Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Calculus does not suck hardcore. ;( You will do your triple integrals and you will like them. [/threat][/offtopic like woah]

I think the whole point of this, is that they want you to use math, likely considering the previous questions you've been asked, and apply it to real-world situations which may very well relate to circumstances that you will find yourself in later on in life. Honestly, I think that's an excellent method to teach its application.

Go team ph4il! 02/07/2016

Part of college is understanding their logic.

math is almost entierly logic.

using an algebra equation, 2a=4

we use logic to decide that, if two values are inheritly equal, performing the same action upon each value will get the same result.

thus, we divide both sides by two, in order to get a=2

On 2006-10-03 17:30, astuarlen wrote:
    On 2006-10-03 14:35, UrikoBB3 wrote:
    (I mean, unless you want to be in a heavily science/Maths related career, do you really need Algebra, or Simultaneous Equations, or Trigonometry?)
    Yes.
    I haven't used Maths a great deal since School, which I finished 5 years ago. In that 5 years, I have never found any use whatsoever for Trigonometry, or any of the above. I honestly can only see them being of any use if you want to be in a scientific/mathemetics related career (and by related, I mean that it's an integral part of the career).

Trigonometry I can see possible uses for, but things like Simultaneous Equations I'm pretty confident I won't need to use again. Thank God, because I fail at those miserably

But anyway, going off-topic a bit I guess- the question originally posted could be applied to mathematics, although I'd rather be taught the 'set-in-stone' method. Most of what the OP posted could be classed as common-sense.

HUnewearl power since 2003. NGS Official Creator (SectionSkyly)

GO TO HELL C:

It doesn't matter if you use logic to apply is, the same equation will equal the same thing everytime, because, thats what it is.

This isn't an opinion that you must express to great lengths and explain your reasoning behind it. If 20 people answer a question correctly in math, all 20 answers are the same. If I ask whats the meaning of life to 20 people, and they all give a sensible answer, they're all correct, with 20 different answers. How can you call the same destination logical thinking? At the end of the day, it doesn't matter that you think this is what 2+2=4, because it'll equal that anyways.

History is facts and interpretation(And those 'facts' are usually interpretations themselves, so...), literature is interpretation, science is facts and creative thinking, math is facts.

Well, my grade 11 history teacher said it best, 99% of what people know is useless, because they don't know why the know it.

Edit: OH YEAH, IT ISNT LOGIC IF YOU DONT UNDERSTAND IT COMPLETELY AND MUST THINK ABOUT IT MORE THAN SOMEONE ELSE WHO JUST KNOWS IT DOES

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saiffy on 2006-10-04 06:26 ]</font>

"Alex and Christina have two children and are expecting another. They live in the city, but travel to their family cottage most weekends during the summer. They will need a new vehicle once the baby has arrived. Suddenly, the youngest child whips out this huge-assed chainsaw and cuts the older child into 1/3. The baby is born, but is premature and has 2 arms and a leg missing. Dad is a dwarf, and Mum is blind. NOW what kind of vehicle do you think they need? Explain your reasoning."
    MATHS

I don't like math mainly cuz I am really bad at it. I think, however, it encourages you to think in a different angle. Like, when I used to try to solve algebra and such, you need to think one way. No, doesn't work? Try another. The problem of course is, well, when you're in school, most of the time you don't know why you're learning instead of being out doing nothing.

._.

I like girls.

Just "put into y=mx+b form."

That's what my teacher tells me.

I'd like to go back in time find the dudes that made math and after they made math, BEAT THE LIVING SHIT OUT OF THEM!
    Math is the devil