View Poll Results: Are arcades really gone for good?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 31.25%
  • No

8 50.00%
  • Things will get better

0 0%
  • Things will get worse

3 18.75%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Crazy Awesome Old Potato Man Guy HAYABUSA-FMW-'s Avatar

Arcades started in what the 70's, innovated then afterwards for decades now. Now they seem to be disappearing since all their main staple type games are all but gone.
    Things like Driving, fighting, sports, & light gun shooters. Less and less seem to be created solely for arcades first, then being ported to consoles. Companies make greater quality games intirely for consoles nowadays.
    Sure there are still high quality titles out in the arcades like Soul Calibur 2, but there's like a DDR 12th mix or what not trying to hold on to its market with re-releases.
    So the arcade market's have been in a steady decline which begs to be asked:
    Are arcades really gone for good?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HAYABUSA-FMW- on 2002-10-05 06:29 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HAYABUSA-FMW- on 2002-10-05 06:30 ]</font>

Straight jackets are all the rage this season. RavenTW's Avatar

I don't think so. I think we will have to wait a few years for arcades to vanish. Now if you'll excuse, I'm goona go beg my dad to take me to the maal so I can play SC2 Conquest mode.
    Nope, no pictures here. Move along.

The man with 1337 in his serial number.

The hypes not what it used to be, I dont find standing in a stuffy room full of idiots playing over priced games only to find that you dont get tickets for the FUN games.

A Red Rose in a field of Dead Flowers, Eternal... Ayame's Avatar
    The field of cherry blossoms, blooming in an Autumns' rainfall...

Arcades aren't dead, I myself find, umm...myself going to arcades more than actually playing at home. Bemani, the creators of DDR, have many other games out in arcades OTHER than DDR. There's BeatMania, which is a DJ simulation, Para Para Paradise, which is a dance game using your hands, Guitar Freaks, which is a Guitar simulation game, and many other innovative music-related games. There's also other games similiar to it such as Pump It Up and Techno Motion, which are much harder than DDR...

And then there's your generic fighting games, racing games and all the good stuff!

So...arcades aren't really dead, just the US arcade division. Some arcades don't import machines, but most do and those are the arcades to go to. The arcade division is still big in Japan, and so there's still alot of great games in arcades, as long as your arcade carries them! Such as...DDR 7th Mix.

Kehehe~!

Straight jackets are all the rage this season. RavenTW's Avatar

Heck, people I've seen on Amp It Up move faster than The Flash. Then we got CarnEvil, the entire Marval-Capcom vs. series, Area 51, Time Crises, a waterski sim, Sega Super GT, A flight sim, Tekken 2 and 4, MK 3 and 4, Gauntlet: DL, Turkey Hunter, and let's not forget the fabled SC2.
    Nope, no pictures here. Move along.

arcades are so dead.

Post Farmer (minus the S)

There is only like 1 arcade in my town and it totally sucks ass, plus its a 30 minute drive from where I live.. so to me arcade's are dead.

The closest arcade I know of is a 45 minute drive from where I live and it's not that good. Sometimes I go shopping and stop by there. But I havent even been there in 4 months maybe its gone.

There are 2 or 3 Gameworks in my area, but I never go to any. The reason being they're in malls. The crowds they bring in malls keep me far, far away from any arcades there.

Why go out when you can stay in?

No arcades are not dead, most arcade machines are used to test the market for what kids will play anyhow. Most local arcades here in miami are thug filled which can be fun for me, play a game and beat some fuckheads ass irl. Those DDR type machines sure will work themselves for all they can. I'm sure actually VR machines will start to become more economical to play and more economical for arcades to even buy and thats what the future will hold in our arcades.