Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

On 2006-03-27 14:10, DezoPenguin wrote:

I hate to say this, Ian...but far from being the "stupidest" fan theory, you're probably fairly close to the canonical truth. Especially when you factor in how Rune liked to stand and stare at the statue of Alis in Termi (okay, he might have been thinking, "Man, her kneecaps were way knobbier than that in real life; what was the sculptor doing?" but somehow I doubt it...), AND how Lutz in PSII managed to tell Rolf all about how Alis saved Algo from Dark Force and overlooked the contributions of the entire rest of the party...including himself...

Yeah, unrequited love works for me, there.
    Aww, darn. I wanted to come up with a stupid theory. Though I suppose if you look at it that way, it does kind of make sense, and that's an ancient RPG cliche, too. XD;;; Can I at least have a cookie for thinking up something vaguely plausible? X3;;;

Elly x CAL Terminal??? Um, do you mean the little floaty ones or the big one she sits behind?

Er, maybe I'd better not ask.
    Probably a bad idea, yeah. The floaty one. X3

(No clue about Lashiec...maybe he's not confused by intergenerational artistic differences as one of his Demonic Evil Powers?)
    XD "Because we said so. Now shut up and go whack that Rappy like a good little b!tch."

Rune: Uh, Lashiec, you might want to get some glasses. I'm not quite exactly Lutz.
    Lashiec: Shut up and die, Lutz!
    Rune: Argh! Why are you so obsessed with the idea of me being the original Lutz, anyway?
    Lashiec: Because the creators said so, damn it, now DIE ALREADY.

...Sorry, I'm weird tonight usually always. >.>;

PSUJP: Nai Calus, M. B. 176 FI 20 | Elly, F. N. 42 FT 5 Requiescat in pace.

Just wanted to mention...because I'm that kind of self-plugging wonk...that I've got a new PSIV fanfic posted, this time at ff.net. It's an extended Alys Brangwin fic (what's that, my 26th Alys story?), with chapters being posted every other day (amazing how much easier it is to keep a promise like that when I've already typed the whole thing up). It stars Alys as a Hunter trainee, her mentor Galf, and their first meeting with some guy with light blue hair...

Anyway, here's the link:

Techniques of Chaos

And Ian, you do get a cookie, but it's going to have to be a white chocolate macadamia nut cookie, 'cause we save the chocolate chip for stupid theories.

Hmm. White chocolate is the solidified manifestation of all that is wrong and evil and scary in this world, but macadamia nuts are next to god. It'll do. *munches* Thanks. XD

Whoo-hoo! *pounces story* This'll give me something to look foward to for a bit. X3

So, assuming they ever re-release PSIV in some form, do you think they'll actually bother fixing the L99 bug, or will they just leave it as-is?

Mostly like because Lutz consious was contained in the memory sphere that Rune now possed in his head. Or at least the information within it. Kinda like the Matrix of Leadership from Transformers =D
    Actually, it reminds me of the character Jadzea-Dax from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. Only, instead of a symbyant parasite living within the host - the memory sphere simply imparts Lutz's memory and conciousness over-top of the hosts already existing memory and conciousness. So in essance, Rune -IS- Lutz... but he's also Rune, a totally different person, simutaniously.

One question I have is.. do the personalities and conciousness of past Lutz's also get passed on? Will Rune be, in some small way, pass on to the next Lutz? While it is only Lutz's memories an conciousness which gets passed on - it is still, for a time, a shared mind.

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!

Good analogy. I think some memories would transfer over tho not all of them. The important thing is to make sure enough of the original Lutz is transferred to the next generation to not only keep his power going, but, the power of all Espers. Esper training has always been very secretive & we didn't exactly see all of Noah's training when he trained with Master Tajima/Tarzimal. There is definitely something to Lutz as he is 'the reverent one'. He is no ordinary Esper & no ordinary human.

On 2006-03-26 14:19, DezoPenguin wrote:
    As far as the furry things go, we have no evidence that Motavia is a hot desert planet. Given the extremes of temperature desert environments experience anyway, fur is probably very handy when one wanders away from the equator. Especially when it switched orbits with Palma.

As for hairless green people on an ice planet...I can't really explain that one. Maybe green was the only color left in heat-retentive skin tones when the Great Light went to Racial-Design-R-Us (slogan: "All An Aspiring Deity Needs To Build His Own Worshippers")?
    Given the presence of cacti on Motavia in PSI, comparing to where these plants exist on Earth, it's likely that it's a hot desert. That's not necessarily a problem, though. The Wooly Mammoth, for example, was always thought to live in a cold environment because of its heavy coat, but further investigation reveals that tropical flowers were part of their diet. Also consider that there are many furry breeds of mammals that exist in deserts including one of the most famous desert-dwelling beasts of all-- the camel.

