Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blue Harmony

I just got an idea for those that live in an area not covered by broadband access, and still want to play Xbox PSO.

Use your PC as a gateway between your Xbox and Xbox live.

Taking into account these facts :

_Broadband services like ADSL have NO GUARANTEED bandwith rate.
    Due to the technology employed, depending on the distance between your home and the access point, you may suffer from interferences that will lower your effective transfer rate.

_Not every BB provider is top notch.
    Some have so sloppy sub-networks (read : cheap) that DC owners (v2 players) couldn't reach the auth. server in japan using BBA.

_PSO network protocol comes from a lean and mean implementation.
    It works on a 33.6k modem. 90% of non-US players use that.

It COULD be possible to play Xbox PSO using only a modem.

Remember :
    _You can use the keyboard instead of speaking.
    _You can mute anyone you want in the game.

Thus freeing your line from the load of voice chat.
    (muting a player's voice should not block his typing, since the latter is policed by server)

In the case a standard modem won't be enough :
    _Use TWO fixed lines (2 modems).
    I think winXP should be able to do it.
    _Use ISDN.
    ISDN is a guaranteed bandwith service that can go up to 128k up/128k down.
    As good as my current ADSL upload (I have 128k up/512k down).
    Remember that some ADSL services are only 64k up/256k down.

I will test this theory with my modem whenever PSO Xbox gets out.

So keep your fingers crossed.

PS.
    My ISDN figure comes from EU ISDN. I think the US ISDN is slightly different.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: saffaya on 2002-10-10 23:54 ]</font>

That's exactly what i was thinking. Almost the same thing as using the dreamcast 56k modem and hokinh it up to your computer to use it as a gateway for the broadband net stuff and having two modems. hope it works for you non bba people

if you are getting XBL just for PSO-X, then I recommend it's a lot better to be in GCN version...why would you want to be in PSO-X??it's the same game...and that kind of setting is tedious...if you have GCN, get modem and the game, connect to internet then you are set to go...
    I think there is no single reason just to get XBL for PSO-X...but if you are getting XBL, then definitely get PSO-X...but not the other way round, cos there is another alternative...get GCn version, same and with extra GBA link mode...
    Well I am in Xbox live beta, and no one will play with you if your ping sucks...if I were to join with someone with bad ping, I would just leave, unless of course that person is my friend...but I don't recommend using narrowband for XBL...the voice chat and all will make it almost unplayable..even in a game like PSO...just get GCn version...

The guy who won't play with cheaters. Period.

If you are stuck in the dark ages (56k), then just get a cube, the lag on Xbox live would be amazing. No one would want to play watching you warp all over the place and voice chat about things they were talking about 20 minutes ago. It would work, in theory, it just wouldn't be any fun.

Blue Harmony

I was thinking about people who already have a Xbox and can't get BB in their area.

My idea is simply an alternative to shelling out up to $500 for importing a GC+modem+mem card+VGA cable+PSO+keyboard+Air Freight costs+customs tax.

If it'd work, it would only cost you $20 for a network card and a cross-cable.

Just wanted to give the idea to current Xbox owners.

As for the ping issue, PSO is the most playable game of all regarding 'low quality' connection.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: saffaya on 2002-10-11 11:50 ]</font>

Junkie of all things Castlevania.

Supposedly the XBox version will have a new character plus the monthly fee thing...

It doesnt matter anyway... I am not cancelling my PSO GC order til I hear from MS that they will have PSO sometime in November... if it comes down to it... I'll just buy both versions.

to those XBox owners without BB in their area...
    US GCN + Modem + PSO GCN + keyboard = about $280
    (Oct 29th, release date for PSO GCN and of course $8.95/month to play online)

not a bad thing considering you can get RE0 which is coming in Nov 12th...also you can get RE Rebirth, Super MOnkey Ball 1 & 2...mario sunshine, star fox adventure, Animal crossing, Metroid prime, Zelda...I think it's a good deal...you will spend a lot more money but getting a GCN is worth it, even if it's mainly for PSO, cos GCN has some great games...
    If you don't have BB in your area and you already have Xbox, and you really want to play PSO...spend a little more, get a GCN....it'll worth much more than playing on XBL, it will be really laggy and no one would ever want to play with you...the voice chat will make the game a lot more laggy than it should...

what about those who dont have the money to spend on the entire gc pso package? i myself dont have the spare money to buy another system, especially just for 1 or 2 games. i think eventually MS will get the idea that xbox live will fail outside the US unless they release some kind of dial-up modem.. what they should have done is provided the option in the first place, and have seperate networks depending on the connection..
    bleh... either way.. im not going to play pso online anymore. ill be satisfied with offline multiplayer.

Mod+Bat = Family Fun

XB Live is for those that have a BB connection... By trying to "trick" the system into thinkin you have one of these you are just lagging the rest of us. If you don't have BB don't get XB Live. I don't want to pay $50 to play with ppl who have a 300 ping! I love XB Live cause it's a closed network for Broadband only... and hence lag free. Tying to go on using a 56k and you'll only teleport like mad since a 56k can't keep up with DSL and Cable users.

In closing... D0n't j00 use 56k n00b!@!!!11 *goes into random spasms*

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Agent_Reav on 2002-10-12 11:34 ]</font>

Blue Harmony

On 2002-10-12 11:29, Agent_Reav wrote:
    I don't want to pay $50 to play with ppl who have a 300 ping! I love XB Live cause it's a closed network for Broadband only... and hence lag free. Tying to go on using a 56k and you'll only teleport like mad since a 56k can't keep up with DSL and Cable users.
    1_Ping has nothing, repeat : nothing, stress it : NOTHING to do with bandwith.
    Technically, it's the time for a small packet to get to the target and then back to you.
    It's a revelator of the 'length' of the network you use to reach a machine.
    Hence a 56k can have a better ping than a BB user.
    (means the 56k is closer to you)

2_The assertion BB=Lag Free is wrong.
    Use a DC BBA or play counter-strike on the PC and watch.

3_You suppose that PSO will take advantage of the increased bandwith of Xbox Live.
    Could be.
    Could be not knowing how lazy and incompetent ST is getting.

4_What will you do with overseas BB users ? Curse them because you saw them teleport ?

It's too early anyway to fear for your selfish pleasure.
    This method of connecting isn't proved workable yet.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: saffaya on 2002-10-12 12:19 ]</font>