Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Troubleshooting in advance, nyan!

Since my guide is unorganized and confusing, you can contact me for connection help via private message, AIM, ICQ, or MSNM. Provide your ISP provider's name, type of connection, and a discription of your network layout to make my neko life easier.

*Broadband modem in this guide refers to the DSL/Cable/ADSL modem, not the gamecube's modem. The Gamecube's modem is simply called Gamecube by me.

-

I predict the #1 reason people won't be able to connect to PSO with a BBA is MAC Address authentication.

If your computer is directly connected to a broadband modem, this information is for you. Those currently using a router are already set and probably don't need to read this.
    -
    The first setup to try is to simply disconnect the computer from the broadband modem and plug that same cable into the gamecube (Making the gamecube directly connected to the broadband modem). If PSO connects just fine, then you're a lucky cat. You can either continue to just swap the cable when needed, or you can use a router to do the switching for you.

The second setup to try, if PSO fails to connect with the above setup, is to disconnect the power to the broadband modem for a few minutes and then reconnect it. If PSO still fails to connect (even when the power has been disconnected for 5 minutes and then reconnected), then you may have an unsupported type of broadband. This can usually be solved by using a router.

The third setup is to connect the broadband modem to a router, and connect the computer and gamecube into the router. In all cases, routers will keep your computer and gamecube connected to your broadband modem, preventing you from having to switch the cables manually. A router can also make a PPPoE or other unsupported connection work with the Gamecube.

Fun drawing!

• The things you want a router to have are:
    • The proper WAN connection that will connect to your broadband modem.
    • Support for your ISP provider's type of connection (PPPoE, DHCP, static IP, ect)
    • RJ-45 Lan jacks to connect to the gamecube.
    • Ability to clone its own MAC address to work with MAC Address authentication ISPs.

Amazon.com sells dirt cheap linksys routers:
    4-port router
    4-port router with wireless capabilities

If the router doesn't connect to the broadband modem, try disconnecting the power to the broadband modem for 5 minutes. If that fails, clone the MAC address on the router through its setup.

If all else fails, ask me =-_-=.

Post Farmer (minus the S)

Oooooh, nice. I guess I should be all setup then with my router... er, when I get my router setup.

Any idea if campus networks (in residence halls) will pose problems?

On 2002-08-25 21:02, WraithAkaMrak wrote:
    That's right, don't call it a dorm. Gotta be pc... o.O;

On 2002-08-25 21:23, rbf2000 wrote:
    On 2002-08-25 21:02, WraithAkaMrak wrote:
    That's right, don't call it a dorm. Gotta be pc... o.O;
    Heh. I say it both ways. Doesn't matter to me.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: WraithAkaMrak on 2002-08-28 08:43 ]</font>

Blue Harmony

I would like to add that if you have already the computer, you do not really need the router.
    You can use your computer as a router.
    You only need routing software (buy it for Win98 SE and up, FREE for linux) and a second ethernet card (dirt cheap).
    That's how my DC and Xbox connect. Routers are not the mainstream objects in EU they are in the US. Here they are sold as ... Pro gear and such carry the Pro price tag ;_;

Mmm... BestBuy is selling linksys routers for $60 with a $10 rebate.

I don't foresee any problem with this, but the way I connect to my schools network is simply by plugging the cat5 cable into the wall, and configuring the DNS and IP (I have a static IP.). No username, no password. Will there be a way to set up the IP address in the Gamecube so that I will be able to play it over the network?

Yeah, we got our Netgear router from Best Buy for $70 - $20 mail in rebate (though the rebate took several months to get here).

I don't foresee any problem with this, but the way I connect to my schools network is simply by plugging the cat5 cable into the wall, and configuring the DNS and IP (I have a static IP.). No username, no password.
    Yes, that's the way I hook up my PC to the network. The only reason I question the GC's connectivity is because file-sharing clients (Kazaa, Morpheus, etc.) don't seem to work in my dorm anymore. (They work fine at home.) So I'm wondering if they have a firewall set up for that. And if this will affect getting the GC (or Xbox) online there.
    Will there be a way to set up the IP address in the Gamecube so that I will be able to play it over the network?
    Do you mean with other GCs on that network? Without going to Sega's servers?

On 2002-09-12 15:02, WraithAkaMrak wrote:
    The only reason I question the GC's connectivity is because file-sharing clients (Kazaa, Morpheus, etc.) don't seem to work in my dorm anymore. (They work fine at home.) So I'm wondering if they have a firewall set up for that. And if this will affect getting the GC (or Xbox) online there.
    They do that at my school too. All they do is block the ports that KaZaA uses.
    Will there be a way to set up the IP address in the Gamecube so that I will be able to play it over the network?
    Do you mean with other GCs on that network? Without going to Sega's servers?
    No no. The way I connect to the internet is by being on campus, and "dailing in" (I guess is the best way to describe it) with my specific IP address. The reason I have doubts is because I don't know if there is a feild where you can put in your ip address. If I don't have the IP address, than I can't connect to the network, and that means I can't get online.