Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Chapter 5: The Wheel Turns

Despite their name the Untouched Lands were inhabited by people; however, the strict environmental laws placed enacted to maintain the forests of the land required its inhabitants to adapt their homes to coexist with the land. Other than that, people live peaceful lives away from the crime and corruption of the city.

Two men were mediating under the shade of a large oak tree. The first one, Sef, was concentrated on melee combat, but was also proficient mana usage due to the lessons Ness taught him. His primary fighting style centered around the use of his Yamatos. The second man, GreyPhantasm (referred to as Grey from now on), was almost completely dependent on mana in combat. While it was also a weakness, his abilities made him a formidable adversary. When he needed to use weapons, he whipped out his power Soul Eater.

The two of them had been sitting there for two hours and suddenly Sef stood up.

"What is it?" asked Grey.

"I've found him," replied Sef.

"The third point?"

"Yes, he recently just caused a disturbance in the flow of mana. He's in the Oberon sector, but I don't know how long he's going to be there."

"Then I guess we will have to leave immediately!"

Grey stood up and the two men leaped up into the air.

In another region of the Untouched Lands stood a small hill with a door on its east side. This door led to Tai's underground home. Despite their external appearance, the homes in the Untouched Lands were pretty advanced. Tai's home had a fusion reactor that served as a power supply and a trash incinerator. Tai decorated his home several expensive items, but his most valuable treasure was his wife. The only problem was that they couldn't have a kid. They tried several times, but with no success.

"Maybe we should head back to city, Tai," suggested his wife. "I'm sure they can find out what exactly is wrong with us."

"Perhaps you're right, but we can discuss it later," he replied. "Right now, I need some fresh air."

Tai opened his door to find a little girl standing there. She was holding a small basket of flowers and looked at him with empty blue eyes.

"Well hello there," said Tai.

The girl said nothing, but handed him a datapad. Tai read the small note on the datapad:

Tai, it's been awhile since I've asked for a favor and I'm sorry to do this to you on such notice, but I don't have a choice.

You must protect this girl no matter what because she is the key to saving our dying star. If he dies, than the Void has won. Fortunately, they don't know she exists yet so there is still hope.

I know this is a lot to ask of you, but because of my connections keeping her with me would only put her in danger. Thanks in advance.

My regards,
    -Ness

Tai stood their motionless for awhile. Then he let the girl inside and took her by the hand. "Hey, honey!" he shouted. "I have a surprise for you!"

The few hours of daylight had passed for Oberon, and now it was time for yet another long night. On the roof of one of the many rundown buildings in Oberon Level 2 stood a figure covered in head to toe in what seemed to be a mix between combat armor and rags. His face was completely covered in rags, except for the red goggles on his eyes.

"How’s the search going?" asked a voice on the man's radio.

"Well, she's definitely invisible," he replied.

"It's time to give those goggles a test."

The man activated the goggles and everything became red, except for the rats and other stray animals that roamed the streets--they were white. However, one figure in particularly caught his eye--he figure of a woman running through one of the alleys.

"How are the thermal vision goggles working out?"

"Just fine, I've found the target!"

The man leaped off the roof and hit the ground running. Even though she was already a mile ahead of him, he caught up to her in under a minute. He hit her with the back of his arm from behind, sending her into the wall. He grabbed her by the throat and lifted her up into the air.

"Do you have any idea what you have stolen?" he said angrily.

"Some pills that allow you to become invisible," she replied in a calm tone.

"Who hired you?"

"I work for no one. I'm just a girl looking out for number one."

The man tightened his grip around her neck. "Who hired you?!"

The woman started to panic. "A woman by the name of Lisa Redart!" she shouted. She screamed as she felt herself punctured with a sharp object.

"Don't worry, it's just a counter agent," said the man. "It will make you become visible again."

Her face become visible again and it was quite red. He thought it was because he had her bey the throat, but once her whole body became visible he saw why. She was completely nude. Under the rags that covered his face, he was turning red, too.

"So you figured you just pop a pill and go streaking, huh?" he asked. Without giving her a chance to reply, he knocked her out with a quick strike to the collar bone. He loaded her onto his shoulder and turned on his radio.

"This is Agent Panda reporting," he said. "I got her."

