Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I decided to give the IE 7 Beta 2 a try. Now, I am an avid Firefox user, one of those people who try to get people off IE and onto Firefox, because compared to IE 6, Firefox is the better browser. However, I think now, even though I still prefer Firefox, IE is starting to come back into the running.

First things first, the interface. The new interface in IE 7 is very sleek. It cleans up a lot of the clutter, while keeping the functionality there. Here's a screen shot on my computer.

As you can see, they cleaned it up a bit. It has a bit of a Firefox look to it now, although there are a few notible differences and add-ons. First thing I noticed was the lack of the File/Edit etc etc. Now, you can bring that back, however its not needed. The tools button there has everything to configure. It makes it fairly easier to change settings. It seems they wanted to group things together a bit more. The page button allows you to open windows, and do things that would normally be spread around a bit. The printer icon there allows quick printing and preview, and the tools, as mentioned, allows you to enable certain settings, open up the options, and change other things as well. Finally, the home button, which I don't see much a point to, gives you quick access to mess with home page settings. They added the search bar in the corner (defaults to MSN but I changed it to Google) and homepage is MSN by default as well. Finally, at the buttom it has the security lock (on https sites), and a few other things like IE 6. The new one is a Zoom changer, which lets you change the zoom on a page. The nice thing about this new interface overall, is it leaves more room for pages to be displayed while keeping functionality. That I can live with!

As for the tabbed browsing, it works fairly well. The options to use all tabs, and when you want tabs to open (clicked links that would normally pop up new windows, or if you get a regular pop up if you want a tab or pop up, etc) which is something that I needed the Tabbed Browser Extention to do in Firefox. The button to create new tabs is to the right of your most recent opened tabbed, and will open up a tab to an about:tabs page which explains a few things. You might be able to configure it to load multiple or different homepages, but I haven't messed with anything like that. To the left of the tabbed bar you have two buttons, one to open up and organize favorites, and the other will either add a page to favorites or subscribe to RSS feed, depending. Overall, it works like tabbed browsing, and it does it well. About time, Microsoft.

They embedded RSS feed support into the browser now. It automatically will update feeds and allow them to be used in other programs and viewed. I don't know how it works exactly, since I don't really deal with RSS feeds, but its there for those of you that do.

It comes with some new tools. Windows Defender, which checks for malicious programs on your PC. It updated and scanned quickly, but as for its reliability I cant say since it didn't find anything. IE 7 also has an embedded pop-up blocker, which can be configured to varying security levels, and finally a "phishing filter" which will verify if a site you are at is legitimately the site it says it is. Nice for people who might get scammed by those fake eBay or Paypal sites but for most of us, it can be turned off to only be used manually (because I dont want URLs I visit going to Microsoft.)

Now, a few things that it could've done better on. Frankly, why doesn it have a download manager? Firefox does. It might not work that great, but its something and still more reliable then IE's downloading methods. The pop up blocker doesn't seem to work as well as Firefoxs, but I haven't done any long and extensive tests on it. Also, it might be too early to say, but I still don't know if I trust IE in terms of security. I'm sure its better, but IE is still the most used browser on the net, thus the most open to security holes. It also has no option to theme settings, and although it supports add-ons, its ntohing compared to the Firefox extentions.

Overall? Nice job Microsoft. You have a browser that I can at least stand by and not dispise with a passion. I actually like quite a few things about the new IE. Will I switch over from Firefox? I don't think so, but at least those who insist on using IE now have a browser that doesn't feel like it belongs back in 1997. The new interface is nice, the new features feel well implimented, and it seems to work pretty fast.

I give it a 4/5.

Comment and post your thoughts! You can download it @ http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/default.mspx

IE7 is a step in the right direction. I first tried it last year when I experimented with Windows Vista and I have had it running on a test machine for quite some time now. The only thing I don't care for is the FTP funtionality. I still am unable to use simple FTP to upload a file to some webspace I have.

IE7 is far superior to the horrors of IE6, for sure. I went ahead and downloaded it, just to purge IE6 from my system. I tried it out a bit, and it's kinda cool, but I still prefer Firefox.

you get roughly the same look (the lack of "File, Edit..." and Bookmark Toolbar) by using Firefox and simply hitting F11. and i only use Ctrl+P and other hotkeys for important functions, so cutesy icons at corners mean nothing to me. but, hey, it's like it's always been said: "Apple's yesterday is Microsoft's tomorrow" except you can swap Apple for Mozilla. actually, you can pretty much substitute any company for Apple in that statement.

but, if people like it, who am I to care. Tomb Raider sequels sold millions, so I've heard...
    "Do you still think I'm scrumptious?" -- Rimururu, Samurai Showdown 4

IE = meh.

Browsers best to worst: Opera > Firefox > IE

But~ since only Firefox has Adblock, it beats all.

Actually the Netscape browser is pretty nice also. In fact, Firefox uses Netscapes Gecko Rendering engine to display pages. Netscape has a similar look and feel to Firefox and the only thing Firefox has an advantage in is plugins.

Netscape Browser 8.1

BTW has anyone else tried the new Windows Mail (the new version of Outlook Express)? So far I don't notice any real advances. Hopefully M$ will continue to work on more features and enhanced capabilities.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2006-04-28 22:09 ]</font>

Neat. I guess if I'd have to switch to IE for something, I don't have to feel like I'm using a complete noob of a web browser.

Thats mostly like a copy of firefox features, but i will keep with firefox, why?? because they did it first and the IE team had all the time to do it right, and why they didnt because they didnt care until firefox came out

I am sure of the mozilla team, they will do something new to stay ahead of IE7, if they browser its ahead of IE6, they sure will be ahead again of IE7

The only problem I have with the beta of IE7, is that when you're in fullscreen mode, if you haven't opened up the favorites list before putting it in fullscreen mode, the button doesn't work correctly.

...But that's it.

ProTip: To damage your credibility, simply call any of the Phantasy Star games "massively-multiplayer."

REJJII of the Azure Flame

I hope it doesn't do that thing where it auto-downloads cookies/files/viruses without your permission. The old IE did that and it pissed me off. I would notice that the internet was running slower than usual then I'd look at the modem (I have 28k internet) and it would show that it was downloading something, so I'd click the stop button, still downloading, close the window, still downloading, SHIT, pull the plug and turn off the modem.