View Poll Results: Alright I have noticed some people think this game is an MMO while others, like myself do not.

W

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, It is an MMO! Look at the massive cities!

9 11.84%
  • No, It is not an MMO! Everything is an instance!

16 21.05%
  • What Is an MMO?

3 3.95%
  • Who cares! Its phantasy star and its online!

48 63.16%
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Well, PSU is entirely mission based now. And as for enhancing your character....What do you call rares? And synthesizing and clothes play even more of a part in this game.

PvP is much better in other MMOs, but IMO still sucks ass. Not quite the level of sucktasticness as Battle mode, but still mostly sucked. Guild wars is the only MMO that really pulled this off well.

I never cared for exploration, either....I just dont see what pros other MMOs have over PSU.

Endgame... Is something that people do at the end of the game...

For instance... In FFXI there's Dynamis... What is Dynamis you ask? It's where the high level characters in FFXI go to die. Kinda like the elephant graveyard in a sense. Now there's the Aht Urghan area for them to die in, but in essence... They only go to these places to die.

Of course that's a joke, but basically... Endgame is making your character better. Of course, there was rare hunting if PSO but that got ruined, so you had endgame... Just didn't get to do it. Same with finding mates and actually hitting level 200. After you hit 200 you could still rare hunt if you wanted to do it legitely. And there were still quests and such which came up like Maximum Attack, Seat of the Heart, Toward the Future. This was all endgame if you wanted it to be.

Simply put, not many people got to endgame PSO legitly anyway, I'm not saying that no one did. But not many did.

To myself, and a lot of people I knew from the game, searching for rares in PSO got boring too fast as there wasn't much variety at all.

What turns me away from PSO, now that I think about it, is the fact that after you hit the level cap, there was just too little to do. PSU is a different game, I know, but I haven't seen enough for me to think it's that different to PSO.

You just reminded me of the ridiculous level cap Dreamcast Version 2 had >_>

Seriously, what's with all these topics debating this?

PSU/PSO is a MMO/MMORPG. They are online RPGs that you play with other people. Simple enough.

MMO/MORPG doesn't = non-instanced(ahem, most MMORPGS have instances - WoW, EQ2, D&D etc). Even with instances there is 1,000s of other players playing the game online as you do.

The people who think that PSU isn't a MMO are like the people who think every game that has lvl ups, turn-based gameplay and a story is an RPG...

It boggles the mind.

On 2006-07-13 20:28, PhotonCat wrote:

PSU/PSO is a MMO/MMORPG. They are online RPGs that you play with other people. Simple enough.

MMO/MORPG doesn't = non-instanced(ahem, most MMORPGS have instances - WoW, EQ2, D&D etc). Even with instances there is 1,000s of other players playing the game online as you do.

The people who think that PSU isn't a MMO are like the people who think every game that has lvl ups, turn-based gameplay and a story is an RPG...

It boggles the mind.
    ....Every game that has level-ups, turn based gameplay, and story IS an RPG.

On 2006-07-13 20:34, EnixBelmont wrote:
    On 2006-07-13 20:28, PhotonCat wrote:

It boggles the mind.
    But RPG's aren't defined by just that. That's not ALL that RPG's can be. And you don't have to be an RPG to include level ups or have a turn based system... Of course Story... I don't need to say anything there, any kind of game can have a story.

Uh, yeah, they basically are. The term RPG, when it comes to games, doesn't just mean "Role Playing game" any more. Now, it means a game you can level up in with a focus on story, generally having random battles(or battles you get into by touching enemies). Games that allow you to make your own character that have most of this, like PSU, are also roleplaying games because that character is basically you.

They aren't defined by that, if they were, there wouldn't be so many different types. You just defined the genre, it says nothing about leveling up, and it says nothing about being turnbased. Not trying to be too much of a dick, just trying to prove the point that it's not something needed to be an RPG.

Well, maybe not, but my point was they all do fall into the RPG category. Photon Cat said that all games like that aren't RPGs...I disagreed.

Not trying to argue but, An RPG is a game where you make your own character and the game is played from your point of view, as in, you make all the decisions and such.

How does leveling-up, turn-based, and story mean ROLE PLAYING? It doesn't.

The Japanese just label all their games that have those 3 things as "RPGs" when they are not.

In that sence, if let's say, the next Resident Evil had lvling, you'd say it's an RPG? See how that doesn't make sence?

Most "RPGs" these days are just interactive story games.
    Oblivion is an RPG, Final Fantasy 12 isn't.