Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is not a hardcore rant, its more of a dissapointment post but its still a rant.

If you've ever watched a channel called techtv..whoops, i mean, g4tv then you probably watch a show called X play.

I've been watching X play for the longest.(when they did the Advance Wars 2 review)And i really loved that show. But over the years its been kind of falling down and now its to the point that i can barely watch it.

Back then when it first came out they use to give good reviews of games. They actually told you about gameplay, some of the story, and they focused on other things about the game but NOW I feel i'm being cheated out of my reviews. When they review a game, they barely talk about the gameplay, story and other stuff. Majority of the review is filled with jokes most of it, not even dealing with the game.

Another thing is that I just feel cheated sometimes. Though i enjoy their half segments like game for cheap bastards, or the soul calibur skits but sometimes, some skits they do are just plain unnecessary. Its a waste of showtime. I mean you spend like most of the time watching skits or segments and then when you finally get to review of a game you get cheated because the review is like 3 minutes unless its a game like Halo 2 or Jade Empire.

I'm not saying i hate the skits but they should try to even out the skits with the reviews and actually focus on the reviews and tell us more about the game.

Like, one time,(this was when i had no contact with the internet because of a virus) they did a review for a game called Shining Tears, now in the review the game looked really cool and i liked the design but through ALL of the review Morgan did not even talk about the game. All she said was like, "Shining tears suck" "This is what i'll be doing rather than playing shining tears.." and i'm saying to myself,"WHY does it suck?" give us some answers, talk about the game. And in the end she gives it a 1 out of 5 but still doesn't tell us why.

X play is a nice show but to me its just not as good as it was back when it first came out. The comedy skits and extra segments are nice but if your gonna review a game, review it, don't just fill the review with jokes and gags, let me know why you gave it that score.

Also, this is kinda bashing on other shows on g4tv but certain shows should be cancelled in my opinion or given help. The main 2, Judgement day and Street Fury(i think its the name)

Judgement day is nice but it feels like its not getting a lot of help. They do better reviews than X play but the whole mood of the show is boring.

Street Fury or Formula D,(don't know which one)( the show with the cars and models and the only show on g4tv hosted by an African American.)is a waste of time. I tried watching the show but i just don't get it, maybe you really have to like cars but i do enjoy the models in the show.

Wow, and I was considering doing a rant about G4TV yesterday

Anyways, I also watched X-play and I also hate it. As a reviewer myself (still waiting for the calls from Nintendo Power ), I notice that they really don't go into any details about their opinion. The only game that I really saw this statement as an exception was F-Zero GX, where Adam (one of the co-hosts) "threw up" to describe how fast the cars go.

And Street Fury? Shit, don't make me go on that. I only wathched two episodes and I'm saying to myself "They aren't even talking about racing games." I turned it off and waited a few more hours.

*A few hours later*

"Hey dawg! Welcome to Street Fury"

Me: SON OF A BITCH!

sound designer & break time participant

I think judgement day aside from victor, is a joke. Tommy knows jack shit about video games and couldn't do sound profuction for a title by himself if he tried as hard as he could. Yet, that still doesn't stop him from judging almost EVERY game by how it's sound and music sounds. Problem is, he wouldn't know good audio if it crawled up his ass and gave him the runs. It is as if he believes when he judges these titles (some of which have great audio, music, sound design) because he thinks he can do better, when he cannot.

As For X-play...

It is acceptable, at least it isnt fully scripted bullshit like filter/cheat/every other show on G4 other than AOTS.

If you want something to complain about, complain about video game vixens, that show makes me want to vomit in some plastic modified girls throat.

Otherwise, do what generally any other interested party does, and don't rely on reviews from one source. Most people have differing opinions, and after watching X-play for so long, about 60% of their reviews are heart felt, the rest I would be hard pressed to doubt were paid good words.

Shining tears? Sega game right? developed by someone else, successor to shining force. Has elements of secret of mana (multiplayer/realtime battles).

i'd say get it when it's 39.99 and lower.(I mean if it is anything like shining force and secret of mana together, how could you lose) right now it's still 45.00 new.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: digigram on 2005-07-07 08:57 ]</font>

Yeah when i saw the gameplay of it, it brought back memories *sniff* of secret of mana.

