http://animal.discovery.com/convergence/dragons/

I had the pleasure of watching this little gem at 3 a.m. in the morning a while back. When I first turned to it, the narrator mentioned "chinese mythology" so I thought it was a documentary on that, so I didn't pay much attention to it. A little bit later, it switched to a scientist talking about an autopsy and I thought, "Wah... wait, what?"

It turns out a few archeologists uncovered two dragon corpses (a mother and daughter), some charred human remains, and a stash of eggs all preserved in an icey cave somewhere in Europe (don't remember the exact name of the mountain range). The show revealed these images every now and then, and proceeded to show a computer animated recreation of the event(s) of what they believed happened based on what information they could glean from the bodies. One instance, the creators talked about finding the broken tip of a weapon lodged in the heart of the young dragon, then they showed a re-enactment of it with two humans walking into an icy cave and confronting the young dragon.

To my knowledge, Animal Planet hasn't been known to show fictional things, so I believe this to be an authentic deal. What do you believe?

I'm a huge fan of dragons and it does seem interesting but they don't have a date where they'll reair it but I remember them advertising this a while ago.

Down for the Getdown

Yeah I remember that from a while ago too.
    I never watched it but I had some friends that saw it.
    They were talking about how a lot of the ancient civilizations had dragon-like figures in thier mythology, something like that can't just be coincidence.

eh? I would think I would have heard something of this if it was a real deal... I would say I'm usually pretty keen on biological and archaeological finds... But I will have to watch it... It would certainly be neat if it was... To suddenly find out there is a base for all of our fantasy myths...

Most legends have at least some base in fact though who can say exactly how much is fact and fiction in the case of dragons. Looks like, from that video, that they are basing it on the idea that somehow a dinosaur of some kind survived long enough to be made into legend of dragons.

One thing I remember specifically about the show was when they were talking about the two distiguising features about dragons: flying and breathing fire. I don't remember if they theorized this or found it to be fact, but the scientists talked about a sack near the pelvis area filled with hydrogen (or maybe hydrogen-producing bacteria, don't remember 100%) that helped the dragon stay aloft in the air. The dragon could also expulse the hydrogen out of its mouth, which would in turn react with oxygen and cause a large stream of fire to spout forth.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: WraithVerge on 2006-06-02 11:43 ]</font>

Fate binds us, destroys us.

Right, but that was more of a "mock"umentary. It was a hypothetical scenario and an attempt to search for scientific explanations behind the mythos of dragons.

It is not fact, so all you people that are scratching your heads or going "OMG I TOLD U SO!".... quiet down.

They used Hydrogen producing bacteria for the breath idea, along with a Platinum reaction or something...

It was a pretty good show, and I've seen it twice... Alien Planet was pretty similar, however. I wasn't fully impressed.

-Logical2u