Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I like and have many original characters. I think artists should have at least 1 original character(even if it's you're character from an online game, because that is your character), because that shows that they have originality. I like fanart sometimes, but not when it's of the most popular anime at the time. I.e Naruto. I like good naruto fanart, but i do wish for other series fanart.

Also, when all an artist does is fanart, i'm not really impressed with the drawing unless it;s colored, b/c otherwise it's just someone else's character you drew. xD And no, I don't like the sailor moon look-a-like "original characters either".

I don't have a problem with original characters, I think up my characters everytime I make one in PSO, they have their own personalities, specialties in weapons, etc. But I do get my influence of my characters from anime.
    Street Fighter IV: Chun Li, Ryu
    King of Fighters XII: Terry, Kim, Kyo
    BlazBlue: Litchi, Noel

Call me if theres any E-Drama

Man i wish i could draw....
    But if people saw my art, they would blind themselves

Well, I'll toss in my two cents, though I'm not sure how writers' opinions ended up getting solicited in a topic addressing authors...at any rate.

The way I see it, the original character is an invention of curiosity in a universe like Phantasy Star's. To me, all actions can be explained in terms of events/facts of the past. From something as simple as 'why did the kid steal from the cookie jar? Because he didn't have lunch.' to the more in depth 'why did he leave a bloody swath of death in his wake? Because his mommy didn't hold him, resulting in adverse coping strategies, culminating in what you see here," there's something in the past to be said about what's happening in the present.

Thus, I see my character strike with the Oroagito's special and I wonder "hmm, why'd he lose HP? Maybe..." And then the imagination takes over in an attempt to explain. I imagine it's the same way with some artists as well; they have their characters in striking and dynamic poses and wonder about the personalities that birth such portraits.

At any rate, I've never considered fan fiction or even fan works in general to be some kind of exact science. As a result, I can't really relate to the feeling of obnoxiousness you speak of FO.

On 2006-07-13 05:43, KodiaX987 wrote:
    Naturally, I've got the same pet peeves as anybody else considering originals: hate of uninspired names, children of demons and angels, fated to save the world and all that other bullshit. Among names, I could go on for days: Cloud, Killer, Blade, Sakura, etc. The funniest is when someone leaves his online nick unchanged to become a character in a story. I can't seriously read something where the MC has a name like Xx_UltraDude_xX.
    I used to write a lot more than I do now.
    Anyway. I don't have a problem with people's original character or their backstories.. only if it doesn't fit into the categories Shuri mentioned. I will mention an example, not PSO but of Sonic the Hedgehog. There used to be this place that I go to... TeamArtail? I think is the name. I got there mainly for laughs. Because you got the most obnoxiously horrible stereotypical characters possible. .. What, half human, half Hedgehog (how?!?!) .. Sonic's son, alternate universe the third sample of some shit experience that is related to Sonic or Shadow. ... you know that type of shit. They are so badly designed, ... like... I can't stand NiGHTs original characters with hair... that's just... makes me want to kill people.

That all being said. I have enjoyed some original characters as well, everywhere. As long as they are not super powerful all mighty and everything revolved around them and every main character fell for them.. type thing. Admittedly, when I was in my teens I have had thought up of similar stories. ._. HEY I WAS TEH YOUNGLING. Anyway. I always appreciate carefully thought out stories and characters, like I have always enjoyed Ian's stories, I'd have my complaints, but I have enjoyed them.

So. Hm. It really depends.
    I have original characters too, their background stories usually kinda blend into what the game story is like so nothing outrageous or special there. It is really all drama. XD I also have original original characters which ... I don't think anyone has a problem with. Hm.

I dunno what I am talking about. Let's end it here.

All these posts confuse me. People talk about original AND derivative characters. I think I'll just stick to my opinion on original characters.

I LOVE them. I love making up and designing my own with a story, I also love to see what other people have made up on their own.

I don't like it so much when people take them too seriously or get defensive about them. These types tend to actually live through their (or get off on) character way too much to the point of skewing reality, it's crazy.

But on the good half of it, I love it and I love the idea of drawing/designing them. I'm not a writer who will ever write an all-text novel (maybe a light novel or graphic novel at best), but I write outlines, scripts, and ideas and do storyboards of what my characters go through. Sometimes my characters are made up as a joke and end up being something more, and some are derived from my nightmares and dreams. I even keep a book beside me to draw thumbnails (small <5 second sketches) and write notes about ones I make up. It may be obsessive... but I want to be a concept/character/corporate image artist, so original characters are my passion.

I should pimp this here fo those of you who like drawing original characters:
    http://www.mojizu.com/
    It's a whole community dedicated to character design.

On 2006-07-13 05:43, KodiaX987 wrote:
    I mean, who has not written a fic about his PSO dude beating Dark Falz?
    I don't fight Falz or Olga. My story begins to migrate when I begin Episode II, III (PSOBB), and IV (C.A.R.D.), but Episove IV is an alternate reality for me because I dislike the C.A.R.D. ending.

---

Original Characters...
    - I am a huge brainstormer, artist, and writer. I think original characters make a good opportunity to bring some new ideas, experience some new situations, etc. I just seem to lack a design or sometimes a new look for a new character. But to find a good original character without being cliched is difficult because of ideas that come up from around the world.

One thing about main characters in comic. Make sure you define him/her to your liking because you're going to be stuck with him/her the whole way through the comic or fanfic.