Supply Officer

So, I've got my Broadband Adapter for the GameCube and my HL. I get connected and come to a pretty green scene (I guess I'm in the lobby) with a welcome message about "Minhiro". When I press "A" to close the message, though, nothing happens. Then eventually I get disconnected.

I'm pretty sure it's not FSOD as there is still background animation, plus it comes back with a message.

UPDATE: I can also connect to, navigate, and view the Website (by choosing "Website" from the PSO title screen). I just cannot do anything with the game.

UPDATE: Okay it appears that setting up my broadband adapter to automatically get an IP address won't work. I'm currently on Bellsouth.Net DSL set up with a router. I cannot seem to get anywhere manually setting the IP address.
    I plugged my laptop into the same ethernet line that is hooked up to the GC and got the IP address (ran ipconfig command). And I reviewed my DNS settings by going to my router's IP address in Internet Explorer. I configured manual settings using those addresses but still get the same thing. What am I doing wrong?

UPDATE:
    Technical Data:
    • System: GameCube
    • ISP: Bellsouth.net Fast Access DSL
    • Modem: Westell Dual Connect Modem
    • Router: Netgear Wireless Router
    • Connection to Router: GC is connected to the router with a standard RJ45 ethernet cable.

Tried:
    • Calling 1-800-USA-SEGA
    • Calling Bellsouth Tech Support
    • Checking Nintendo's support online
    • Setting up manual IP address...
      With manual IP settings I can still access and browse the Website, but the connection still times out before getting the Ship Select Screen.
    • Setting up PPPoE...
      With PPPoE I get some sort of failure to connect error...
    • http://pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?t...3&start=0&15#4
    • Connecting directly to the modem...

UPDATE: Okay... I got it to work with PPPoE and the GC plugged directly to the modem. I still cannot connect through the router however.

While, short term, this is liveable, long term it is not. As a software developer I spend a lot of time online and working remotely. If I cannot work while my wife is playing PSO online, then she's gonna pout ('cause she won't be able to play while I work...).

Does anyone know how to make it work with the router? Or, can someone point me to instructions for the internet sharing set up?

UPDATE:... then it stopped working.

So... I went into my router's set up I was able to reserve an IP address to my GameCube using the MAC address on my broadband adapter. Then I configured my network settings for manual IP settings and...

... now I get a consistent No.102 error.

Any thoughts?? Thanks in advance.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Psyclone on 2006-09-19 07:51 ]</font>

Supply Officer

UPDATE: <bump>
    800-USA-SEGA says there's a known issue with automatic IP settings, but cannot give any information on how to configure the GC/BBA to work with Bellsouth DSL, through a router with manual IP settings...

Bellsouth is no help. They say I need to "upgrade" my service (read: pay more money) for a static IP address. Bullshit!

Nintendo has been no help...

I've searched these forums and the Sega of America forums... I've Googled... and I've found a lot of topics very close if not identical to this... but no resolutions.

I'm about three more go-nowhere technical support phone calls and two more hours of experimentation away from saying the hell with it, cancelling my HL, and returning the BBA to Nintendo as a colossal waste of my time and money. The lack of knowledgeable support, so far, is also disinclining me from considering future products, titles, and services from either Nintendo or Sega.

If I am experiencing a "known issue", the procedures to correct the issue... to successfully congifure the GC/BBA to work with DSL, home networks, and etcetera... should be readily available to both Nintendo and Sega support. As a software developer and support tech myself, the lack of knowledge and information from Nintendo and Sega vexes me to no end!

Supply Officer

UPDATE:
    Nintendo: Well, since the error is now server-side (Error No.102) and not hardware, Nintendo bounced me back to Sega.

Sega: Called 800-USA-SEGA and got spoken to, even after making it clear that I have some networking knowledge, like I am an ignorant teenager (no offense to the teenagers out there that know more about networking than me). Finally, after no end of hassles, the support gal can only tell me that Error No.102 indicates that my ISP is not connecting all the way to the game server and suggested that I have my ISP user name and password wrong.

When I reminded her that with manual IP settings there is no option to enter a user name and password (that's only available in the PPPoE settings), and that it's going through a router... which works fine for web access with my PC's as well as getting to the website on the GC/BBA... her response is, "Well! It's your ISP." Needless to say she was utterly incapable of giving me anything more specific.

Bellsouth: Finally, after about the fifth time calling Bellsouth, I get someone who may be able to help me. According to the Bellsouth tech, I'm on the right track by reserving an IP address through my router. However, evidently, I also need to get into my modem settings and enable IP Passthrough.

Since I am work at the moment, I cannot try this yet. Once I get home this afternoon, I will make the necessary modem changes and try again. If it works, I'll post the procedures I've had to follow to get this damned thing configured for online play. Maybe it'll help someone else out.

Jeez! I hope PSO online is worth all this hassle...

Supply Officer

UPDATE:
    Nintendo: Useless.
    Sega: Useless.

[Edited to remove some unfair content...]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Psyclone on 2006-09-19 18:59 ]</font>

Supply Officer

Bellsouth is not quite so useless after all. Just certain individuals, evidently...

So the problem turned out to be my modem and router configuration. My modem was set to PPPoE connection and my router was set with the "No" for whether or not my internet connection requires a log on.

Resolution:
    • Changed router settings to "Yes" for log on and provided log on credential.
    • Changed modem to Bridged Ethernet connection.
    • Used automatic IP settings on GC/BBA

Supply Officer

UPDATE:
    Woohoo! I completed East Tower Quest!

Heh, glad that you've figured it out.
    Blink & you might miss it! ;3

Oh, keep sig at 600x180 px & 49KB, yah?

Supply Officer

Me too!

Now... if I can just. Get. My. Wife. To. Get. Off. The. Game. I could go back online and do West Tower LOL

The worst part is that the final solution wound up being so stupidly simple...