Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Old Man

I thought that might get your attention.

I copied your wonderful guides to obtaining (insert item) and such and have always been duly impressed with your combined knowledge on the relative value of diverse hunter, ranger and force weapons/items/units and such so I thought, why not: SPECIAL REQUEST!!!

Wrap all those various threads on best this and why that into one complete guide for all of us.

So, I'm asking for the Tycho and Kefka Guide to What's Worth Getting.

I have a (insert character here) in (insert section id here) and want to know what's the best (insert item/weapon/unit etc.) here I should pursue and have a realistic chance of actually obtaining.

What do you think?

I would be more than happy to contribute, of course, but 99% of the time find my own opinions are usually eclipsed by your knowledge of the game.

I started thinking about this when I was looking at one of Lain2k3's posts about force weapons and all the repetive posts about best this and best that. Of course, there is our own wonderfully inaccurate BEST guide that sorely needs to be updated.

It may be one of the most useful guides on PSOW.

Sitka, I think this is a good idea, but I think it would run into some problems.

There are certain members on this board that have very strong opinions on what weapons a particular class should be using. In addition, these members have certain ideas about what is considered to be "findable".

Also, you have to consider that what is "best" changes from person to person. One person may prefer Partisans to Swords, while another thinks the other way.

While building the guide that you have in mind would be possible, I think there would be a large flame war before it is done. That is one of the reasons why you've only seen a "Where best to find Item X" threads.

alright.
    any flaming, flamebaiting and/or insultive behaviour will result in full solid warnings for any person involved.

and now lets see what this thread will turn out to be.
    「愛と空の女王様」を言でもいい。 We are Heroes. This is what we do!

on the weapon side, i've been working on the list of the top weps..
    maybe that can tie in with this =)

from others' 'research', this top wep chart is strictly about the highest grinded atp's along with given 'natural' ata

fo weapons are based on bonus, thus not absolute

more work is on the way.. =)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dhylec on 2005-04-20 18:08 ]</font>
    Blink & you might miss it! ;3

Oh, keep sig at 600x180 px & 49KB, yah?

Old Man

Wonderful Dyhlec,

That's kind of what I had in mind. Your chart is beautiful - bravo!!!

Regardless of whether you prefer twin sabers, paired swords, katanas, partisans, guns, rods or whatever, what are some of the top ones in their class for the various characters, which one is best for ATP/ACC for each class, why do some look great and some just look awful and what is the realistic chance of obtaining one.

We had a great discussion some time ago regarding the relative value of pursuing safety heart (invisible guard) versus standstill shield versus Rico's Earrings and that discussion was invaluable to me in shaping realistic pursuit goals.

I know what Ryna is suggesting because we all do have different opinions and it all too often resorts to a war of words, but hopefully rena-ko's warning will nip that before it starts.

I specifically invited Tycho and Kef because 1) they have already contributed so much in this area through their guides and their posts and 2) personally, I tend to value/respect their opinions above most others.

So, sorry for the challenge, but it would certainly be of great value to me and many of the folks I play with on PSO.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sitka on 2005-04-20 18:22 ]</font>

The problem with this guide is if you, as established users, start telling people what IS the best item to get, they won't have a chance to decide for themselves.

The architecture of the board does not need to be changed. If other players want to debate and discuss the topics, without the authority of established players who want to pontificate on every matter in the game, then let them. Don't cut short their growth potential by telling them what to hunt. You were allowed to go through the same process, so why rush it for them?

Plus, it would really be impossible to decide the "best" of every weapon, since there are varying factors. So if you guys go and say "This is the best sword" or "This is the best saber" without allowing other players to weigh to pros and cons, you may prevent them from finding what is the best for them.

Perhaps a guide would be a good idea, but there should be a disclaimer that there are many factors in choosing a weapon.

Best Damn Force in the Universe

The beauty of this game is that you can tailor your character to your style of play. Me personally, I hate any type of mechgun weapon. My favorite melee weapon that is not an s-rank is the 2084 Flowen's sword. My favorite force weapon is the Caduceus. Anyway, here is my guide to what I think is best for a force.

FOnewm (melee): S-rank twin or s-rank scythe / S-rank gun, I do not think this class should be going melee at all. I have only seen one player that plays a melee FOnewn right. Yup, Green Gream that is you! However, you are better off using my setup for magic.

