Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

I thought it might be a good idea to make a sticky topic for the PSOBB Chinese Beta. It seems we have enough people on the site interested in it (or already playing it), so maybe we can get a few more registered and coordinate servers / ships / blocks as well.

To register for the beta, you will either need to know Simplified Chinese OR be able to read one of these guides, written in plain English (some even containing pictures! Heh):

Dark Heal's Guide (pictures included):
    http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.p...821&forum=1&30

Main PSOBB thread:
    http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.p...141&forum=1&24

Some of the guides to the Japanese version of PSOBB may be helpful as well (especially for error messages and some other miscellaneous problems). The Japanese PSOBB support thread can be found here:
    http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.p...63&forum=1&613

Okay, now for my extra brief mini guide to post-registration Chinese PSOBB:

Getting Started:
    Once you load the PSOBB Chinese Beta client, you will have a small window with some options. The top option launches the game. You may want to configure the graphics settings first (which is the middle option). For windowed mode, select the left checkbox underneath the screen resolution, the right checkbox enables V-Sync. I found DarK-SuN's visual guide very helpful here (it also covers in-game menus, which you'll need later in this guide:

http://pwp.netcabo.pt/DarK-SuN/PSOBB/

Once at the game's welcome menu, log in by selected the bottom option. This will enable the top option which allows you to connect to a server. Next you will have to select a server.

Server Selection:
    Once you're able to get all registered, there are some things you should know. First off, once you create a character on a server, you can only play that character ON THAT SERVER. If you're wanting to meet up with friends (or other english speaking PSO-Worlders), you may want to coordinate which server you create your characters on. If existing Chinese Beta PSOBB players want some company, please post which server you are on (by giving it's position from the top of the list... mine is 3rd server from the top for example). A screenshot of the server name might be helpful as well in case the order changes. If we have enough people on one server, we can just make it the "official" PSOW server so that everyone has a good chance of finding other English speaking players.

Current "Official" PSOW Server: Northern (pic)
    Current "Official" PSOW Ship&Block: Ship 5, Block 5
    Recommended Game Names / Password: PSOW# / PSOW
    (example: Game = PSOW1 / Password = PSOW)

Patching, Etc.
    After selecting a server it will attempt to connect to the patch server, and will probably download a patch if it's your first time playing. A box of text should pop up at the top and then another at the bottom. After the 2nd box appears, you should be able to continue by pressing enter. If you downloaded a patch, the game will need to restart. After getting past the patch screen, you will get a connecting screen, just one line of Chinese text with a big Matrix-style backdrop This will probably take some time to connect, but afterwards it will bring you to your character selection screen (if successful). There will be 4-slots, all empty. Select one and create your character (it's fairly easy to figure out). After creating your character, select it and hit enter, then choose the first option to log in. Here you will select your ship and block. Once in the lobby you will probably need to speak with one of the NPCs at the desk to, I'm assuming, get your hunter's license and begin your game. You also speak to the NPCs to join or create a game (when creating your game, you only need to enter a name in the first line, the 2nd line is for a password if you want one).

Playing the Game:
    Obviously, the game is in Chinese. If you can't read Chinese, you may have some trouble. However, if you are familiar at all with the PSO user interface and options, you should be able to figure the menus out without too much trouble. Most of the menus are assigned F-keys for quick access (for example, I believe F2 brings up your inventory for quick weapon and armor swapping). The default controls use the WSAD keys for movement and the arrow keys for your quick actions (attacks, heals, etc.). Holding control brings up your secondary quick bar (the 4-slot one in the bottom right, not the big one), and pressing CTRL + ArrowUp will turn your camera to face the same direction as your character. If you have a Gamepad, I highly recommend using it, it makes things MUCH easier. The above visual guide can help with setting one up.

Everything Else:
    Okay, I told you this was going to be brief... Basically, you can figure out a lot of things by using simple trial and error. It will take some getting used to, but after some time it's not too bad at all.

Hopefully we can get people on the same server/ship/block, which will make things easier and allow us to help each other out. Feel free to post any questions here and add any hints that might be helpful!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tomeeboy on 2005-01-28 13:20 ]</font>

Thanks a lot for all the information. I'm considering gathering all the information I have found all over and putting it on a site in a step by step format, but we'll see. This works just fine, so I'd be doing it for me more than for anyone else :P

Anyway, I'm on, everything worked out in the end, but for some reason I can't get onto servers 1 and 3. I get a 916 error. Any idea what that is? Server 2 lets me on every time, so that's where I'll be going for now. Didn't try servers 4 to 6. Shame they won't let you make Ep. 2 games at the moment. Maybe it'll be unlocked in the next update.

Getting people together on one ship seems pretty much essential if we're to get any fun out of this, so pipe up!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Calx on 2005-01-27 21:50 ]</font>

On 2005-01-27 21:43, Calx wrote:

Anyway, I'm on, everything worked out in the end, but for some reason I can't get onto servers 1 and 2. I get a 916 error. Any idea what that is?
    Well, error 916 is... I'm not sure. We have no record of it. Can you take a screenshot of it? I'm going to guess and say that server 1 and 2 are having errors or matinence, while 3 is still open.

And remember, we have a support thread.
    http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.p...63&forum=1&613

Also, I believe that 3-3-3 should be the PSO World ship for the beta. We'll soon be getting our own Blue Burst!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Getintothegame on 2005-01-27 21:47 ]</font>

Is what? It's not in that faq and I'm not going through 41 pages to find it :P

Edit. Yeah, I can take one, but you're probably right about maintenance. I'll take a shot if it's still doing it tomorrow.

P.S. It was servers 1 and 3 that aren't working, while 2 is working. My bad.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Calx on 2005-01-27 21:52 ]</font>

On 2005-01-27 21:47, Calx wrote:
    Is what? It's not in that faq and I'm not going through 41 pages to find it
    I should update that thing, but I need Arislan's permission. Soon we'll be having many more people go on Blue Burst, so an update shouldn't be too hard to do.

Edit: Oh, thanks for getting the screencap, if you go on whenever, just take one, since we've never seen 916.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Getintothegame on 2005-01-27 21:51 ]</font>

I just went on and got it:

I can get this and other stuff translated, but not until a week from now.

By the way, if people are worried about PC specs, I can tell you that I manage to run it on an Athlon 600 with a mighty TNT2 Ultra. It's not fast, but it's definitely playable.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Calx on 2005-01-27 22:17 ]</font>

Thanks a lot. I'll try getting it translated now... hope NAVi doesn't mind.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Getintothegame on 2005-01-27 22:18 ]</font>

"Server busy
    Please connect again later"

here is a screenshot of the server list.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...serverlist.jpg

I suggest the PSOW server be at Northern because its closest to US and my characters are on it.
    If you guys indeed decide to make a fixed server to play on, I'll update the pic.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dark_Heal_v2 on 2005-01-27 23:02 ]</font>

Aha. Thank you.

Sounds good to me, as we just have to pick one really. I don't want to get too much into it and then find I'm isolated on a server. I'll create a character there tomorrow unless people think of a reason to pick a different one.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Calx on 2005-01-27 23:27 ]</font>

FOr PSO, i reccomend remapping your keys to directions to arrows and buttons to wasd, and f for your camera center.