So, our university held a general assembly to discuss the situation about our provincial government cutting up on student financial aid. To make a long story short, they turned most of the scholarships into simple loans, and the students were angry about it.

So, we held the assembly. Someone motions for a 24-hour strike, as expected. Someone else seconds the motion, so the debate opens. Most of those who go to the mic are for the strike.

This is where things become retarded.

HE DISAGREES OMGWTFLOLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!
    The first person to speak against the strike gets little to no attention. People in the auditorium begin chattering and the assembly president has to call everyone back to order. A little later, another person speaks against the strike, and some students literally shout at him. The president has to get everyone back in order and adds "I'd like to recall that this man has the right to voice his opinion like everyone else."

I LOSE, SO I'LL ACT LIKE A LOSER!
    We proceed to vote. Those who vote for the strike?... Too many students raise their hands, so the president decides instead to start with those against to make counting easier. So, those who vote against the strike?... At this point someone in the audience screams out "DOWN WITH THE STRIKE!!!" Yeah, real mature you chicken shit. I expected university students to have more dignity, but you've just made me remember you fucking idiots can each enter a bathroom stall and leave without even flushing.

IT DOESN'T AFFECT YOU... SO STOP IT!
    After listening to the debate, I happened to vote in favor of the strike. When my mom learns of that, it's the outrage. According to her, if I don't have a scholarship, nor am I taking a government study loan, I should vote against the strike. Because it doesn't concern me and if they strike, I lose a so-called precious day of school. Thanks for the tip mom. Let me also recall the time you told me to vote for the Liberal Party for no other reason than because you happen to vote for the Liberal Party, because your husband voted for the fucking Liberal Party. For once I actually get to listen to some politics through and through, let me make my fucking vote in peace.

By the way, I bet 100$ that some fuckhead will reply to my thread with some insult against American liberals or conservatives, spark a flamewar that has nothing to do with what I've spoken of, and get the thread locked because it went off-topic and people just kept insulting each other. If you do that, I'll find a way to get you banned. Just a friendly reminder.
    "Sword logic? That's cute."

OMG U SUK LOLZ. LIBERA THINGY SUK THING LOLZ

Mop mentality, anyone?
    If you were to yell "Down with strike" ... really, that is not different from voting against it, and less constructive. *shakes head*

edit: I changed my mind about laziness.
    I hate it when people say "why are you so worked up in something that doesn't concern you?" For things like as simple as giving up a seat. You are sitting, you give up your seat for someone who seem to need it, OMG what is wrong with you.

Thing is, you really never know when your life is going to be affected by some issues and if everyone thinks only in terms of "oh, it doesn't concern me" ... your life might very well depend on that one vote at some point. Hopefully it will never happen, but hey, you never know. It might be karma back to you.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: navinator on 2005-03-10 17:11 ]</font>

Customary AWESOME Title Solstis's Avatar

On 2005-03-10 17:06, navinator wrote:

Mop mentality, anyone?
    If you were to yell "Down with strike" ... really, that is not different from voting against it, and less constructive. *shakes head*
    Mop mentallity is pretty bad, but mob is even worse.

See: Why No One Has A Truly Democratic Form of Government.

On 2005-03-10 17:10, Solstis wrote:
    On 2005-03-10 17:06, navinator wrote:

Mop mentality, anyone?
    Mop mentallity is pretty bad, but mob is even worse.

See: Why No One Has A Truly Democratic Form of Government.
    I blame Frink.
    Well. Okay fine, I am sick. Go easy on me will ya?

Yeah, things like that piss me off, too. Everytime you try to disagree with the majority, they all ambush you like their lives are at stake.