Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

http://phantasystaruniverse.com/

The section about "The World of Phantasy Star Universe" has been updated with information about techniques.
    I guess if someone could translate it, it'd make things clearer about how techniques work in PSU.

Sadly, not one kanji has furigana on top, otherwise I could make out what it says pretty well. I'll be trying anyways -gets kanji book- (needed to get studying anyways). Even if there isn't a translation, those techs look amazing O_o
    From PSO Ep 1-4 to PSU, PS0, PSP 1-2, and now PSO2... it's been a long journey.

techn0rganic

That second picture looks like a shinku hadoken!

I think it's going to be the same general info about the types of techniques as was in that Japanese magazine recently, as the pictures look similar (same?).

I don't think we will get clear details on how they are used till they put the System section of the site up unfortunately.

the 4th pic looks like fire is coming out directly from the weapon
    i wonder if it's the pp system we are talking in http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.p...57&forum=20&19
    Blink & you might miss it! ;3

Oh, keep sig at 600x180 px & 49KB, yah?

It doesn't look like techniques are just limited to Canes/Rods/Wands now...

Damn! I wish the english site would care enough to post this stuff too >.< I really wanna know how techs work o.o

From the look of the latest trailer, all weapons in the game have a certain amount of photon points (PP). This is shown as a bar in the bottom-right of the screen, under the button lay-out. The button layout shows 2 named attacks, one normal and one heavy, same as PSO.

Standard attacks don't drain the bar, but heavy attacks do. So a heavy strike with a sword uses a small amount of it's PP. I think the techniques in these screenshots are the special attacks for these weapons, and would also use up PP when you do them. In the same way as PSO had guns with Zonde as their special, or fire wands, ice staff etc. In PSU I expect there will be more weapon-specific techniques, rare wands that cast one-off things.

This does mean that weapons will eventually 'run-out' of PP, and you would only be able to use standard attacks, but you might be able to get them recharged on the equivalent of Pioneer. Or there might be support-techniques that refills PP. It would fix one of the problems of PSO with it's overpowered weapons, and add another element to consider. With this system in PSU you could have a weapon with a very powerful special, but could only be used a limited number of times before it becomes useless and needs to be recharged.

I just hope techniques aren't *only* done using weapons now, as it would remove the customisation element of PSO. I hope a Force-type character can still choose from any technique, and cast them with nothing equipped, rather than be limited to the weapon they are holding. Dual-weilding would allow for some options, but it still wouldn't be as versatile as PSO.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nash on 2005-07-29 12:15 ]</font>

I'm willing to bet that monofluids will restore PP.

Didn't the EGM story have something about how weapons have certain combinations that you have to master? So like, using PSO terminology, Light-Light-Light would have a different effect than Light-Hard-Light.

I know for sure there was something about the 3 combo system being out. So maybe something like Light-Light-Hard-Special would do some other skill, or cast a technique.

Since there's a whole class seemingly dedicated to techniques (Numan), I can't imagine spell casting being overly complex. Maybe higher level spells will require some combination, but will have a very dramatic effect.