Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Well, I was not too long ago considering finally upgrading my DC PSO to version 2 now that the price has come down, but if this is permanent, there's no way in hell I'm paying cash out of my own pocket for this now.

I'm astonished nobody's mentioned it yet, but Sega recently saw fit to cut off U.S. servers access to the rest of the world on the Dreamcast PSO. I've confirmed that it affects both ver.1 and ver.2 users, and I can only guess that Euro servers have been severed off from Japan as well.

I would like to believe that this is only temporary, but not only have I heard no mention of it from Sega on their PSO site or on the "Information" booth in the actual game (as though they ever used it), but, well, it only makes sense. Recently, countless Japanese players have been playing in the U.S. instead of their home servers, and not because they wanted to play with U.S. players. U.S. and European players have been doing the same to Japan's and eachother's regional servers. I certainly never saw large groups of French and Spanish players hanging out in major Japanese blocks a year ago, that's for sure. All this overseas activity costs Sega money, and I believe that's why they wanted to cut it off completely.

I don't know about you guys, but I am severely pissed. When I was most into PSO, early last year, the biggest reason I had to go online was to meet and play with my Japanese friends. It was a challenge attempting to communicate, but it was a unique experience in bridging the cultural gap and the language barrier through use of the word select and our knowledge of eachother's languages. I learned more about Japanese, and just before they cut off access to the JPN network I tested what I'd learned from the year of Japanese classes I just completed by playing a successful game with a JPN player who didn't speak any English, without having to resort to the Word Select more than about 10% of the time.

And yet, now I'm not even sure I can MAIL that person anymore. I'm still searching my Guild Card list in the hopes that I'll be able to at least contact the remaining Japanese people I know who still come on, even though I won't be able to play with them. ;P There are also a couple of people in England whom I know I won't be able to meet online anymore. For a good 1/3rd of my contact list, I may have no way to contact them ever again even if they are online.

What's more, the word select is almost completely worthless now. One of the major selling points of the original version of the game has been completely abandoned. Back in my heyday, one of my best memories I had was of a non-passworded game played on a European server, where throughout the course of the existance of the team, one player of each major language setting joined the game and played for awhile. Seven players total, and among us there were something like 5 different languages, and yet we had a great time. I was translating German into simple English for a Japanese person, at one point. That was the reason I loved playing on European servers the most, where people of every language would hang out. You don't get that kind of exposure in America.

I may not pay for the service I'm getting now, but I am certain that if I were, I would very likely refuse to spend my hard-earned money on it anymore. I may get the Gamecube version of PSO after all, but after this, my faith in Sega to regulate a playable online environment has been shaken once again. I would not buy the GC version at all if I had confirmation that Sega would be likely to do this again during my span of participation in their online community. If any of you with a Dreamcast PSO ver.2 are equally angry about this attempt by Sega to cut bandwidth, I encourage you to write them and tell them you may discontinue your online use of the game as a result of their choice. I want do so myself, but my complaint is not worth as much as a ver.1 user. Sega may not get enough money from DC PSO game sales to be worth upholding this selling point, but they still get a steady no-strings-attached flow of cash from its remaining users, who opt to continue paying the price of playing online.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Suenia on 2002-07-21 02:41 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Suenia on 2002-08-02 11:13 ]</font>

While irritating, its not unexpected. Please take this objectivly, but the Japanese are, by culture, racists. To explain.. The Japanese culture is driven to support only the Japanese. Did you know that less than 3 years ago an American distributer of Rice was arrested for attempting to sell foriegn rice in Japan? Basically they have a 'we protect our own' mentality, and I fully support this. If America took this standpoint, we could take care of the starving people on OUR streets, and not some other country.

But aside from that, it's possible that enough Japanese players had a bad experiance with American players that Sega Corp decided to cut the lines between them. And its also possible that they just removed the routers to save bandwith for a product they are not getting anymore income from. All speculation mind you.
    Playing as Keahi on Phantasy Star Portable 2 - US Version.

Hmm, I wasn't expecting to a get a reply so quickly. ^_^

Please pardon my rantiness tonight. When you add up the price of keyboard, memory cards, game, etc., not to mention the possibility of getting the Gamecube version, it's nothing to sneeze at, so I tend to get huffy. I realize that something like this happening is an eventual inevitability, since nobody plays online games forever, but you hope to get what you're promised even if it becomes less desirable over time.

I've been studying Japan for about a year now, and there's a LOT I don't know... but what you're saying strikes me as the sort of thing they'd called "nationalist" as opposed to "racist," whether its true or not... You're right; the average working man in Japan is probably motivated by the idea that he is benefitting his company and his country, so what you say seems quite possible... I won't know how racist Japan is until I visit the country, but I get a lot of conflicting impressions about their attitude towards outsiders in the U.S. Do they like us or not?... I guess it's a mixed bag...

I wouldn't be surprised if there were people writing in and complaining about the U.S. players. However... it sure is hyppocritical, to sell a game as worldwide and then submit to such complaints. Besides which, I've seen just as many lame Japanese players out there as lame American ones. And if so many are complaining, why do they play on U.S. ships? I really don't know... it doesn't make any sense....

So... Any speculations are welcome, because I certainly have no clue myself. : Even if few people care what happens, it really is vexing to not know what the heck is going on.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Suenia on 2002-07-21 02:59 ]</font>

Well from what I have heard from word of mouth from many friends IN Japan currently is this...

Your more than welcome to visit Japan, just don't stay and pollute the bloodlines.

If your Black, don't go.... I find this very very funny because they love to dress like American Gansta Rap stars.

Do remember that Japan, in whole, is a tiny ass island, and they have enough problems with the massive population. As stated in history, the main reason they entered into wars outside the country was for expansionism.
    Playing as Keahi on Phantasy Star Portable 2 - US Version.

Well, us EU can goto any other ship, US and JP. Its just US thats had the links taken away...

This is only really affecting US players, when they first sign in JP and EU players can pick any ship, but as soon as they go onto the US ship they are stuck and have to disconnect and log back on if they want to pick a different ship.

The Godfather

I haven't played in half a year, but from what I remember, the US servers had this problem (albeit temporarily) a lot.

Don't suppose it'll make you feel much better, but when I decided to go into the US ship (from the EU servers) and became stuck, I couldn't search for people on the EU or JP servers using guild cards. But when I disconnected and rejoined the EU / JP servers, I could search and find them again. In other words, you won't be able to search for people on EU / JP ships while you're stuck on the US ship.

Aussie RAcast Battler

Hang on, what's happening? Can US people not select JP or EU ships at all, even from the login screen?

On 2002-07-21 06:33, Defend wrote:
    Hang on, what's happening? Can US people not select JP or EU ships at all, even from the login screen?
    No they can't Defend, but jp and EU people can from the log on screen unless they choose to goto a US ship then they become stuck untill they d/c and relogon

No need to panic, people; something similar to this has happened before.

That said, I'll be really pissed off if this is premanent since I recently lost my s-rank needle thanks to an ob lilly and the server d/cing me.

Bah, it's not like there are many US players on anyway. Too many damn cheap v1 people on Miranda 07