Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    MMMmmm Nice!!!

I am so.....so not able to even grasp how they could come up with that lame (something) score. I am so sick of those game review sites and their something something attitude. Seriously, like it has already been said, it's up to the gamers to decide if a game is good or not and we have given it a high rating...

....But hey, just my opinion, I don't get a paycheck from ign or gamespot so I guess I don't count

Yeah, all the bad reviews I've seen bring up good points, and I have answers for the big ones that apply to myself, at the very least.

For example, yes, right now there's not much to do besides roll through the mediocre single-player story and improve your character online. I say, so what? When you buy a new online game, you're not buying a game, really; you're investing in raw potential. Anyone who has played an MMO or two from beta or launch knows that, but these reviews seem to overlook that simple fact. Sega plans on updating quite regularly, and with significant, story-driven content. At the moment, we're not grinding our characters; we're preparing to clean up after a large-scale assault on the universe we call home. So what if it's not all in there yet? Remember the trials and tribulations of World of Warcraft's hunter class? Hunter is the second or third most played class in the game right now, and it, too, failed to meet its potential in the beginning. These reviewers need to back off a bit and look at PSU as potential, rather than as a complete experience. The fact of the matter is that PSU won't be complete until Sega pulls the plugs on the servers, and, for the foreseeable future, they'd have to drag those plugs out of my cold, dead hands.

See, that's one thing PSU has going for it: a small, dedicated, friendly player base. None of those reviewers really talk about that, do they?

But I digress. I also want to address the claim that PSU's gameplay amounts to little more than well-executed but repetitive hack-and-slash. Well, yeah, of course it does. The truth is, PSU is exactly what I hoped it would be. I wanted a simple, linear storyline. I wanted simple gameplay complimented with depth in the form of character customization options. It reminds me of the action-RPGs on the Super Nintendo, which I absolutely love. PSU is like the Mana/Seiken Densetsu game that should have been.

The point of all my seemingly pointless rambling is that PSU caters primarily to a particular audience. If you fall within that small group of people, you can pretty much disregard the poor reviews.

On 2006-11-06 22:31, AkiraXxx wrote:
    Yeah I was surprised they compared it to WoW. Someone earlier said that PSU isnt an mmo but an action rpg. Apparently this game IS an MMO. According to all these reviews being put out.

Hopefully SEGA/Sonic Team will get its ass in gear now that 2 of the largest gaming sites have marked this game as "horrible".
    It isn't an MMO. By no defnition is six "massive." Yes, it's multiplayer. Yes, it's online. Yes, it's an RPG. But FFS, there's nothing "massive" about parties of 6 in instanced games.

Anyone who goes in expecting PSU to be an MMO will, without a doubt, be disappointed. I expected these "large gaming sites" would at least put the game in the right genre before reviewing it, but really, that is expecting a bit too much of them.
    On 2006-11-06 22:36, AkiraXxx wrote:

If thats the case why pay 10$ a month to upkeep 3 servers, some free games have way more content then this, and are x5 as massive. Your basicly saying this is an online version of Streets Of Rage correct?
    I'm not familiar with Streets of Rage, so I cannot answer that.

Whay pay $10/month? Because I enjoy the game for what it is.

Gate open!
    A place so far away yet so close at hand...

Fuzzy Logik, the game could be so much more. That's why it is scoring so low. The game reeks of laziness of scope and programing. Go into first person mode and stare at the floor. I dare you. And yes, how you take a game critic's review is definitely your business. The best advice is to not let them ruin your experience if you are having a good time. However to combat their points by stating that PSU is MEANT to be shallow does a large disservice to the player base and to the creators.

On 2006-11-06 22:41, Pontifus wrote:
    Yeah, all the bad reviews I've seen bring up good points, and I have answers for the big ones that apply to myself, at the very least.

For example, yes, right now there's not much to do besides roll through the mediocre single-player story and improve your character online. I say, so what? When you buy a new online game, you're not buying a game, really; you're investing in raw potential. Anyone who has played an MMO or two from beta or launch knows that, but these reviews seem to overlook that simple fact. Sega plans on updating quite regularly, and with significant, story-driven content. At the moment, we're not grinding our characters; we're preparing to clean up after a large-scale assault on the universe we call home. So what if it's not all in there yet? Remember the trials and tribulations of World of Warcraft's hunter class? Hunter is the second or third most played class in the game right now, and it, too, failed to meet its potential in the beginning. These reviewers need to back off a bit and look at PSU as potential, rather than as a complete experience. The fact of the matter is that PSU won't be complete until Sega pulls the plugs on the servers, and, for the foreseeable future, they'd have to drag those plugs out of my cold, dead hands.

See, that's one thing PSU has going for it: a small, dedicated, friendly player base. None of those reviewers really talk about that, do they?

