Thread: Book binding

Hello, friends. Sometime in the near future (before June) I will have somewhere in the area of 45-50 8.5x11" pages of glossy printer paper that I will want to make a book out of. Can anyone with experience in this field give me some pointers, or at least some things to steer clear of? At first I was assuming I'd just go to Walgreens and buy one of those slim presentation folders with a see-through cover and a clamp inside to squeeze/hold pages inside, but I realized that 50 pages is probably too many for it to grip effectively (especially when considering that it's glossy, and therefor has less friction). Then I thought about punching three holes through the book and using either metal rings or thread or something to hold it together, but that would likely suck for longevity--I don't want the pages to fall out or get damaged.

Is there a relatively low-cost, low risk way of binding this book?

We made and bound our own sketchbooks in my Advanced Drawing class in High School... I don't remember exactly how you go about it, but we made them into actual hard-cover books - not a binder or anything. I don't think how we did it would work with single sheets of paper, though - I do remember that the pages had to be folded in half.

Ah, yeah... signatures and what not. Hmm... I hope this won't be too troublesome. I really want this to come out nice, but... eek. Oh well. I'll think of something.

It's been too long to remember how I bookbinded more than 50 pages but that was for hardcover designs. I think the cheapest alternative would be going for the soft cover (aka paperback) version.

This is just a suggestion, but why don't you try those places that makes scrapbooks, photobooks, and the like.

Have you tried just doing a Google search for a How-To page or something? Can't say I'd know how to bind a book on my own, but it can't hurt to just look around a bit and see if there's any advice floating around on the net.

Myself am binding a book for a little project, I uploaded some pictures on my photo album that you can look at. Those are just temp since I'm going to put a section on my web site when I get the chance. Other alternatives is coil binding, You can get it pretty cheap, usually about $3-5 per book which includes coil, front and back cover at OfficeMax (I work there *LOL* so I know all the tricks) or any other places that does printing services.

Most print shops also have binding services to them. Depending on what you find, you could get someone to make it into an actual "could be on the shelves at a store" book for you. (like my terminology there? hehe) You should do some shopping around with those kind of places. I know OfficeMax now offers some kind of customizable binding service with their copy service centers now.