Ooh...I'm a bad guy. I hope I don't end up dying later. *coughjoinHriggandAlloscough*

Chapter 6: Ghost in a Shell

The girl opened her eyes and realized she was encased in a container full of liquid. She squirmed furiously in a desperate attempt to escape, until she realized she could still breathe--then she calmed down. She looked down and realized she was now wearing clothes--it was just a bikini, but it was still better than being nude.

She tried to look around, but because he was in liquid everything was blurry; however, she did manage to make out a white object moving toward her. It moved to what looked like some kind of console on the right side of the room. She couldn't make out what it was doing, but a few small hole in the bottom of her tank opened up and the liquid slowly started to drain out. After a few minute the liquid was completely gone and she could clearly see the figure. He was a man with long, spike blonde hair wearing a white lab coat. One of his arms was normal, but the other one was large and robotic. He smiled and waved at her with his normal arm. She smiled back and gave him the finger.

"You know," he said, "these things aren't sound proof. You could have just told me you were uncomfortable."

"Tell you?" she shrieked. "How the hell can I fucking tell you I'm uncomfortable when I'm unconscious?!"

"Hey Panda, she's a nice catch, but I don't like her mouth."

She turned to see who the white-coated man was talking to and she saw the rag-covered man who caught her.

"Should I throw her into the fusion reactor like I did all the other ones?" asked Panda.

Her eyes widened and she started shaking.

The white-coated man and Panda look at her and laughed.

"We were just playing with you," he said.

Her fear quickly turned to anger. "Let me out of here this fucking instant so I can fry your blonde ass!" she screamed and gave him the finger again.

"That doesn't give me much motivation to let you out," he responded. "Do you always swear this much?"

She calmed down a bit and said, "Only when I'm angry. Now please let me out of here."

The white-coated man pressed a button on the console next to her tank and the glass lifted. Immediately she leaped toward him and managed to wrap her hands around his neck. Her victory was sort lived, however, because she had forgotten about his large, robotic arm and felt its cold metal around her waist. "I could snap you in half right now if I wanted to!" he said in a compressed, but angry, voice. She immediately let go of his throat and he put her down. "I have to commend you, though, you have the spirit of a lion," he said. "Who are you anyway?"

"PD," she replied, too scared to lie.

"Well PD," said the man. "My name is Kuda and this place is known as Kuda Labs. Here, put this on."

He tossed her a red robe and she immediately put it on. "Now come with me," he ordered her. She was thinking about disobeying, but the she noticed Panda following close behind her. He led her out the door into a hall made almost completely of beige metal, computer consoles, and various other things she couldn't identify. Kuda stopped a large metal door and typed in a series of numbers on the keypad next to it. The door opened into a dark green with various weapons, androids, and computers covering the walls. One object in particular caught her interest, a white, one piece bathing suit being displayed in a glass tank similar to the one she just got out of.

"What this thing with you and women's swimwear" asked PD.

"For one thing, that's not a swimsuit," he said. "It's made out of a light fabric that has been enforced with carbon nanotubes and nanobots. That fabric is stronger than any metal on the market and the nanobots allow the suit to repair itself and the person wearing it."

"Interesting," said PD.

"The suit also will become invisible with the wearer so they won't have to run around nude to maintain their invisibility. The suit also multiplies the strength and speed of the wearer tenfold allowing even the weakest individual to lift several times his own bodyweight."

"Amazing! And you build this yourself?"

"Yes, as I did everything in this lab. The suit is shaped like a woman's body because it was made to fit the wearer--you."

PD quickly backed herself up against a wall and her face turned red again. "Whoa now," she said, "I'm not going to be your little guinea pig here--or your errand girl. If you want someone to run around in that thing for you, call a swimsuit model!"

"Very well," said Kuda, "I guess you can go back on to the streets fighting for any job you can get and praying for you next meal to come in less than three days."

PD's face was no longer red. She thought about had she constantly had to fight for survival. How as a child she had to pretend to pick pockets and take food from stores just to have something to eat. Then her thoughts went to her teenage years when she got her first job with the mod and finally her assignment from Lisa. Did she really want to continue doing that for the rest of her life? No! He had offered her a chance to turn away from that life and she almost passed it up. "PD," she said to herself, "you're such a dumbass." She stood up and walked toward Kuda. "Fine, I'll do it."

