Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello, totally new to these parts. So be nice lol.

I just been reading about Phantasy Star U and what I read (on here) said that you will not need a Hard drive for the PS2 when going online. This might sound stupid, but from also reading I read there will be new content for several years for PSU. So if no hardrive how is the content going to be made available for the PS2. I don't have a PS2 but I was considering getting one when this game is released. I have an Xbox though, as we all know rules!

Anyways thanks for reading,

Take Care

Circ

Memory cards.

They're most likely going to pull a PSO, and by "adding content," they mean, they're going to rearrange currently existing content, and let you download scripts for new quests and such.

ProTip: To damage your credibility, simply call any of the Phantasy Star games "massively-multiplayer."

I think it's going to be like GameCube, etc, in that the updates will be server-sided... or something. I dunno. I was curious when I read that tidbit, too.

Naka says in an interview that Sony C-blocked them on the HDD support.

The new slim model of the PS2 doesn't support the HDD, so it made sense for them to make the game work without it. Most additional content will just be quests or unlocking what is already on the game disc anyway, so it won't need much space.

PS2 memory cards are a lot bigger than DC/GC ones were, so they'll be able to do more with downloads if they choose to as well.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nash on 2005-11-04 01:16 ]</font>

I wouldn't worry about it too much, ST has it all figured out. They wouldn't hook us up with a really good game and forget about putting the stuff to add over the years on the disc or not have thought of a way to transfer that to our data.
    Life is just a lie with an "f" in it.

With server-side saving, theres no real need for the HD. Sure, it would be nice...as an option. Based on everything being server-side, content will be brought up off the disc & also written & saved onto the server, much as how its done on EQOA.

I believe the real issue isn't so much about content, as it is about patches and updates. Limiting patches and updates to just memory cards has the same potential problems as PSOGC faced, no way to fix any problems that arise. It also means the possibility of more 'version' games like DreamCast had. Now, hopefully I am wrong about these and that Sega already has plans to fix these issues, but if not then it won't be something that would be completely unexpected either.

But, the primary concern I have is if because of this, PC and PS2 versions could be separate games. This has all been said before, I know, but still it concerns me as I shall be getting the PC version and a number of people I know will be getting PS2. PS2 and PC games have already been linked before, FFXI, 4x4 Evo, etc. But the only MMO game that I can think of that is, has harddrive support. Let's just hope Sega has already worked through this and I am just kicking up smoke rather than real issues.

Point noted, but, since chars are going to be server-saved, all patches should (& I stress the word should) be added there as well. As good as the HD would be for a game like PSU, Im sure theres going to be more than enough room on ST's servers. That is, if the space is put to proper usage & maintenance.

If content updates are done server sided, then, well..I hope it's not like Final Fantasy XI when it comes to maintenance. Maintenances take 4 hours + generally, and it was recently explained because they had to do some server reboot procedure or whatever.