Out of curiosity: If tekkers can ID the same ???item differently, then can they ID the same ?SpecialItem differently? I am about to try it.

from what i've seen, they can only guess the +x part wrong.... they will never say a dragon slayer is a sword +3....
    MBlaster

Tekkers will NEVER get the base item wrong. If it's a DB's Saber, it IS a DB's Saber, period.

Here is what I know of tekkers:

The most noticable thing a tekker can get "wrong" is the +X. You can see this when you bring in a ??? ITEM +5, and he calls it a Dim ITEM +2. If you care, tell him you think he's wrong and try again.

Tekkers can also get the special prefix wrong. This is a little more tricky since it's not as clear cut as mear numbers. Most types of special ablities have a few different prefixes that do the same thing, but at varying effectiveness (ex: a Storm Autogun is better than a Thunder Autogun).

By far the most IMPORTANT thing a tekker can get wrong is the Photon Affinity toward monster types (ei: the % effectiveness). This is something you should all pay very close attention too. Most people don't know it, but Photon Affinity makes a HUGE differance. I'd estimate that 10% is equal to about 25 ATP (might even be higher).

One example I have is my Flowen's/Drangon Slayer comparison. The Dragon Slayer has 60 more ATP than the flowen's, hence it should be better. Sadly, when the cards are down, it's not in my case. My Flowen's has 40% to Machines and 30% to Dark. My Dragon Slayer only has a 10% to Machine (all unnamed %s are 0%). That 30% jump for both Machine and Dark makes a HUGE differance when I fight in the Mines or Caves. Where my Dragon Slayer will only do 210 Damage on the standard strong attack, my Flowen's manages 280.

Anyway, since these numbers are so significant, this is where you have to force the tekkers to show all their cards. I'd gladly give up +5 or even +9 for a little Photon Affinity. If nothing else, the +X i can grind for, the %s I can't.

Now you can't just MAKE a weapon have Photon Affinity by identifying it 1000 times. Some items just plain don't have any. If you look at an item while still unidentified, you can get a good idea what to expect. Any item that has 0% is almost garenteed to stay that way, no matter how many times you ID it. Since most items will have all zeros before you go in, there's not much you can do about it in those cases. Take note only of those that are not zero.

Now that you know what %s to keep an eye on, bring it to the tekker. The %s you see pre-IDed are sort of the mean of what the % can be. If you try enough, you can swing the value up to 10% in either direction (at least, 10% is the most I remember seeing). If you happen to bring a tekker a sword with +5% to A.Beast, you have to potential to bring that up to +15%. If you have say -10% to Dark, don't worry too much since you can eventually get that up to 0% with enough tries. Watch out for when the %s drop though. Starting at 30% and ending up with only 20% is just sad.

What you have to be careful of is when you have more than one % with a value (if you have one, a 2nd is just as likely). The tekker might ID one as above average, while the other as below. Try to think ahead to where you'll actually use this weapon, and base your choices off that. Presonally I always prioritize Dark and then so on up the list.

That's about all there is to know about the tekkers. Good luck at indentifying better stuff!