Also I agree with you and i meant to put that in my first post, about Video game vixens. I've never watched it but I went to their site and i learned abuot it. They actually sit up there and judge virtual video game girls on how hot they are. And whats so sad is that on the boards these folks are actually turned on by these video game girls. I've never been turned on by something fake. I mean i can say if a video game girl looks pretty but as far as lusting over it and making competitions such as.."best bounce" thats just kind of odd.

Back when it was techTv i liked the shows more but this whole, g4tv, it just ain't doin it.

Don't even get me started with G4 Tech...I mean G4 (somewhere along the line they took out the techtv). Since the merger I've gotten more and more pissed off at the station. There's just so many things that I believe are wrong about the network.

1.Attack of the Show-First off, why did they change the name of the Screen Savers to attack of the show? It's stupid and this caused the leaving of one of the only decent hosts they had left, Mr. Kevin Rose. Don't get me wrong, this is one of the only shows I'll still sit down and watch on the network, I just think they made a mistake with it.

2.Xplay-I saw no need for them to change the name of the show from Extended Play to Xplay to begin with, but that and the fact that they tend to be a little lacking with some reviews are my only complaints for it. Personally I agree with many of their opinions and review scores.

3.Judgement Day-I think Vic has some clue of how to review games and Tommy knows what he's talking about in sound departments (he is a decent composer afterall) but overall I can't stand their reviews. When you compare their scores to the overall scores of other media outlets, JD scores always seem to be way off and for stupid reasons.

4.The Whip Set- Why do we need a show devoted to drift racing, a niche sport that not many people car about? And then there's street fury, an excuse for Big C (although he is pretty damn cool) to walk around "looking at hot cars" and "hotter women" (keyword slutty and Asian).

5.FILLER SHOWS!!! RAAAH!-The following include all of the overplayed, content way lacking, usually commercial heavy, and overall bullshit shows on the network:

-Video Game Vixens (I swear to God I saw the same episode on 6 times in one day)
    -Cheat (who honestly watches tv for cheat codes flashed on screen for a few seconds?)
    -Arena (was cancelled last year but they keep playing reruns)
    -Electric Playground (essentially a previews show that overhypes everything discussed and is usually showing 1-2 year old reruns)
    -Cinematech (Hey guys! Let's watch opening cinematics from games for a half hour!)
    -Robot Wars (if anyone seriously watches these reruns please tell me)

5.Filter, G4TV.COM-I actually have little problem with either of these shows. Go Figure.

Yea, TSS/AOTS is like the only show that i will take time out of doing other stuff to watch on G4 TECH TV. The others i watch only because im bored.
    Cinematech, Arena(sometimes its pretty cool), and Icons are the only other ones I'd watch.

Bribes run fast and free behind every single show aired on that excuse for a channel. 'Cept they call them "sponsorship" in TV land.

The following program has been brought to you at the cost of the hosts' souls.

Crazy Awesome Old Potato Man Guy HAYABUSA-FMW-'s Avatar

XPlay shouldn't be your first source of reviews.
    Considering it is a half hour TV show, they won't spend much time going into detail, pull a skit, and BAM!, commercial break.

IGN, or 1up.com, which review things with plenty of text, are things I look for if I'm interested in a review.

XPlay goes based on hype and what people already know about most games anyway. I hardly see comparisons to other games in the genre they are reviewing- other than HALO, HALO, and HALO.

I was sitting around watching the Apple II Icons with my mom and she was talking about how those computers were very expensive and only for large offices only. No one else could afford them. That was fun, discussing a TV show as it was running. So Icons is okay, they just should do more of them?

Cinematech is okay when they show gameplay in action other than a long drawn out cutscene from an obscure PC game from years ago. Heh.

You often can see gameplay from games you might not have ever seen before, or just gaze in awe at the latest screens/video from the upcoming Zelda.

want the truth?

G4/TechTV blows except around e3 cuz they give good coverage. there.
    Call me a safe bet. I'm betting I'm not.
    I'm glad that you can forgive.
    Only hoping as time goes, you can forget.

E3 would've had good coverage had I not zapped to the exact same report clip eight times in succession. I think they reran the God damned E3 show a dozen times in the course of 3 days. Jesus Murphy...
    "Sword logic? That's cute."