infinitely better than anything I could produce at my both then and this current state of mind.

And as stupid as it might sound, these things should probably mean a lot coming from me of all people. =/

On 2004-08-11 18:32, Kadou wrote:
    As much as I hate to admit it, this thread might just help me put together the fic I'd been thinking about for the past 5 months. I don't know if I meantioned htis on the other board, but the main reason I never started is because I personally believe my writing style is shit, being overly aloof, my characters lacking in depth of personality and history, and my concentration drawn too much to detail of physical conditions. I've been meaning to, using your phrasing, "refine" this, but I never had enough confidence to start working on it in the first place.

Also, and I'll admit I hate to say this too, though I only read a chapter or two of your fic, I immediately realized it was infinitely better than anything I could produce at my both then and this current state of mind.

And as stupid as it might sound, these things should probably mean a lot coming from me of all people. =/
    Hah! Don't lie to yourself. My ficcie is by no means better than the potential you carry. You of all people should know this, and know the only thing that really holds you back is the time invested in such projects.

Even a veiled positive if a gift, coming from you in the context your referring to But whatever you do, and however you do it, just writing, just the fact that your writing, will seriously improve your skills. The difference forme being I need to get into the right, as you put it, state of mind before truly becoming more comitted to my writings. KNow that at least I'll be there if you follow through with you ideas and put them up for marring

though i regret to be informed of your leave, i respect your decision. you earned a long vacation sagasu.

your word to the wise should be something of sticky value, but thats just my opinion

"QUICK, CHANGE ZE CHANNEL!!"