Kuda pressed a button and the tank opened. Kuda pulled out the suit and PD took of the red robe she was wearing. She was about to take of the bikini top, but Kuda stopped her. "No, leave that on," he said, "It's part of the suit. The top will monitor your respiratory and circulatory systems and restart your heart in necessary. The bottom will allow you to control your legs until the nanobots repair your spinal cord in the event that it is severed. I take good care of my guinea pigs." He smiled. "And my swimsuit models."

PD chuckled and Panda felt his stomach turn. "Oh god, he's flirting with her," he thought to himself.

Kuda said, "Now before you put on the suit, I want you to try to lift that piece of equipment over there." Kuda pointed to a big black piece of machinery that looked like it was part of a spaceship engine.

"You're joking, right?" asked PD.

"Just try it," he said. PD tried and, as expected, it wouldn't budge and inch. "Now put on the suit and try it again."

PD put on the suit. It fit tightly around her body and was surprisingly warm. After a few seconds the black lines on the suit started glowing blue and this purple, mesh-like material started covering her arms and legs. White gloves formed around her hand, and white shoes formed around her feet. PD tried to lift the machine again using the same amount of effort. Not only did she lift it, but she sent it through the roof. "Umm... sorry about that," she said.

"It's all good, the nanobots will repair the hole," Kuda said. Already the large hole was starting to close up.

"So why did you give me this suit?" asked PD.

"Because I could use someone like you. Your strong spirit prevents you from giving up even when all hope seems lost and you know the Oberon sector better than I know my own lab."

"Wait how do you know all this stuff?"

"I have been watching you for quite awhile. I knew you were coming to steal my pills so I allowed you to get away with it only so I could catch you and bring you here."

"WHAT THE FUCK? YOU SET THIS ALL UP? WHY?"

"Because I knew your parents, I knew what they were fighting for, I knew why they were killed, and I knew you wanted answers; and that drive would bring you here to me."

"My parents were killed over 15 years ago. How old are you?"

"My body is only 25, but my mind is nearly 200."

"What? Are you immortal like Ness?"

"No, I just found a way to slow my aging process."

"And my parents, why did they die?"

"I'll tell you as soon as you do me a favor."

"Fine what is it?"

"There is a person who is fighting the same enemy I am. He doesn’t know it yet, but he's going to need all the help he can get. I want to you to find him, and whoever's with, and bring them back here. His name is Hrigg and he's lacked at the GRASPING HANDS church in Oberon Level 2."

"Am I to do this alone?"

"No Panda here will be with you, but he cannot become invisible like you can so he will be taking a more 'direct' approach."

Kuda gave her a green pill. "Here," he said, "Take this."

"It's an invisibility pill!"

"Yes, it will allow you to become invisible for five hours so try to complete your mission within that time frame."

"Okay."

PD swallowed the pill and disappeared from sight.

"Panda, make sure to keep a close eye on her. She has the spirit of a lion and the independence of one, too."

let's all go streaking! ;x

Nice work so far. Keep it up
    http://www.pso-world.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic25144_2.gif
    It's either real or it's a dream. There's nothing that is in between.

On 2005-06-20 12:08, PhotonDrop wrote:
    let's all go streaking! ;x
    You first.

>:3 I'm a wizard guy, yay! Though uhh...

<Scrythe> Hey sef
    <Sef> huh
    <Scrythe> Why were we together under a tree for two hours?
    <Sef> I brought drinks.

You two were under the tree meditating and looking for Tact's mana signature.

Y helo thar!

Good story Ness, can't wait for more. =)

Chapter 7: A Room Lit by a Single Candle

That single candle still lit the room and ever since that night, the room was filled with the howls and moans of the old man whom that shaky, wrinkled hand was attached to. His moaning was often disregarded because old people are always moaning about something, but it had been going on for two days.

In another dark room, a robed man sat on a throne. Unlike all the other members, his hooded robe was black instead of purple. Also he never took his hood off so his face was always hidden in the darkness. He was the one they called Master, the ruler of the Void and their god.

Even in his throne room, he could hear the constant moaning of the old man. "This has been going on for three days, there must be something wrong with him!" shouted the Master. He pressed a button on his throne and a screen came up in front of him. One the screen was a room with a woman sleeping. "Lisa!" he shouted. "Lisa, wake up!"

