Page 1 of 22 123411 ... LastLast

I'm a writer.

End of story. I enjoy writing, I enjoy scratching out random bits of nothing on a piece of paper that make for interesting scenes in my mind.

As such, whenever I'm playing an online game, I enjoy writing for my characters there as well.

However, this is harder to do than it seems...

The only game truly friendly to roleplaying that I've really seen is City of Heroes, and even then, only with a small group of people; the rest are complete idiots.

However, Phantasy Star Online (and by comparison, Phantasy Star Universe) has an advantage in this. It's already got a small population of players devoted to the game, and the population isn't that likely to grow due to an almost cult interest in the game. (Opinions, don't hang me on this please...)

I've been playing Online since Version 1. I've always loved the Phantasy Star series, and it seems that with Phantasy Star Universe, they'll doing one thing I wanted with Phantasy Star Online; introducing more backstory to make it easier to run a character.

I'll be roleplaying on PSU. I'll be running a character who has a personality, hates, likes, everything.

I want to ask. Who else is even remotely interested in this? Who else is going to have more than just an online avatar?

well ya roleplaying is what makes a RPG a truely fun RPG experience.

others just play for substance and cheap internet cafe-mood interaction.

but ya you can be sure there will be roleplayers in PSU

Ye, PSU is an ideal game for this. Unlike other major MMOs, PSO & PSU cater to that casual aspect that roleplaying needs.

I'd be interested but it would have to be carried out in a guild I'd suppose. I've been in several of them on WoW, FFXI, SWG and L2 so it does have its share of fun.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: phunk on 2006-08-21 13:42 ]</font>
    www.phnkmusic.com
    www.brandonfoy.tv
    3DS Friend code- 4296-3737-2855

Role playing is anyone's choice; definitely not mine, and I'll respect others for doing so. However, if you do roleplay, please avoid forcing me to do anything unreasonable.

techn0rganic

roleplaying is actually quite fun.

but for me its more of an attitude to play with than an actual character with a background story.

I tried on WoW. I really did.

But even on the roleplaying servers, at later levels your character is simply your equipment.

You can't roleplay well if that's the situation. PSO's always been different in this scenario. Your equipment isn't you in PSO. Let's face it, someone with 10-Star weapons can be as deadly (or more deadly) than someone with 12-Star Weapons if they know how to use them properly. That's what I LOVE about PSO. It's skill-based, NOT equipment-based.

This makes me feel a bit more hopeful. But without Teams, roleplaying might be a bit harder than expected... after all, nothing viciously slaughters the mood than an idiot running up and going "can i hv monie plz?" Any suggestions on, perhaps, some sort of tag that could identify someone as a roleplayer?

Or maybe just RP with the people here.

Hehe.

Edit: I don't intend to force anyone to roleplay. Hell, it's pretty tough to do that anyway, not everyone knows how to do it. I do respect people who don't roleplay and don't interfere in my roleplaying though. So we're still good. *thumbs up*

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShinMatsumoto on 2006-08-21 13:48 ]</font>

Dark. Mysterious. Blueberry Flavored

I would like to try, as I say I would in all MMO type games, (which I never end up doing). I love writing too, but when it comes to playing, I prefer to play. I'm turned off to the idea by the awkwardness of it all. I would like to write a character backstory though. Out of game fiction is more my thing, it's more personal.

I will definitely RP, at least to an extent. There's only so much you can do within the rules of the game, so to speak, but having a persona that helps you to be recognised amidst all your contemporaries gives flavour to the experience.

Hopefully some of the vets will be up for it as well.

It would be difficult without teams but I'm sure the final build of PSU will have a decent enough friend's or contacts list to use.

So count me in.
    www.phnkmusic.com
    www.brandonfoy.tv
    3DS Friend code- 4296-3737-2855