Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Considering that PSO was made 5 years ago, when the 128-bit generation was still getting started, the room for improvement both graphical and gameplay wise is exceptional.
    I've got a good feeling about this game. It doesnt look like so much of the other Sega/ST games that seem to be simply pushed out the door to generate money. Even the waaay early build I played at E3 last year was enjoyable at least as much as PSO and that was just a taste of watered down single player. So you didnt even get to mess with stats, rares,parter bots, etc. and it was still a fun game.
    My biggest concern is how well Sega will run the game once released. Will it have perpetually laggy servers like PSO? Even the xbox version, which is broadband ONLY, lagged just as bad as the DC dail-up version. That spells crappy servers to me. And will Sega take a more active stance in dealing with cheaters? Fix those, and I'd be happy just to play the same ol' PSO with a visual upgrade.

The Local Bartender

On 2006-02-05 14:25, Ancient wrote:
    Considering that PSO was made 5 years ago, when the 128-bit generation was still getting started, the room for improvement both graphical and gameplay wise is exceptional.
    I've got a good feeling about this game. It doesnt look like so much of the other Sega/ST games that seem to be simply pushed out the door to generate money. Even the waaay early build I played at E3 last year was enjoyable at least as much as PSO and that was just a taste of watered down single player. So you didnt even get to mess with stats, rares,parter bots, etc. and it was still a fun game.
    My biggest concern is how well Sega will run the game once released. Will it have perpetually laggy servers like PSO? Even the xbox version, which is broadband ONLY, lagged just as bad as the DC dail-up version. That spells crappy servers to me. And will Sega take a more active stance in dealing with cheaters? Fix those, and I'd be happy just to play the same ol' PSO with a visual upgrade.
    I believe SEGA said somewhere(or more appropiately, ST) that they will take more effective measures in dealing with hacks and cheaters. I truly hope they keep this promise, because that's probably why the servers are laggy, O_O.
    I'm thinking that also because they're going Cross Platform(and possibly Cross Regional), they're going to have to pull something out of their ass in order to cease constant lag. Hopefully, it'll be broadband only(I forgot if it was or not). Sorry, 56kers, but I'm thinking broadband would give everyone(yes, including selfish old me) a much better experience, .

Character customization. Didn't a few people calculate that with all the option combinations, there are millions or billions of unique designs possible?

Anyway, it's quite interesting. I rarely ran into any Racasts that looked like mine on all the versions of Phantasy Star Online that I played. That's what made me feel warm and runny fuzzy inside -- my character was unique.

And now with the flexibility of raising your characters with PSU, you can even design your character to be even more unique in their abilities and so-on.
    SUPER WIZARD EMPEROR

Svm Inimicus Mali

On 2006-02-05 15:31, Uncle_bob wrote:
    Character customization. Didn't a few people calculate that with all the option combinations, there are millions or billions of unique designs possible?
    That'd be me. The posts in question:

Kupi wrote:

A point of interest: by EspioKaos's figures, discounting voice type and all the variation allotted by factors affected by slider bars (eye color, facial proportion, hair color, and body proportion), there are 109,440,000,000 unique combinations of body parts for human males.

That's just for one of eight possible character types (four races, two genders).

Is anyone still concerned that they won't be able to make something unique that they'll like?
    Okay, so some new math: given IGN's "four face types, six eye types, nineteen eye eyebrow types, thirteen eyelash types, two ear types, fifty-six hairstyles" and "five underwear settings" plus the Network of PSU's fifty options for jackets, pants, and shoes (which I assume is actually a minimum, considering how much the hair has been expanded), that's a total of 414,960,000,000 unique combinations BEFORE using the facial slider bar, body proportion slider bar, hair color, skin color, and eye color, for one class. That's up from my 109,440,000,000 calculation for human males, and also, need I remind you, with fewer options assumed for jackets, pants, and shoes that will probably be included.

Well near 415 billion possibilities. Ye Light.
    So yeah. Even excluding the slider bars, if you were to just select parts at random, it would be darned near statistically impossible to create a character that someone else already had. We gonna have some fun with this.

(The math is probably not representative of the end product, though. Witness "fifty-six hairstyles" reported in the IGN article. I think the final game is going to have fewer. Still. Millions and billions.)

The Local Bartender

Spiky Hair FTW

I use internet slang for comedic purposes only.

I hate spikey hair. Was it just me or were 90% of the hackers/cheaters on DC PSO HUmars with the spikey hair? Yet thats not really why I don't like it... I just thought it looked ridiculous in PSO. Maybe I'll like the spikey hair option (or options) in PSU. If not I'll just go with my character's classic shoulder-length hair.

Yes, everyone wanted to be a Saiyan/Sephiroth looking HUmar before their evil hacking ways began. Since it was brought up, has anyone here played PSO on broadband? Ive played online with broadband before, but, not PSO. Just wondering was it dramatically better? PSU is gonna rock now cause I do have the broadband waiting for it.

The Local Bartender

Yes, it's much better.

I just fear for FSOD & BSOD. In EQOA, it was annoying, but, wasnt as detrimental for your char or your items as it was on PSO. Everytime it would happen on PSO, well...lets just say I wasnt a happy camper. Now, that Ill be on broadband, I hope its severely lessened. I know it wont go away completely & Im taking into consideration the server-side saving shall potentially protect our chars better.

PSU will be server based, will it not?

If I'm not mistaken, you shouldnt lose anythign when the game crashes for whatever reason.