Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Getting a keyboard can be tough. First off, it's expensive. Secondly, it's a pain to find. Not having a keyboard is tough. Without a keyboard you cannot communicate with your team, which is a huge part of the game. So here are a couple ideas:

1) PSOW's IRC channel - It's there for a reason, so you can talk with other PSOW members. It can also double as the chat bubbles in PSO. Everyone's welcomed to stop in the channel and get some games going, or use it as a place to let your team members know what's going on in your game.

2) AIM Chat - So you and some friends are planning an outing. Instead of fiddling with the slow word select PSO offers, you can gather some screen names and set up a chat. If something comes up in the game, turn to your computer and let your team know what's going on.

These are assuming you can get on PSO and your computer at the same time and can reach your computer and GC at the same time.

Any suggestions as to how we can cope without keyboards?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: pixelate on 2002-11-19 04:44 ]</font>

I personally couldn't stand being by my PC while playing PSO since PSO is a console game. I like to be a bit "free" when playing.

My remedy? Placing an order for a keyboard today.

Other than that, my current solution is to be as anti-social in-game as possible because the soft keyboard is not nice.

The Kid In The Helmet
    That K shaped one up North...you know the one

You could just familiarize yourself with the built in quick chats. After you get used to em they aren't completely worthless. I mean c'mon who doesn't love a good conversation about bonsai trees and being beseiged by GIBBLES.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Raist on 2002-11-19 07:58 ]</font>

I rely rather heavily on the chat shortcuts and symbol chat. I was the type of person who wrote a lot on the DC version, and I'm also a stickler for using good grammar and writing out full words... but I've still managed to get by with using the built in keyboard and pre-programmed conversations. Although mostly my conversations don't revolve around a players location or any items in the game, since none of my close friends with whom I played PSO with on DC have gotten the GC version I really haven't had any in-depth conversations lately... Considering most of my friends are using dial-up to play, I don't think I'll be chatting with them on the computer while playing on PSO any time soon. :/

The Kid In The Helmet
    That K shaped one up North...you know the one

I had never used the quick chats on DC, took a while to get used to them now, but after a while you can spout out responses and questions pretty quickly. The all dont have to be the incoherent babble you hear in the lobbies. And the recomended response feature can be uber handy at times.

AIM works for me

I keep for getting to check out the PSOw IRC chan..

The PSOW irc channel may not always be the best choice for game-chat. Please remember that other people may not want to hear everything going on in your game, and conversely multiple people talking about different games could confuse the people in your game. Use your judgement given the activity level in the channel when you log on, and remember that unless you're using the java chat you have the ability to make a channel just for your game.

That said, #psow is also a good place to meet and set up games with people if you don't want to just bum around the lobby.

On 2002-11-19 09:47, jazzyfox wrote:
    That said, #psow is also a good place to meet and set up games with people if you don't want to just bum around the lobby.
    Yep. That was part of the point I was making. Instead of joining random games, check #psow and see if anyone's up for a game.

I know all the game messages in #psow could get annoying. Meet up in #psow, then set up an AIM chat for your team, or something.

Just some ideas. ^_^

I'm interested to hear what techniques people have created to get around the lack of a keyboard. I'm actually writing an article on the subject right now.

I briefly played the first version on Dreamcast, and I do miss the conversations I had with some people on there. Of course, the lack of cheating in the GC version completely makes up for it.

Currently I have all of my D-pad shortcuts registered, as well as a couple of the function keys. It works pretty well, at least until the keyboard is widely available.

Droid Hunter, Killer of Rappies

Well, here's a solution that those of you with wads of cash and a PC in need of a monitor can use...buy a new monitor. There are several monitors out there which has built-in TV decoders, and you can plug your console into one of those. You can even have the main computer screen displayed at the sametime. Of course, you can't capture pictures with that, since the signal does not interact with the computer. You could also buy a cheap 60 dollar capture card, which will let you plug in a video game system and let you capture pictures off of it(this is how people have the full size screen-caps of the game), and let you chat on AIM or IRC at the same time.