FOnewm (magic): Psychowand or Magical Piece, A true force player will learn how to use both the gi and ra spells to there best advantage. When I do either or, I don't mix between gi and ra spells because you want the full boost of damage across the board. This is the way a FOnewn should be played. My force, Curaklin, pound for pound is the force that you want in a room nuking everything. Sure you don't get the support range, but you learn how to deal with it.

FOnewearl (melee): lol I don't think so!

FOnewearl (magic): Summit Moon (best) or psychowand / magical piece, Here is where is gets tricky. Your simple spells are your big damage spells, however, they are limited in what you can hit. As for area effect, use the same guidelines that I use for my Fonewm. Do not mix ra and gi when using the appropriate weapon.

FOmar (melee): S-rank twin or S-rank scythe / S-rank J-cutter or S-rank slicer.

FOmar (magic): Magical piece, You might as well make the best use out of the gi boost.

FOmarl (melee): S-rank twin or s-rank scythe / S-rank J-cutter or S-rank slicer.

FOmarl (magic): Psychowand / magical piece, use the same guidelines that I use for my Fonewm. Do not mix ra and gi when using the appropriate weapon.

It should be noted that all of my s-ranks have spirit for a special.

heh, I agree with RedSchwar.

*commits suicide*

But I don't think the point Sitka made was to tell people which weapon is the best, but just to indicate them what's worth getting (gimme a big 'duh').

I mean, take an ID, a class, and note down ANY item worth getting, whether you consider it the best, good or average.

For instance, you would still list Partisan of Lightning for Skyly, despite the fact that it gets two easier and way more powerful HU-only Double Sabers: Demolition Comet and Meteor Cudgel.

But the idea that only Tycho and I do this is the flaw, that could make a nifty floating sticky if everyone had an input, or just comments on the work done.

For instance, I'd be inclined to listen to Skorpius' comments, since we disagree on about 90% of PSO matters. I'd make sure I hit a wider audience.
    Now gib cash !!! dammit !!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kef on 2005-04-20 19:04 ]</font>

I have a guide on what's worth getting?

Hmm... I think it would be easiest to make some sort of improved, way more complicated version of what weapons would be 'most useful' in just any way for any class, and have people use the other guide to find how to get rares they like, rather than listing recommended rares to hunt for all class ID combinations, keeping into consideration some people would prefer to just hunt for a 10-star weapon (with hit?), while other people would only want the best weapons available.
    Also, I think it's a bad idea to make a guide on what rares are stylish, since it's totally subjective, and items that would look bad on one character, could look good on another, for any possible reason. Download all weapon pictures for that, just ask for the zip. >_<;
    For anyone that's interested in knowing what low-requirements weapons are good, go ask Skorp about that. He knows a lot about it. I don't have much knowledge about the game at all although I've started to remember some droprates, I just compiled some documents by learning how to use existing guides. xP

But.. making a list of all rares that could for some class be 'best' in some way (considering all useful specials, hit percentage, and respecting the choices of whether or not to use Charge/Berserk/Spirit) and are thus worth trying to obtain, seems like an interesting challenge to me. ^ ^;

In fact, to be honest I had kind of starting on something like that already.. But I got stuck pretty soon. I would like to figure out if the Demon's special is reducable (should we use S-ranks or Vulcans with hit for this?), Kef wasn't sure either, because it might suffer from an ATA reduction. To test it, I wanted to get an S-rank Vulcan with the Demon's special (I could get that, no problem), and a Vulcan with Demon's. To equal out the ATA difference between Vulcans and S-rank Mechguns, the Vulcans should preferably have 8 on Hit percentage. >_<;
    So um, Kef, go bother VioletSkye please? I wanna know. xP

EDIT:

@Kef: Not necessarily. People don't need a guide to choose their own style, but why not list multiple weapons of each weapon type for each class? For reducable specials recommend either S-ranks, or unreduced versions, etc. Why just consider ATP? Everyone could find out that for non-Charge-ish damage BKB is the strongest one-target HU weapon, TJ the strongest one for crowds. >_>;

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tycho on 2005-04-20 19:19 ]</font>

Non-rare weapons and S-Ranks are right out, this is about IDs, not weapons x_X