View Poll Results: Alright I have noticed some people think this game is an MMO while others, like myself do not.

W

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, It is an MMO! Look at the massive cities!

9 11.84%
  • No, It is not an MMO! Everything is an instance!

16 21.05%
  • What Is an MMO?

3 3.95%
  • Who cares! Its phantasy star and its online!

48 63.16%
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

PSO was definitely not an MMORPG. The game was limited to 4 player battles. PSU is limited to 6. The fact that you can "interact" with people in a lobby doesn't really take people to the core of the game where you do the fighting and exploring.

Well, The-King, it matters to me. Upon finding out that PSU was not going to be in a typical MMORPG style, it put me off the game a little.

Celestial Knight of Azure Flames zandra117's Avatar
    My soul is in Gurhal while my heart is on Ragol

I have found the official genre of PSO, Guild Wars, and PSU.
    It is a CORPG.
    A competitive/cooperative online role-playing game (commonly abbreviated CORPG) is an online genre of computer and video games centered around the creation and development of an avatar with the intent of competing with and against others in a global competition or cooperating together in a private instance of the game world.

The term was first coined along-side the creation of Guild Wars, after the developers decided that their game did not to fit under the usual MMORPG moniker, due to its almost total use of instanced playing areas.

Other games in this category could include Diablo and Phantasy Star Online.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CORPG
    "Thol-Falz, tes par rel diemed. Tes syr, weh yi ryukad te reli, rel ken rel obid." Dark Force, your shrine is finished. Your sword, who you returned to reality, is able to be wielded.

Angel of Death
    Walking up and down the Stairway to Heaven

No need to get snippy, its a game, no ones going to die over it, maybe in it, but not over it, lets just agree to disagree, hmm?

Why? Because now people can't KS you? Or a lesser sense of exploration, I'm guessing?

Eh. If you want exploration, go buy WoW or something. PSU is going to have far better combat to make up for that tenfold. Thats the main reason PSU >>> All other MMOs(barring a few, possibly). The combat is actually something you would find in a non-rpg game. Its not just Click, click, click.....

Angel of Death
    Walking up and down the Stairway to Heaven

On 2006-07-13 19:31, EnixBelmont wrote:
    Why? Because now people can't KS you? Or a lesser sense of exploration, I'm guessing?

Eh. If you want exploration, go buy WoW or something. PSU is going to have far better combat to make up for that tenfold. Thats the main reason PSU >>> All other MMOs(barring a few, possibly). The combat is actually something you would find in a non-rpg game. Its not just Click, click, click.....
    Preach it mate

More importantly about the MMORPG genre, it has "endgame" material. PSO never really had that, unless you count C-Mode...

Directed at me?

Well, no one knows what a CORPG is (you'd still have to explain what type of game PSU is after telling them it's a CORPG), so I'm still referring it as half mmo/half mo.

On 2006-07-13 19:39, Wewt wrote:
    Directed at me?
    Oh. Yeah, that was directed at you XD

Also, what do you mean by endgame material in other MMOs? PvP?

PvP is one of them. Another is, and this is the main one, where you basically spend most of your time enhancing your character by gaining new abilities and items and taking on large scale quests/missions with large parties/alliances. PSU's already been limited to 6 people per party, so we'll have to see how things turn out for it.

My memory of PSO was, after you hit the level cap or get bored of that character, you level a new character or play battle mode or C-Mode.

edit:

Exploration gets old. It gets old real fast. I learned this the hard way, and I have to say I really don't care much for exploration in RPGs anymore.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wewt on 2006-07-13 19:58 ]</font>