Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

One thing I like about PSO is it does not have server side saving.

I'm not a huge RPG freak partially because of server side saving, and the fact that I for one consider it equally threatening to players as hacking. In essence, they hold your data hostage for a monthly ransom.

Let's say you've been playing for 4-6 months. You've invested a great deal of time in your character and found many rares through countless hours of toil.

Then, some ST beaurocrat loses a piece of paper and BAM.. your account is cancelled and your file is erased?

How about all you student gamers? What happens when you receive a sudden demand in extra fees, or perhaps the shoestring income is stretched too thin one month?

As for security... at least there is something immediate you can do to prevent/repair damage when you're hacked on the gc version. If exploits are found to corrupt data or steal items and your data is controlled by apathetic it managers, it makes recovery harder.

For the above reasons, I personally like the fact that I control my character data in the GC version.

I sincerely hope they will allow you to back up your data through official means client-side. By overlapping the two you can avoid a lot of the drawbacks above without opening the door to rabid duping/hacking.

One thing I like about PSO is it does not have server side saving.
    Where did you hear this?

lolDiads
    If Diad was a planet in PSU, I'd live there

You've invested a great deal of time in your character and found many rares through countless hours of toil.
    Sorry but... it is not possible to "toil" through a videogame. Games are recreation, not a second job. Heh...

That's why they don't delete accounts just because you cancel them for a while; buy a new HL once you can play again and oh, surprise, everything's still there.

This method is only a threat for hackers, not for us regular players; don't cry out storm where there's none.

Interesting side note: PSOBB has server side saving ONLY.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DarK-SuN on 2005-08-28 08:31 ]</font>

On 2005-08-28 04:14, plasmacutter wrote:
    Then, some ST beaurocrat loses a piece of paper and BAM.. your account is cancelled and your file is erased?
    I'm more worried about a clumsy ST employee spilling Pepsi over the server containing all the save files.

techn0rganic

They save our characters on paper? I didn't know sega was that poor.

Ok.. darksun made an intersting point and possible correction.

I do hope it's the case that they keep your data if you've taken a hiatus from your hunter's license (I don't use psobb as they apparently hate mac with a passion, so I was not aware of this). If this can be confirmed I don't have as much of a problem with it, but it still doesn't give you affirmative means to rescue your data in case of exploit, and that's a big rub.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: plasmacutter on 2005-08-28 10:54 ]</font>

On 2005-08-28 10:52, plasmacutter wrote:
    Ok.. darksun made an intersting point and possible correction.

I do hope it's the case that they keep your data if you've taken a hiatus from your hunter's license (I don't use psobb as they apparently hate mac with a passion, so I was not aware of this). If this can be confirmed I don't have as much of a problem with it, but it still doesn't give you affirmative means to rescue your data in case of exploit, and that's a big rub.
    What PSOBB does at the moment is that your character data stays on the server for 80 days (I believe) after you cancel your account. Diablo 2 also allows chracter data to stay on the server for a certain amount of time (2 months?)

Server Side Saving = Less idiots who for some reason have a vendetta agiasnt Sega and Sonic team, and also script idiots annoying trollers and spammers who use hacked stuff.

:3

I prefer a good old memory card... Just for the fact that when the game is good and dead I can go back to it , pop in my memory card and still have all of my old stuff... I don't like that my character is tied to the server forever... Oh well... I suppose it has it's benefits... Including not becoming too attached...