Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I know Nothing about computers so please don't yell or curse at me but it will be very, VERY appreciated if someone helped me.

I've been wanting a laptop for the longest for the sole reason of playing 2 games. Blue Burst and Ragnarok Online. I've been looking around for a cheap laptop. $800 or less.

Is this an ok laptop to play these two games.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Compa...oductDetail.do

I understand that i'll need to buy a graphics card too.

Laptops are never good for gaming. If you want to play games on a laptop, you should look at $1000 at least, and even then, it's not as good as a PC. Laptop's have TFT screens, so prepare for some slower screen refresh rates.

I don't even know how much RAM this thing comes with. It didn't say....only mentioned that the RAM is "expandable" to 1GB.

I could be wrong...try to find a friend with a laptop and test out PSO on it. Ragnarok should be able to run on the above laptop though. It's less demanding.

Perhaps someone else here can give you better guidance.

sound designer & break time participant

The ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M IGP graphics card and Altec Lansing speakers will enrich your audio-visual experience...

This card is the equivilent to a radeon 7000. horrible for blue burst.

Ok thanks A LOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    should i look into a desktop?

Like this one

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1109937811602
    Again i wanna thank you guys for taking time to help me. Thank yooooooou!!!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: InfinityXXX on 2005-06-21 11:02 ]</font>

On 2005-06-21 10:37, Rubius-sama wrote:
    I don't even know how much RAM this thing comes with. It didn't say....only mentioned that the RAM is "expandable" to 1GB.

I could be wrong...try to find a friend with a laptop and test out PSO on it. Ragnarok should be able to run on the above laptop though. It's less demanding.

Perhaps someone else here can give you better guidance.
    Under Features, it says it has 256 DDR SDRAM. I'd definately upgrade to at least 512, you can probably just get a 512 stick and get up to 768.
    40 Gig HD may be a bit small, depending on what else it would be used for. Also, 2 USB ports may not be enough, especially if your printer needs one, have a separate scanner, digital camera, MP3 player, etc.

Desktop or Laptop:
    Are you going to college next year? I'd say laptop.
    Out of college/college a few years away? Desktop unless you can use a laptop for work.

For gaming, desktops are almost always better, and often cheaper. Decent gaming laptop would cost over $1,000; probably more in the $1,300+ area.

That eMachines has a shared video card. You'd need to purchase a decent video card separately (sghared is not good for newer games). Other than that, looks decent stat waise, but then I don't know much about AMD and Intel, and I have heard some questionable things about eMachines.

Did'nt we already go over this afew weeks ago and the general idea given by most was to go with a desktop, since you get more bang for your buck?

Wal-mart, Staples, Target, you can get cheap machines that come with everything you need, and in many cases even a monitor included for about $500-$600.
    Look, he did it again.

Yeah, but i posted a link so I can get other opinions on the one i was thinking about buying.I was also afraid to post in the topic where we talked about it because i thoguht it was to old. But thanks for letting me know about Staples selling cpu's.( i never been there before)

infinity... you can buy a small form factor tower and components to build a BlueBurst worthy PC out of for relatively cheap.

no need for NEW and BEST parts. my current system i built when the parts for it were all about 2 months old, so they should have cost more than it did. but i spent about 450 without a monitor.

my system can play blue burst at 1280x1024 with 2x anti-aliasing on and all details on high in blueburst options, and I still get normal frame rate, not even lag when Forces start spamming techniques.

if some of the parts for my system were still available on the market, it would most likely cost you about 300 at most to build without a monitor.

general CRT monitor:

90 to 250 for 17"
    130 to 300 for 19"

LCD:
    way more.
    17" 200 to 600
    19" 350 to 700

you're not going to find a laptop that has Radeon 9600+ par quality graphics capabilities for under 900-1000 at least.

here is the case for the small form towers.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16856150120

all that needs is a HD, video card, CPU and memory.

100. thats around 440-450 give or take 50-100$.

throw this in there (above included 100) and get a monitor (above price leaves room for LCD monitor = portable), and you're set.

You don't need a powerhouse computer, if anything, to play games on like blueburst or use for school.

Erm.... --------> correction, add a little bit more on for Windows (pick your flavor). Unless you know how to make miracles happen with linux.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: digigram on 2005-06-21 11:43 ]</font>

Thanks a lot digigram!!!!!
    When I get paid next week I'll go order it!

find someone that at least knows how to build it with the correct parts, I could TELL you, but having someone tell you what to do is a far cry from knowing what goes where and how.