But I digress. I also want to address the claim that PSU's gameplay amounts to little more than well-executed but repetitive hack-and-slash. Well, yeah, of course it does. The truth is, PSU is exactly what I hoped it would be. I wanted a simple, linear storyline. I wanted simple gameplay complimented with depth in the form of character customization options. It reminds me of the action-RPGs on the Super Nintendo, which I absolutely love. PSU is like the Mana/Seiken Densetsu game that should have been.

The point of all my seemingly pointless rambling is that PSU caters primarily to a particular audience. If you fall within that small group of people, you can pretty much disregard the poor reviews.

Yup,with that said.

I remember reading some article with SEGA/Sonic Team promising content for 5 years? I know this was said on one of those sites, because that was the main reason I started the game. Now in terms of content, im curious as do they mean content such as, supplying the halloween/christmas/season things for 5 years? Or actually adding more content to the game over the course of 5 years, OR does it mean adding content over 5 years every 3 months?

Ill try to hunt for the article unless someone else knows the link.

On 2006-11-06 22:44, Flame wrote:
    Fuzzy Logik, the game could be so much more. That's why it is scoring so low. The game reeks of laziness of scope and programing. Go into first person mode and stare at the floor. I dare you. And yes, how you take a game critic's review is definitely your business. The best advice is to not let them ruin your experience if you are having a good time. However to combat their points by stating that PSU is MEANT to be shallow does a large disservice to the player base and to the creators.
    Yes, it could be much more than that. But it's not intended to be anything more than that. I myself, and many other PSO-players would be very much put-off if it tried to be anything more than that.

Yes, it's meant to be shallow. Yes, I'm glad it's that way. If you want a more involved gameplay experience, then don't waste your time with PSU.

Also: Regarding staring at the ground in FPS mode, what's the problem? I haven't done this yet, because FPS mode is only useful for shooting things in the air (i.e. opposite of the ground). And if the answer is "ewww that texture is all flat and pixelated and ugly," keep in mind that I don't give a shit.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ffuzzy-Logik on 2006-11-06 22:51 ]</font>

The hobo of PSU (seriously I have no meseta) :(

On 2006-11-06 22:44, Flame wrote:
    Go into first person mode and stare at the floor. I dare you.
    I don't really see any problem besides the extremely ugly target thing (don't know what it's called :/ its the circle that marks where you're aiming).

Gate open!

there is no video game genre for "shallow". PSO was an amazing experience. Certainly you cannot refute that there was a sense of atmosphere and interactivity in the world not found in PSU? The combat in PSU is everything I had ever hoped it to be. It's engaging and challenging. However when these critics attack it for its level design and lack of ambition, it's not an excuse to reply with that PSU is just a bad game. I am a pso player, and I am "put off" that it does not try to be anything more than a game that was released 5 years ago with slight graphical tweaks combat improvements. This game was FIVE YEARS in the making. PSO was ambitious as hell for the time. This game is the exact opposite. I still really enjoy it, make no mistake. But sonic team is just being lazy. I really don't think they invented Partner Machinery and Item Synthesis striving to deliver a shallow experience.

oh and to Vitius: when you go and look at the ground in FPS mode, the floor will start to vibrate and jump around at the seams. it's just sloppy programing.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Flame on 2006-11-06 22:57 ]</font>

On 2006-11-06 22:56, Flame wrote:
    there is no video game genre for "shallow". PSO was an amazing experience. Certainly you cannot refute that there was a sense of atmosphere and interactivity in the world not found in PSU? The combat in PSU is everything I had ever hoped it to be. It's engaging and challenging. However when these critics attack it for its level design and lack of ambition, it's not an excuse to reply with that PSU is just a bad game. I am a pso player, and I am "put off" that it does not try to be anything more than a game that was released 5 years ago with slight graphical tweaks combat improvements. This game was FIVE YEARS in the making. PSO was ambitious as hell for the time. This game is the exact opposite. I still really enjoy it, make no mistake. But sonic team is just being lazy. I really don't think they invented Partner Machinery and Item Synthesis striving to deliver a shallow experience.
    I'll agree that the PM and crafting systems are not shallow, and that's probably why I'm not too happy with them. No, "shallow" isn't a genre, but Online Action RPG is.

You see, the problem is that we expected different things in PSU. You expected something just as innovative and different as PSO was back in the day. I expected more PSO, but with a slightly improved engine. Yes, I'm glad it "does not try to be anything more than a game that was released 5 years ago." Why? Because I really, really, really liked that game, and I still do really like it. I'm perfectly happy that PSU is more of the same, because that's exactly what I want.

And Sonic Team being lazy? That's their specialty. They may be a bunch of crappy/lazy programmers, but I enjoy their product, so that's all that really matters.

Stop trying to over-analyze PSU in terms of what it could have been, and accept it for what it is. Who knows, you may even enjoy it.

Gate open!

haha I do enjoy it! Which I guess makes us talking about it kind of silly. But I only meant to take it from the perspective of the reviewers. And who knows. We have years of content ahead of us. Hell even if there were only a population of 150 kids online I'd be happy.