As far as Dezolians go, I've theorized that their green skin may be an indication of photosynthesis, acting as a supliment to digestional nutrition, which I imagine would be fairly sparse in a tundra climate. This also puts their fire-worship into a new perspective, as it may very well be that they worship fire not so much because it provides warmth (though that may very well be concurrent reasoning), but also because it provides life-giving light. It also provides some insight into the Ecplise Torch, being not just a fire lit during an arbitrary solar event, but in fact a Light made to shine when all else is in Darkness.

Go team ph4il! 02/07/2016

On 2006-04-18 20:05, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:

As far as Dezolians go, I've theorized that their green skin may be an indication of photosynthesis, acting as a supliment to digestional nutrition, which I imagine would be fairly sparse in a tundra climate. This also puts their fire-worship into a new perspective, as it may very well be that they worship fire not so much because it provides warmth (though that may very well be concurrent reasoning), but also because it provides life-giving light. It also provides some insight into the Ecplise Torch, being not just a fire lit during an arbitrary solar event, but in fact a Light made to shine when all else is in Darkness.
    That's an interesting theory, especially in the context that we have really no idea what Dezolian lifestyles are like, given the limited detail that was offered in these earlier-gen console games (well, we know that they have similar dishes and can get drunk, but that's about it...). And your theory does fit with the proven characteristics of the Eclipse Torch (PSI, when it causes the Laerma tree to produce leaves and berries).

Going for the moment with the supposition that Lutz's personality is also passed along, like the Jadzia Dax metaphor, even though it's a little creepier than even I like to get, how much of Rune's personality is his own, and how much comes from Lutz? If it is like that, and Lutz was just as snarky as assuming that situation with Rune would be, what would happen if the person who got chosen to be, I dunno, the 12th Generation Lutz, was this sweet shy person? Or would that just not happen, and someone with a more suited personality would be chosen? (For that matter, would there ever be a female Esper chosen for the role? Would anyone even notice if one were? XD)

Re wondering if Rune's knowledge would also be passed along to the next Lutz, it would make more sense if it was... Otherwise he would have to tell the next one, assuming they're chosen before the previous one dies, everything that happened with the Profound Darkness and the like. Then again, what makes sense isn't always what is, so who knows. XD

Photosynthesis, eh? That would explain the green, I suppose. XD

Annnd back on the subject that's been beaten to death already... Is there always a Lutz, or are there period when there isn't? The Compendium says Lutz died in 1299, so if we accept that as fact, in the intervening 985 years between then and 3084, there have only been 4 people to bear the title. Rune probably hasn't been Lutz for that long, so we've got three people to fill probably a good 960 years or so, depending on how old Rune is, for an average of 320 years per Lutz. So either Espers have ridiculous life spans or there isn't always a Lutz around. (Or I suppose you can theorize that the cyrogenic chamer Lutz used was still working for a while after he died and the second one used it for a while, but in that case it brings up the question of why the original wasn't just continuing to use it...)

Mmm, random ponderings at 1:40 in the morning. >_>;

Edit: Also, Dezo, you need to write another fic, and now. Now that Techniques of Chaos is finished, I have nothing to look forward to.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ian-KunX on 2006-04-22 02:29 ]</font>

how much of Rune's personality is his own, and how much comes from Lutz? If it is like that, and Lutz was just as snarky as assuming that situation with Rune would be, what would happen if the person who got chosen to be, I dunno, the 12th Generation Lutz, was this sweet shy person?
    Unfortunately, we don't really know because we don't know Rune's personality before the merger - nor do we know the personalitys of the previous generation Lutz's. It's possible that each personality kind of rubs off on Lutz, like an accent would for someone who lived in Louisiana for a few years. Or it's possible that just the memorys and experiences of Lutz are transfered over - but none of the personality traits. Lutz and Rune are two very different people, personality wise, so all we know is that there was some sort of change along the way.

As for Lutz being "dormant" for periods of time, I don't see a conflict. The Telepathy Ball may just hold Lutz's conciousness and memories while waiting for the "right" host to come along every few generations, or when there is impending buisness which the Espers need Lutz's presence for. It's also possible that the line of Lutz's was never broken - but that their rediculously long lifespans can be attributed to cryogenics. Remember, that technically Lutz himself was over 1,000 years old in PSII's time.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2006-04-22 22:53 ]</font>

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!

meh, I'm not going to bother reading through all this, probably to many many spoilers anyways...

Just borrowed the GBA set from my friend (I should probably get the GBA-GC to TV hookup back from him to...) the first thing I do in PSI is walk into a dungeon and my mind goes "XD I know this song!" anyways after getting my ass owned by and owl bear, which clearly has no resemblence to either an owl or a bear and makes me wonder how the hell they attack without blinding themselves or screwing up their flight pattern, I proceeded to level up on scorpians and sworm. Now I just need to find that damn talking beast with the medicine around his neck that I'm guessing is a cure for Medusa's stone that has been used on the guy I'm guessing is Oden, blargh! *listens to dungeon theme for kicks*

yeah, sugar highs, late at night, gamers nonstalgia... healthy or no?