The nubile stirred a bit. "Just five more minutes, mommy," she said. The Master sighed. He knew who could wake her up. He closed the screen and activated another one. This one had a guy sleeping.

"Bret! Bret!" he shouted. "I need you to wake up Lisa!"

Bret stirred a bit. "Don't make me do it!" he shouted. "Daddy said that place was full of snakes."

The Master sighed again. "If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself," he said to himself.

He got up from this throne and walked towards Lisa's room. He moved through the long, twisted halls that led away from his throne from and arrived in one of the few lighted places in the entire complex: the main hall. This was where members of the Void would eat, plan things, and have meetings. Everyone he passed kneeled down in respect. He made his way to the second floor and arrived at the door to Lisa's quarters. He banged on her door profusely until it opened and he almost banged on her head. "Why did you wake me up so early; the Mistress of Destruction need her beauty sleep?" she asked in a groggy voice.

"Lisa, it's 2:00 PM!" he shouted. "I swear out of all the people here you and Bret sleep the longest."

"Yeah whatever," said Lisa nonchalantly. "What did you need me for anyway?"

"I need you and Bret to go see what the old man is moaning about."

"Fine, let's go wake up Bret."

Lisa and the Master started walking down the hall and came to another door. The Master banged on the door profusely. "Oh no," said Lisa. "That wont work with Bret. You have to wake him up in a special way."

She took and deep breath and screamed, "This is Lisa and if you don't open this door up right now I'm going to go in there, jump on top of you, and tell Wendy you were cheating on her!" Bret opened the door instantaneously.

"I live with a bunch of freaks," said the Master to himself.

Like Alandor, Bret was black but he wasn't as tall or as muscular. However, he understood a remarkable number of different languages and had skills with mana usage that rivaled even Lisa's. He also had more hair, which is something he always joked around with Alandor about. Bret was second in command among the Void because of his intelligence. He interpreted the sacred texts of the Void and revised them for usage among the common people without losing any of the texts' richness. He was also the only one who could understand the old man.

Lisa and Bret walked toward the room where the old man stayed and knocked on the door. "So long gunhack tuy rol?" asked the old man.

"Hji," replied Bret.

"What did he ask?" asked Lisa.

"The same thing he always asks when we knock on the door: is the 'gifted' one there?" responded Bret.

"Why does he consider me gifted?"

"Because...he um... admires your talents and your abilities."

"I wonder why he doesn't call you gifted." mused Lisa.

"Because he only respects power and strength."

"And that's the way it should be." said Lisa contently.

They entered his room and immediately the old man's head turned to Lisa. He said in his distinct language, "Good to see you again, Bret!"

"It's good to see you, too," replied Bret in the same language. "So why have you been moaning this time?"

"Because I have had a vision!"

"Tell me about it."

"That one lit candle signifies that Ness still lives, and this will result in the death of our Master. Also he has found the key to reviving our dying star."

"Tell me more."

"Ness will kill our Master the day the mummer dances, but he will not be alone. Several others will be with him: Hrigg, Sef, Tact, Grey, PD, Kuda, Allos, Panda, and TheOneHero (referred to as TOH from now on). Also be wary of you allies because some may end up becoming enemies."

"What do you mean?"

"Love is a powerful emotion, one that can cause people to move from one side of the fence to the other. As for the girl, you must find her and kill her. If she lives then the world will have sun once again and everything the Void as assimilated will be lost."

"Where is this girl?"

"Find Ness and you will find the girl. That is all I can tell you, now leave me."

Bret turned to Lisa and said, "It is time for us to go now." As they closed the door they could hear the old man laughing.

"I noticed that even though he talked to you, he never took his eyes on me," said Lisa.

"That's because he respects you and your gifts," replied Bret.

"So what did he say exactly?"

"I'll tell you as soon as we reach the Master's throne room."

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ness on 2005-06-21 11:06 ]</font>

lovely bunch of villians, aren't they?

It's probably just me, but the way the old man said who exactly would be with Ness was kinda weird, I dunno..
    http://www.pso-world.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic25144_2.gif
    It's either real or it's a dream. There's nothing that is in between.

Yay! I get to be a good guy!